Greg Smith

mayonaise

Speaking of Greg Smith, who should be on the practice field soon. From what I have heard Josh Thompson, Pat Sims and Tez Doolittle have looked very good in practice so far. If Pat Sims keeps up the good work and good attitude, it will go a long way in the coaches trusting him in game situations when the game is on the line. The kid has a ton of talent, hopefully his new attitude will pay dividends for him and AUBURN. :thumbsup:

The reason I brought up all that is when you add in Greg Smith and this DL has the potential to be very good. Which will in turn may open up things for the DE to be sack monsters. :thumbsup:

Or at least I hope so. :au::homer:

Speaking of Greg Smith, who should be on the practice field soon. From what I have heard Josh Thompson, Pat Sims and Tez Doolittle have looked very good in practice so far. If Pat Sims keeps up the good work and good attitude, it will go a long way in the coaches trusting him in game situations when the game is on the line. The kid has a ton of talent, hopefully his new attitude will pay dividends for him and AUBURN. :thumbsup:

The reason I brought up all that is when you add in Greg Smith and this DL has the potential to be very good. Which will in turn may open up things for the DE to be sack monsters. :thumbsup:

The DT's are not going to be a problem. Word is Sims and Sen'Derrick Marks are looking so good, that Christopher Browder has been able to move back to DE. Looking tough.

At the dinner I went to the other night, CTT said S Marks was ahead of Tez and Sims after Josh Thompson coming out of summer workouts. He's up to 290.

If Smith comes in in relatively good shape, I'm gonna' start to get real pumped about our D-line. I was worried coming out of last year.

What about Jemarcus Ricks? Where is he working?

Look for Ricks and the rest of the freshman D-linemen to red shirt this year. It's always a plus when you can red shirt linemen.

DT was one of my areas of concern. Hopefully these guys are doing as well as it seems to take the pressure off my other area of concern: the lack of depth at Linebacker

I was out at practice on Saturday and when they were doing DL vs OL drills Josh Thompson was down right nasty and seemed almost unblockable at times. I think he was the only one who the DLine coach didn't yell at.

Oh TigerMike...not you too.... :)

:au::homer:

i'm not going to lie, if we find the depth to move browder back to end i really hope we do it. i think gunn and groves are really solid players (gunn in particular), but they don't have a lot of meat for a defensive end. the best line we've had in a long time featured langenfeld and eddins anchoring a great rush defense with monster pass rushers (gunn, mcclover, and groves) coming in to clean up. i honestly believe browder can be that same kind of run stopping end that really limits what an offense is able to do on 1st down.

there are a lot of ifs, but there is a ton of potential at tackle too. if josh thompson stays healthy he's an anchor in the middle. if pat stays motivated he's a 300 pounder with pass rush potential. if smith shows up in shape, he's another run stuffer. if marks is as good as advertised, he might be the best of the group. honestly we just might have 5 really solid tackles to use along with moving a guy like browder inside on pass downs to give even more of a pass rush threat.

needless to say, the dline really excites me. i think we've got the best corners in the conference with potential to have the best line. you get those two things worked out, and it allows you to get really, really creative with your blitz schemes from the safety and linebacker spots. that can make a lot out of a little in the linebacker spots.

Greg Smith is the key to having a GREAT Defensive Line. He is a pure rush defender and would take a lot of pressure off the big men, especially Browder - to play both positions of DL & DE. I agree with "mcgufcm" we have the best DB's in the country. And with a solid DL & DB we can get very creative with our hybrid (LB/S)'s. We could become a blitzing Defense that has wicked speed from all LB & DB's.

I am fully aware that Coach Tuberville wants speed over size with LB's. Our LB's were both VERY small and VERY fast compared to SEC standards, and our defense held up very well fairly well over the last four years. Losing (2) of our progected starter's already in a position under heavy scrutiny as a wekness of our team strength is very tough to swallow. Hopefully our Underclassmen are up to the challenge...

This become a GREAT defense, only with Greg Smith being Qualified and ready to go. IMHO

EC

DT was one of my areas of concern. Hopefully these guys are doing as well as it seems to take the pressure off my other area of concern: the lack of depth at Linebacker

classic sig picture!!

classic sig picture!!

thanks. If I knew how to do photoshop, it would look better.

Oh TigerMike...not you too.... :)

:au::homer:

Hey Bud, this is the time of year that I usually say, "It's August, I pick AU to win the NC!" :big:

Looks like he will be in Auburn tomorrow and should start practice on the 16th. This is coming from austudent22 on ITAT. Very crediable source.

ITAT

ITAT says to expect him to arrive around the time fall classes start. :gofig:

Sorry no link prem. stuff.

Guys I would not count on this guy for this year. How many times have we waited on a kid to get to camp or be elgible only not to make it for that year. I think McGlover had this situation with NCAA clearinhouse. The issue is the longer it goes the less chance there is.

Maybe some of these DTs can fit at LB? I realize they may be too slow, but we could use all the help in the world right now

Uh, no. AU converts safeties to LBs, not DTs to LBs. Sometimes slower DEs to DTs, and slow DTs to OGs or OTs. And fast RBs to Safeteeees. Who may grow into LBs.

We'll be okay.

Maybe some of these DTs can fit at LB? I realize they may be too slow, but we could use all the help in the world right now

I dont think any of the d-lineman could play linebacker, most linebackers can run a 4.5 40 and d line runs it in about 5 that is a lot. Even if you move one to mlb they would still have to play from tackle to tackle there is no way they could cover the ground insead of playing a 3 or 5 !!!! The linebackers also have to drop into pass coverage and may have to cover the fullback we you would be in a lot of trouble with a 300lb backer!

Archived