Greg Smith

mayonaise

I am starting to get really excited about the prospects of this D. With Smith coming in I feel more comfortable about the DL across the board. It erks me that Blackmon and Sears have put the team in this position for the first game. Having them in there would sure have helped, but I think we will be okay. We should be very FAST on D and the middle will the right size to help on the run stop.

Smith is supposed to be in this weekend or early next week. Still waiting on grades to clear.

If austudent22 says 16th that works for me too then. He is highly respected with player info.

Smith is supposed to be in this weekend or early next week. Still waiting on grades to clear.

If austudent22 says 16th that works for me too then. He is highly respected with player info.

Totally agree with you there DKW.

There must be some sort of rule that if you are going thru the clearing house you cannot start practicing until school starts.

Does anybody have the latest on Greg Smith. Is he qualified?? What's his status??

CTT stated he expected Smith to report on the first day of classes.

Does anybody have the latest on Greg Smith. Is he qualified?? What's his status??

CTT stated he expected Smith to report on the first day of classes.

Heard the same thing. That does not bode well for his playing this year though. He will definitely be behind the learning curve on the D.

I heard Greg was about 35 pounds overweight. If correct, that is a lot to ask of someone this late.

Just got back from a talk that Mark Murphy gave at our church. In the Q & A I asked him about Smith and he doesn't expect much out of him. He said he should get to Auburn soon but that word is he is about 350 and will NOT be in football shape.

That will be answered tomorrow. Classes start tomorrow and if he's not in school he obviously is not going to play.

I think he will be there, but don't expect him on the field until the Buffalo game or the :usc: game.

Since you asked the question, I "heard" that he will be moving to AUBURN TODAY. I have no link.

:au::homer:

From other sites (compiled) ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg Smith passes classes & is now waiting for clearance from the NCAA clearinghouse, if all goes as planned, he should be in Auburn on Mon. or Tue.

====================================================

I think Greg Smith took his redshirt in Junior College so he still has 3 years of eligibility.

Austudent22, you out there??? Is this correct???

He will have 3 years to play 2. He was a part of the 2004 class.

The challenge would be in keeping GS eligible. He has struggled just to get to this point. Five games may be better than none? Dunno.

=====================================================

As did Rid Hood, David Irons, Prechae Rogriguez, Doug Langenfeld, Alton Moore, Javar Mills, etc etc. Auburn has not had a scholarship player become academically ineligible in five years. This isn't a legit concern, but less he is injured I don't expect Greg to redshirt.

The Clearinghouse isn't going to be a major holdup because he is a JUCO graduate. They do not go thru the same procedure of clearance. This is only the second business day that they had the case if NE Mississippi got the stuff to them on Thursday as they were suppose to. As I have been saying for two weeks now, Greg's first practice most likely will be August 17th. That would make his first practice in Pads on August 22nd or 23rd.

Given his apparent troubles with certain math courses I assumed he might have struggles with the "progress towards a degree" requirement. Or am I misreading that criteria? I have utmost confidence in our academic support team but why add an additional load to that team if you can avoid?

David Irons had a MUCH tougher time making it from JUCO to Auburn and he walked across the stage with a piece of paper in his hand last week. As specifically for his struggles in Math, Greg will never have to take another Math class in his life.

FINALLY..........Geez, Now let's see how many bags of Cheetos he's been eating as Coach Yox puts him through a little training.........Coach Tubs said that they're going to throw him in Trenches to see if he'll be able to hold his own, if not, then we'll get to see Mr. Smith play Next Year.......Now we're waiting on Alex Rose. He would be a Big help in the WR department. Anyway, War "BY GOD" Eagle

Huntsville Times reporting that he has joined the team and will begin practice Thursday.

I read that this morning but Tubs doesn't sound very encouraged about his condition. He says Smith will be given a chance but wonders if he is in enough shape to hack it right now. Tubs hints he may be in for a redshirt.

www.al.com

See Huntsville Times sports

Huntsville Times reporting that he has joined the team and will begin practice Thursday.

I read that this morning but Tubs doesn't sound very encouraged about his condition. He says Smith will be given a chance but wonders if he is in enough shape to hack it right now. Tubs hints he may be in for a redshirt.

www.al.com

See Huntsville Times sports

If he is not in shape this should be a easy choice to red shirt for coaches, let Pat Sims, Tez Dolittle, Josh Thopson, and Sen’Derrick Marks have playing time. Sims, and Dolittle will be in the 300 lb range which is plenty big enough to plug a hole or two in the running game. Unless we have a injury problem at the position I say let him redshirt so we have him for two more years.

Just a note,

At :au: 5 Star G Smith comes in +35#...gets readshirted.

At :ua: 5 Star A Smith comes in +35#...whips every first teamer on the field, should be a lock to start.

Just something to consider on relative strengths of the programs.

Archived