Clear Review of New Rule Changes

DKW 86

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview06/ne...tory?id=2543105

Changes affect clock management, shorten gamesESPN.com

Although the NCAA's standardization of instant replay grabbed many offseason headlines, there are other changes to the rule book in 2006 that might have just as large an impact on the game.

Expert Opinion

The new rule that changes when the clock starts on kicks and first downs is probably as big a change as we've had since we moved the hash marks on the field. By starting the clock at the ready-for-play signal, it cuts down on the number of plays -- about 10-15 per game. It will be more difficult for coaches to get in additional plays or a late-game change of possession.

Teams will have to change the way they run the two-minute drill, which previously started at the snap. Now teams have to be on the field and ready to go when the official gives the sign. On changes of possession, defensive coaches used to wait to call their system until they saw the offense's grouping, but now they have to be ready to go immediately. We'll most likely see bigger first-down plays because the D won't know who the offense has on the field.

The time change benefits defenses, which won't have to defend as many plays. Lesser defenses will like the change because they'll be on the field less. Conversely, offenses will probably take more shots and risks, since they will have fewer opportunities. For teams that run the wishbone or have a dominant running game and like to milk the clock, these rules will help them with ball control. For really good teams, however, it won't make a difference.

Most coaches I've talked to aren't real happy about the changes in clock management. The TV people like it because it will keep the games in the allotted window.

The height of the kicking tee will also make a big difference for the sport's weaker kickers. While the great kickers have the leg strength to boot the ball, most will not. This rule change will have a similar effect as the NFL's decision in 1994 to move the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30-yard line. It increased the number of returns and changed the field position. With a shorter tee, balls are not going to travel as high or as far. There won't be an automatic touchback when people kick off.

-- Jim Donnan, former Georgia and Marshall coach and ESPN analyst

1. Eye shields (Rule 1-4-5-s) Change: Eye shields that are not clear are not permitted.

Rationale: This seemingly small rule change was motivated by medical concerns. When checking players for concussions and other brain injuries, trainers were unable to see through the shaded eye shields without detaching the shields from the helmet. This change saves medical staff vital seconds in determining the severity of a player's injury.

2. Kicking tee (Rule 2-15-4-c)

Change: A kicking tee may not elevate the ball's lowest point more than 1 inch above the ground.

Rationale: Enacted to reduce the number of touchbacks and increase the number of kickoff returns, this rule change will also help prepare players for the pro game, which uses the lower tee.

3. Game clock (Rule 3-2-5, 3-2-5-e)

Change: When the ball is free kicked, the game clock will start. When Team B is awarded a first down, the game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal.

Rationale: One of the goals in revising the rules was to shorten the length of games. The game clock will now start when the ball hits the kicker's foot on free kicks and kickoffs, and when the referee signals the ball is ready for play on first downs, instead of at the snap. Many coaches believe these changes will eliminate 10-15 plays per game.

4. Excessive noise (Rule 3-3-3-f-4)

Change: The referee's discretionary timeout for excessive crowd noise has been deleted.

Rationale: Largely unenforceable, this rule caused more problems than solutions. :cheer: At some schools this would not matter. At :au: we can definitely use this one... :big:

5. Fouls (Rule 7-1-3-b, 7-1-4- B)

Change: Fouls concurrent with the snap on scrimmage kick may be enforced at the previous spot or the succeeding spot.

Rationale: For live-ball fouls occurring at the snap on scrimmage kick plays, the penalty may be enforced at the previous spot or succeeding spot. Receiving teams can opt to add a 5-yard penalty onto the end of a return, rather than require a rekick.

6. Extra point (Rule 8-3-2)

Change: If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in the fourth period expires, the try shall not be attempted unless the points would affect the outcome of the game.

Rationale: This is just a change of wording to clarify the existing rule.

7. Halftime (Rule 3-2-1- B)

Change: The intermission between halves, which begins when the field is clear of all players and coaches, shall be 20 minutes. The home team administration may lengthen or shorten the 20 minutes by previous agreement of the visiting team administration.

Rationale: This is an attempt to shorten the game.

