The story of how one cigarette butt sent three people to the hospital and led to four arrests

Four neighbors arrested for fight over cigarette butt

8/10/2006, 2:02 p.m. CT

The Associated Press

DECATUR, Ala. (AP) — A cigarette butt casually tossed to the ground sparked a daylong argument between four neighbors that escalated into a fight that sent at least three of them to the hospital and got them all arrested.

"It's sad that people were injured over a cigarette butt," Lt. Chris Mathews, spokesman for the Decatur Police Department, said Thursday.

Police said a guest visiting Bobby Joe Ray, 42, tossed a cigarette butt toward the edge of Ray's yard on Aug. 4. The butt landed near a fence belonging to Ray's neighbor, Michael Alan Bradford, 24. Bradford got angry and started shouting about it.

Several residents of the neighborhood said Ray and Bradford argued about the butt all day, Mathews said, and eventually Ray's sister, Shirley Lynn Ray White, 32, who lives across the street, tangled with Bradford's wife, Health Mills Bradford, 27, and the men soon joined in.

At least three went to the hospital for treatment of injuries, and all four were arrested Tuesday and were released on bond the same day.

Shirley Lynn Ray White is charged with third-degree assault. Bobby Joe Ray and Heather Mills Bradford are charged with harassment. Michael Alan Bradford is charged with harassment and third-degree assault.

Link

Rednecks are everywhere. Some of the deepest and darkest shades of red I have encountered have been up north. Don't believe me? I invite you to go on a hunting trip to the U.P. of Michigan or spend time in southern Indiana and Illinios. They'll put the Alabama version to shame.

Rednecks are everywhere. Some of the deepest and darkest shades of red I have encountered have been up north. Don't believe me? I invite you to go on a hunting trip to the U.P. of Michigan or spend time in southern Indiana and Illinios. They'll put the Alabama version to shame.

I'll second that. It was incredibly ironic that I was called a redneck when I moved to Maine from Mobile. People had gun racks in their trucks in high school - with guns in them - just like they did down here. The difference is Southern rednecks venture outdoors when its hot, and Northern rednecks venture outdoors when its cold.

I'll second that. It was incredibly ironic that I was called a redneck when I moved to Maine from Mobile. People had gun racks in their trucks in high school - with guns in them - just like they did down here. The difference is Southern rednecks venture outdoors when its hot, and Northern rednecks venture outdoors when its cold.

I third it. I met and was around more rednecks per capita in California than anywhere in Alabama (excluding Tuscaloosa on gameday)

Yeah, I read that yesterday in the local fishwrap. Going by what I believe to be the area of town it happened, it does not surprise me. The majority of our crimes, especially violence, comes from that area of the city. David can second this...that area is avoided if at all possible. It seems the closer you get to the river, the crime seems to increase.

It seems the closer you get to the river, the crime seems to increase.

That's interesting. It's exactly the opposite in Pell City. The Coosa river neighborhoods are among the best in the area.

It seems the closer you get to the river, the crime seems to increase.

That's interesting. It's exactly the opposite in Pell City. The Coosa river neighborhoods are among the best in the area.

Some parts right on the river are okay. But overall, they are surrounded by the crappiest part of town. Alot of the parks on the river, with the exception of one or two, have a tendecy to draw trouble. Alot of our industrial plants are on the Tennesse River, so there is actually not alot of real estate developing on the river banks in Decatur itself. Over close to where I live, we have Flint Creek and Point Mallard, which are watersheds of the river and it is has more of the upper class neighborhoods. But, when you get closer to the main river channel in the downtown area, the neighborhoods get more "unpredictable".

Fortunately, David and I live in pretty good neighborhoods. David is a little deeper into the city limits then I am, but on the good side of town, just a couple of blocks from my father-in-law. I'll let him tell you what street he lives right of off if he wants too. You'll love it. ;) I live in a fairly new subdivision on the outskirts of the city limits, which still has alot of rural area around me. The farm I grew up on is about 3 minutes from me.

I guess DuPage County Illinois spoiled me. I saw no rednecks, except for some of the Tramps I worked around that were from the southeastern US. There may have been some there, but I didn't see any. Remember the definition of a redneck: violent and ignorant.

Simply looking up the definition of "redneck" in a dictionary or asking for synonyms on a word processing program will reveal the complete acceptance of this pejorative term as an actual noun or adjective in America's language. The definition of redneck is n.a poor, white, rural southerner, often, specif., one regarded as ignorant, bigoted, violent, etc. This is a pretty straightforward and damning definition.

It says nothing about country folk with gun racks in their trucks, although most rednecks have the visible gun racks. I referenced rednecks to be violent and ignorant, just as the article described the actions of a redneckesque group over a cigarette butt. That is the epitome of redneckesque.

Alright, fine then. If "redneck" is strictly constrained to poor people from the Southeast, then I'll concede.

I must be a redneck. Northerners aren't rednecks... they can't be.

They're arseholes.

I'd rather be a redneck.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I guess DuPage County Illinois spoiled me. I saw no rednecks, except for some of the Tramps I worked around that were from the southeastern US. There may have been some there, but I didn't see any. Remember the definition of a redneck: violent and ignorant.

