CPF not happy with Ainge after scrimmage

DKW 86

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...008/1345/SPORTS

Fulmer says Ainge still No. 1 QB

Coach not happy with junior after scrimmage

By RYAN CALLAHAN

For The Tennessean

KNOXVILLE — Evaluating his quarterbacks for the first time since Saturday’s scrimmage, Tennessee Coach Phillip Fulmer was no happier on Monday than he was after seeing Erik Ainge throw two interceptions.

But just as he was expressing the need for Ainge and backup Jonathan Crompton to improve, Fulmer stopped to reiterate. The Vols already have a starting quarterback.

“It’s Erik,” Fulmer said.

“I don’t want to create something that’s going on right now, because there’s a lot both of them still need to know. But obviously Erik’s a little further along from a mental standpoint.”

Though still unimpressed with Ainge’s performance on Saturday, Fulmer said no quarterback looked ready to start the season opener against California based on the scrimmage.

Ainge was 13-of-26 for 120 yards and looked as uneasy in the face of pressure as he did last year, when the Vols went 5-6. He could have been picked off a third time :blink: when he floated a pass from his own end zone that was dropped by cornerback Jonathan Wade.

Crompton’s numbers — 7-for-13 for 97 yards and two touchdowns — might have looked better, but the redshirt freshman was also responsible for two fumbled snaps.

“There were some good things during the scrimmage, but enough inconsistencies (from the quarterbacks) that it still bothers the heck out of you,” Fulmer said.

Ainge admitted that he had about as many bad plays as good plays during the scrimmage. He also said he’s aware of the growing perception among fans after Saturday’s scrimmage that the Vols might be better off going with Crompton as the starter.

“You’ve got to have thick skin whether it goes too good or too bad,” he said. “That’s part of being a quarterback. I’d say you’ve just got to a) not read the newspaper, and B) just go out there the next day and keep playing.”

Offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe went right back to work on Monday, throwing Ainge into many of the same situations that caused him trouble on Saturday.

Fulmer said he won’t shy away from making the quarterbacks live targets in either of the two remaining scrimmages. Unlike last year, Ainge and the rest of the quarterbacks weren’t allowed to wear green, no-contact jerseys on Saturday.

“We don’t have any choice,” Fulmer said. “We want to see how they’re going to play in live situations.”

Ainge said the most marked improvement was in the offensive tempo. He was forced to call three timeouts on Saturday, one of which came before the first play of the scrimmage, but he said getting in and out of the huddle wasn’t a problem on Monday.

“We did some good things at every position (on Saturday), and we did some bad things at every position,” Ainge said.

Ainge vowed to keep getting better and was quick to point out that the first scrimmage shouldn’t be taken as an indication of how anything will play out once the season starts. He referred back to the 2004 season, when he and Brent Schaeffer, now the starter at Ole Miss, both played as the Vols went on to win the SEC Eastern Division championship.

“Guys on the team understand one scrimmage, especially the first scrimmage, isn’t going to tell you how your football season is going to go,” he said.

“If you’d have watched our first scrimmage in 2004, you’d have thought we’d have gone 0-12. Brent Schaeffer and I couldn’t get a snap. We ran two offensive plays. We couldn’t do anything.”

Things weren’t quite that ugly on Saturday. But at times, they weren’t much better.

Fulmer said he expects more, particularly in terms of ball security, than what he saw in the scrimmage.

“We need consistent production, even if it’s, ‘Hey, let’s throw the football away, or let’s scramble and make five yards,’ ” Fulmer said. “Knowing how to take care of the football is the No. 1 factor right now and (knowing how to) still not play scared. You’ve just got to play, and they’re both capable of doing that.”

Realistically, I think he will be alright this season. Top 3 percentage wise in the SEC.

“If you’d have watched our first scrimmage in 2004, you’d have thought we’d have gone 0-12. Brent Schaeffer and I couldn’t get a snap. We ran two offensive plays. We couldn’t do anything.”

If you would have watched the first half of the first AU game, you'd have thought they'd go 0-11.

Ainge will get pulled in the first half against Cal...mark it down. If he is still struggling that much in his third year, he ain't got it IMO. I think it will be a revolving door again with him and Crompton, this time. IF, big IF, he comes into his and becomes a decent college QB, which is a shade better than a former bammer QB, UT could go to a 9 or even 10 win season, but not seeing it with Ainge in there.

Ainge will get pulled in the first half against Cal...mark it down. If he is still struggling that much in his third year, he ain't got it IMO. I think it will be a revolving door again with him and Crompton, this time. IF, big IF, he comes into his and becomes a decent college QB, which is a shade better than a former bammer QB, UT could go to a 9 or even 10 win season, but not seeing it with Ainge in there.

the words out opf my mouth. He has been there three years now. I know, "Look at JC." But JC never took us to a losing season with two tons of talent.

Archived