8. Instant replay (Rule 12)

Change: Instant replay and coaches' challenge will be uniform throughout Division I-A, but not mandatory. (Rule 12) Instant replay is the sole discretion of the home team. The visiting team does not have the option of requesting or declining its use. In order to reverse an on-field ruling, the replay official must see indisputable video evidence through one or more video replays provided to the monitor. The replay official and the crew will review every play and may stop a game if there is enough evidence to believe an error was made and that the reversal would have a direct affect on the game. In addition, the head coach of either team can challenge the on-field ruling once per game by requesting a timeout before the ball is put into play. If the ruling is reversed, the coach will not be charged with the timeout.

Scoring plays, out of bounds plays, passes and recovery of loose balls are reviewable when they take place at a sideline, goal line or an end line. Reviewable plays involving passes include passes ruled complete, incomplete or intercepted anywhere in the field of play; a legal forward pass touched by an ineligible receiver or a defensive player; a fumble ruled on the part of a potential passer; a forward pass or forward handing ruled when a runner is beyond the line of scrimmage or after a change of possession; and a pass ruled forward or backward when thrown from behind the line of scrimmage.

Other reviewable plays include a runner judged not to have been down by rule; a runner's forward progress with respect to a first down; touching of a kick by any player; the number of players on the field; a scrimmage kicker beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is kicked; clock adjustment when a ruling on the field is reversed; and a fumble recovery during a fourth down or a try and before any change of possession.

Rationale: Instant replay has gained popularity in its two years in existence, and this makes it uniform throughout Division I-A.

ADDENDUM

Jim Donnan, former Georgia and Marshall coach and ESPN analyst

The new rule that changes when the clock starts on kicks and first downs is probably as big a change as we've had since we moved the hash marks on the field. By starting the clock at the ready-for-play signal, it cuts down on the number of plays -- about 10-15 per game. It will be more difficult for coaches to get in additional plays or a late-game change of possession.

Teams will have to change the way they run the two-minute drill, which previously started at the snap. Now teams have to be on the field and ready to go when the official gives the sign. On changes of possession, defensive coaches used to wait to call their system until they saw the offense's grouping, but now they have to be ready to go immediately. We'll most likely see bigger first-down plays because the D won't know who the offense has on the field.

The time change benefits defenses, which won't have to defend as many plays. Lesser defenses will like the change because they'll be on the field less. Conversely, offenses will probably take more shots and risks, since they will have fewer opportunities. For teams that run the wishbone or have a dominant running game and like to milk the clock, these rules will help them with ball control. For really good teams, however, it won't make a difference.

Most coaches I've talked to aren't real happy about the changes in clock management. The TV people like it because it will keep the games in the allotted window.

The height of the kicking tee will also make a big difference for the sport's weaker kickers. While the great kickers have the leg strength to boot the ball, most will not. This rule change will have a similar effect as the NFL's decision in 1994 to move the kickoff back 5 yards to the 30-yard line. It increased the number of returns and changed the field position. With a shorter tee, balls are not going to travel as high or as far. There won't be an automatic touchback when people kick off.

--

So........Does the shortened games mean more commercials...........YEAAAAHHHH. I love commercials, I hate it when they interupt my commercials with FooseBall........It's Da Devil you know.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of the kicking tee being lowered.

Let it be stated now, when Tygggerfann7646361 starts complaining about our kickers not kicking as solid as in the past, we need to remind him of the tee.

I think delay of game penalties will be called often especially in the

early games. So does the clock stop after that?

Also the coach has just ONE challenge the entire game. They get the timeout back if they

win the challenge but they don't have anymore challenges. This could be huge.

I question the rational in trying to shorten the game it didn't seem that bad and overtime

will negate all that anyway. Expect a lot of penalties this year, offsides, delay of game,

not enough guys on the line of scrimmage etc.

The kicking tee rational is a stretch, "this rule change will also help prepare players for the pro game, which uses the lower tee. " Oh really, basically they mean just the kicker?

The coaches are the ones who made these changes so blame them.

Why would they want to shorten halftime, you can't make it back from the concession stand in that amount of time.