Simply looking up the definition of "redneck" in a dictionary or asking for synonyms on a word processing program will reveal the complete acceptance of this pejorative term as an actual noun or adjective in America's language. The definition of redneck is n.a poor, white, rural southerner, often, specif., one regarded as ignorant, bigoted, violent, etc. This is a pretty straightforward and damning definition.

It says nothing about country folk with gun racks in their trucks, although most rednecks have the visible gun racks. I referenced rednecks to be violent and ignorant, just as the article described the actions of a redneckesque group over a cigarette butt. That is the epitome of redneckesque.

I'll gladly buy you a plane ticket back to Chicago.

If you hate Alabama so much, why not leave?

BF, all one had to do to witness this type of behavior in your Great White North was watch an episode of two of Cops. There was absolutely no difference in the rednecks they profiled up that way than what you would find in any trailer park down south. As a matter of fact, most of them get arrested for stabbing and shooting people rather than your typical Saturday night fisticuffs in the south.

I'm with TM. I'll gladly pitch in to make sure Delta gets you back home.

I'll gladly buy you a plane ticket back to Chicago.

If you hate Alabama so much, why not leave?

:clap::clap::clap:

Well said, Succinct Maximus!

I'll keep that in mind. But, I would rather help bring the south into the 20th century, then into the 21st century. Another thing, it's Dupage County not Cook County, huge difference. If only we could lower the highs during the summer months to like 72 degrees, for us folks who have to work outside. The heat down here isn't worth the $13-16.50 :roflol: they wanna pay contruction hands (wages have stagnated over the last 12 years). No wonder there's a labor shortage in the south. Now $35.00 per hour, plus another $15.00 hour in benefits could interest me though. Otherwise, you'd be better off with Mexicans and Rednecks doing the labor.

http://www.ibew701.org/Wages.html

All I can say is....Roe Tahd...

I was thinking the same thing, even if the article didn't say anything about a "Got 12" tee shirt, or a picture of Bear Bryant.

Of course, what nobody's talking about is the idiot who saw fit to flick his cigarette into the other guy's yard in the first place.

I'm not an Anti-Smoking Nazi, but come on guys. Every time you idiots put the butt anyplace but an ashtray, you're just proving the mainstream belief that smokers are a pretty inconsiderate bunch, not caring about anything or anybody but their habit.

Of course, what nobody's talking about is the idiot who saw fit to flick his cigarette into the other guy's yard in the first place.

I'm not an Anti-Smoking Nazi, but come on guys. Every time you idiots put the butt anyplace but an ashtray, you're just proving the mainstream belief that smokers are a pretty inconsiderate bunch, not caring about anything or anybody but their habit.

I thought about that also and I can't stand to do my yardwork and find them in it where somebody has flicked them out of their care. With that that said, it is still pretty stupid to get into a fight about something so trivial and stupid. Just have your say and be done with it. To turn around and send your wife over to beat the other woman up shows ignorance and lack of intelligence.

BF,

I have been up North on a ton of business and my wife's family mostly lives in Michigan. There are just as many rednecks and racist people up there as there are in the South. Historically, there have been alot of race related murders up north, some of the worst ever, but the South gets the stigma as being more racist because of the Civil War. To me, racist=white trash redneck, regardless of income level.

I'll keep that in mind. But, I would rather help bring the south into the 20th century, then into the 21st century. Another thing, it's Dupage County not Cook County, huge difference. If only we could lower the highs during the summer months to like 72 degrees, for us folks who have to work outside. The heat down here isn't worth the $13-16.50 :roflol: they wanna pay contruction hands (wages have stagnated over the last 12 years). No wonder there's a labor shortage in the south. Now $35.00 per hour, plus another $15.00 hour in benefits could interest me though. Otherwise, you'd be better off with Mexicans and Rednecks doing the labor.

Just out of curiosity, and certainly no disrespect intended, what exactly is your trade? You've said before you were in construction as you've implied here, but not too long ago you implied you were an electrician, then an engineer. I'm slightly confused. I know its really none of my business, and feel free to inform me of that if you wish. I have no problem remaining confused.

Just out of curiosity, and certainly no disrespect intended, what exactly is your trade? You've said before you were in construction as you've implied here, but not too long ago you implied you were an electrician, then an engineer. I'm slightly confused. I know its really none of my business, and feel free to inform me of that if you wish. I have no problem remaining confused.

No disrepect taken. I have worked with many engineers on differing projects.

Journeyman Wireman

Industrial/Commercial Electrician/Electrical Trade - Process Control and Instrumentation EPRI

I never said that I was an engineer, although I did study electrical engineering at two universities, but was never degreed. I was a union electrican until about 2 years ago. Worked Illinois, Michigan, Ohio and Alabama. I hate residential, I try to avoid it at all cost. Matter of fact I hate the heat in the south, eventhough it has been nice lately. Can't dress for the heat, but I can for the cold. I had a 42 year old apprentice that graduated in Electrical Engineering from Auburn University. My Cal-Based Phyics I, II, II and Fortran IV professor was an Electrical Engineering grad from Auburn University, with a MS in EE from the U.S. Naval Academy. Ron Thomas, I'll never for get him the rest of my life.

Biggest set of rednecks I ever met were in Conneticut just off the sub base in Groton. Lawrence County, Alabama looked like Oxford, England after them.

So, how do I avoid them given the type of work I do?

Don't try, they are for the most part much happier people and easier to get along with than liberal dimocrats. :rolleyes:

Archived