Barak Obama: Al Gore II

DKW 86

http://drudgereport.com/flash3.htm

Obama Warns of Gas Guzzling Cars in Town Hall Meeting

Tue Aug 15 2006 21:47:08 ET

Illinois Senator Barack Obama warns citizens at his 50th Town Hall meeting about gas guzzling, WPSD-TV reports.

It was among many points made to the standing room only audience at the Metropolis Community Center. Obama spoke on everything from DC politics to global warming.

He says part of the blame for the world's higher temperatures rests on gas guzzling vehicles. Obama says consumers can make the difference by switching to higher mileage hybrids.

Today the Senator said, "It would save more energy, do more for the environment and create better world security than all the drilling we could do in Alaska."

"After the meeting... Obama left in a GMC Envoy after admitting to favoring SUV's himself," claimed local News Channel 6.

The Dems just cant help themselves... :lol:

Nietzche wasn't right on many things, but he was right on this. There are two kinds of moralilty: Master Morality and Slave Morality. In Master Morality, you define what is moral and ethical in society only as rules to pass on to the underclass. Then you can do whatever the heck you want. In Slave Morality, if you put one toe one millimeter out of line, then you're going to get punished.

That's why Obama can give a speech like that with a straight face, then pull away in an SUV of his own. That's why Gore can give the same speech and then get into a similarly sized SUV to drive 500 yards down the street--the way he did at a recent fund raiser. On the Republican side that's why political hacks can give speeches about family values on their way to meet their mistresses and demanding that the Ten Commandments be nailed up on every courthouse wall--even when they can't name more than 5 or 6.

I think there are people who have a legitimate need for SUVs. Foresters. Farmers. Other people for whom going offroad is a major part of the job. I have a photographer friend who makes a very good living from nature photography. He has to lug all that equipment down dirt roads, etc. etc.

But a 35 year old soccer mom in Alabama with two kids has zero need for a Yukon. It's a huge, lumbering waste of gas and space. I'm really amazed that all these men go along with the purchase.

We have three kids. And our Honda Odyssey carries just as much as any monster SUV. And I will continue driving my 12 year old Infiniti until the wheels fall off. It's just common sense.

Nietzche wasn't right on many things, but he was right on this. There are two kinds of moralilty: Master Morality and Slave Morality. In Master Morality, you define what is moral and ethical in society only as rules to pass on to the underclass. Then you can do whatever the heck you want. In Slave Morality, if you put one toe one millimeter out of line, then you're going to get punished.

That's why Obama can give a speech like that with a straight face, then pull away in an SUV of his own. That's why Gore can give the same speech and then get into a similarly sized SUV to drive 500 yards down the street--the way he did at a recent fund raiser. On the Republican side that's why political hacks can give speeches about family values on their way to meet their mistresses and demanding that the Ten Commandments be nailed up on every courthouse wall--even when they can't name more than 5 or 6.

I think there are people who have a legitimate need for SUVs. Foresters. Farmers. Other people for whom going offroad is a major part of the job. I have a photographer friend who makes a very good living from nature photography. He has to lug all that equipment down dirt roads, etc. etc.

But a 35 year old soccer mom in Alabama with two kids has zero need for a Yukon. It's a huge, lumbering waste of gas and space. I'm really amazed that all these men go along with the purchase.

We have three kids. And our Honda Odyssey carries just as much as any monster SUV. And I will continue driving my 12 year old Infiniti until the wheels fall off. It's just common sense.

:clap::clap: :clap:

I think that Freud's "Compensation Theory" and "Penis Envy" have a tremendous amount to do with why all these folks with no need for an SUV are now driving them. Face it, if you need a car to tell the world who you are, you really dont have much to tell.

Count me among those who just shake their head in amazement at people with no kids or up to two kids, driving around a plush, pristine behemoth like a Hummer H2 or Chevy Suburban. I mean, what the hell? I don't buy the global warming arguments, but like otter, I think they are huge waste of gas and space and bear a big chunk of the responsibility for gas prices being what they are. The things drive up demand for gas which drives up prices for everyone. And mostly because of ego, not practicality.

Count me among those who just shake their head in amazement at people with no kids or up to two kids, driving around a plush, pristine behemoth like a Hummer H2 or Chevy Suburban. I mean, what the hell? I don't buy the global warming arguments, but like otter, I think they are huge waste of gas and space and bear a big chunk of the responsibility for gas prices being what they are. The things drive up demand for gas which drives up prices for everyone. And mostly because of ego, not practicality.

Thank you TT. I live in Mountain Brook and I was at a party the other weekend listening to two people discuss, with a straight face, how it cost them more than a hundred bucks to gas up, and how the government should do something about the high gas prices. As if the term "Cause and Effect" have no bearing on their lives. I mean, I remember when gas was under a dollar a gallon, and I watched this clod fill up his Hummer. I thought to myself, "Boy, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when gas prices spike again."

But if you're a true conservative, you know that market forces positive change. Suddenly, nobody is buying these dinosaurs anymore. In another couple of years, people will have unloaded their Yukons and Denalis. Lower demand will mean lower prices (especially if the Middle East ever stabilizes again), as will increased drilling in the United States.

:clap::clap: :clap:

I think that Freud's "Compensation Theory" and "Penis Envy" have a tremendous amount to do with why all these folks with no need for an SUV are now driving them. Face it, if you need a car to tell the world who you are, you really dont have much to tell.

Here, Here. I love my Civic CRX. Little Bitty, but huge on MPG and paid for. I hate giving banks anything, their lucky to have some of my savings, temporarily.

Thank you TT. I live in Mountain Brook and I was at a party the other weekend listening to two people discuss, with a straight face, how it cost them more than a hundred bucks to gas up, and how the government should do something about the high gas prices. As if the term "Cause and Effect" have no bearing on their lives. I mean, I remember when gas was under a dollar a gallon, and I watched this clod fill up his Hummer. I thought to myself, "Boy, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when gas prices spike again."

There's the foresight we need. I love it. In latter 1999, I was telling people that gas prices were going up and they laughed at me. We drove 1995 Ford Contour then that got 33 mpg on the road. Now we have a older Honda that gets about 40 mpg. While they upsize, I downsize (not in every endeavor though, just what I believe is necessary for survival). I have always buck the trend, because it's keeps me out of the perpetual poor house hence the name "Bottomfeeder". Conservative by example.

http://www.emis.de/journals/NYJM/j/2000/6-5.pdf

Then there is the economic side of the equation:

Economic Ergodics

http://ideas.repec.org/p/hhs/aareco/2004_013.html

http://ideas.repec.org/j/C61.html

http://ideas.repec.org/j/D90.html

http://ideas.repec.org/j/O41.html

This is just how my brain works now. Before it wasn't as much about the application of what I have learned, but now it's all about applying everything I have learned and wanting more knowledge. It amazing what a little voltage can do.

But if you're a true conservative, you know that market forces positive change. Suddenly, nobody is buying these dinosaurs anymore. In another couple of years, people will have unloaded their Yukons and Denalis. Lower demand will mean lower prices (especially if the Middle East ever stabilizes again), as will increased drilling in the United States.

Careful. Last time I said something along these lines, CCTAU threatened to kill me with his big, compensating truck. ;)

I concur with all of your arguments on anti-SUV/full-size pick-ups, and now the biggest one for me is that my 16 year old daughter is on the road. If one of those soccer moms on their phone in their 2 ton SUV, or one of those aggressive redneck pick-up drivers even puts a scratch on my daughter they will be looking down the barrel of my 9 mm...

Archived