I have only one real problem with a specific rule change or two changes made to alleviate the length of time issue. The change or changes has to do with the time clock and the length of half time. By making these changes, we know they are catering to the TV Bigwig farts who make billions off of advertisement deals. So, instead of shortening the commercials they shorten the game. Go figure?! :huh:

For example, where I live, we have problems with JP (or whatever the network is that shows the early, SEC game of the week). These games start at 12:30 pm EST, and lasts 3 1/2 to 4 hours. This game is shown on our CBS affiliate, the same channel that shows their SEC game of the week at 3:30 pm, EST. So guess what? If Auburn is playing, say for instance LSU, September 16 on CBS, people will not get to see the start of the game until the first one is over with due to the start times, length of broadcast, and/or those commercials!!

Furthermore, watch a Saturday night game on ESPN. Notate the start time and the finish time. Then add up how many hours it took them to complete the telecast. I personally, when viewing an Auburn game on ESPN, have never seen a game that lasted less than 3 1/2 hours! If you are at an Auburn game, carry a stop watch in the game and time the TV official down on the field (but who really wants to keep up with this we have bigger things to tend to!). I've timed them before and they were on the field for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hour(s) of the 3 1/2 to 4 hour broadcast. No way TV makes the games last longer, huh!! :roflol:

The funny thing is that the length of games have nothing to do with the game itself, but with those commercials after every 3rd or 4th play! All the rule changes to time, length of time, etc fall back to one thing - money and how much money they can make off of college athletics. :au:

tv, especially CBS does more to kill a drive and momentum than anything.

The team drives the length of the field, the defense is on it's heels, 1st and goal,

the crowd is in a frenzy, a whistle, it's a TV timeout. 4 plays later a field goal attempt.

tv, especially CBS does more to kill a drive and momentum than anything.

The team drives the length of the field, the defense is on it's heels, 1st and goal,

the crowd is in a frenzy, a whistle, it's a TV timeout. 4 plays later a field goal attempt.

Ain't that the truth!! :au:

CBS is the worst offender of them all...seems like they take commercials every other down. I will say this though...those commercials pay for that broadcast so without them we wouldnt get to see our beloved Tigers on TV.

aukooze91...I have the same problem you have only sometimes its reversed and worse. Because I'm in South Florida the market is the Gators....So if Auburn is playing on JP and the Gators are playing at 3:30 on CBS...guess which game gets cut off. Likewise (similar to your situation) if the Gators are playing against Kentucky on JP and Auburn is getting ready to play LSU that Gator game is on till the end and I miss the beginning of the Auburn Game. Talk about high blood pressure!

I HATE CBS games. They seem to go to commercial every change of possessions. It drives me crazy. At least ESPN will go a series or two before stopping the game for commercials.

CBS is the worst offender of them all...seems like they take commercials every other down. I will say this though...those commercials pay for that broadcast so without them we wouldnt get to see our beloved Tigers on TV.

aukooze91...I have the same problem you have only sometimes its reversed and worse. Because I'm in South Florida the market is the Gators....So if Auburn is playing on JP and the Gators are playing at 3:30 on CBS...guess which game gets cut off. Likewise (similar to your situation) if the Gators are playing against Kentucky on JP and Auburn is getting ready to play LSU that Gator game is on till the end and I miss the beginning of the Auburn Game. Talk about high blood pressure!

I understand where you are coming from autiger518. I don't have anything against the other teams playing, I am first and foremost a college football junkie and love watching all teams, but, if my beloved Auburn is on, the other game better end one way or another. Like your situation autiger518, I can sub in UGA for the Gators. I noticed a couple of months ago, the SEC is creating an SEC television network that will show all SEC sports live (Including football)! It will have its own channel, games scheduled, etc. But, I understand it will be a few years before it comes to fruition.

I know you have to have the advertisers, the television stations, etc to promote your league, conference, teams, etc. Sometimes, I wish the NCAA, each conference, TV networks would take notes from pro football on Sunday. They have it down to a science! At around 1:10 pm EST, you have kickoff. At 4:10 - 4:15 pm, the first game is over with (unless they go to OT). Whichever network has the double header that day, the second one will begin at around 4:10 pm, EST on that network. These games generally last only for 3 hours (even on ESPN, ABC).

All in all, I am real lucky to live where I do (30 minutes from the Plains!) and have season tickets every year. Like I have mentioned in the past, my problem occurs when Auburn plays away, then the UGA grads take over the network where I live! :roflol:

War Eagle! :au:

Archived