Alabama Democrats Change Platform

Jenny AU-92

I read this on "A Bama Blog" today. This is unbelievable!! If the Dems really believe these things, why not just become a Republican!

Link to Article

Alabama Democrats unveil "Covenant for the Future"

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Democratic leaders revealed a 'Covenant for the Future' Tuesday with issues they plan to introduce during the 2007 legislative session, but critics say many of the proposals, such as banning PAC to PAC transfers, have been killed by Democrats in past sessions. ...

In addition to banning transfers between political action committees, the covenant also includes calls for eliminating sales tax on groceries, passing an amendment saying life begins at conception, requiring public schools to offer Bible literacy curriculum, passage of the Alabama Border Protection Act and creation of a scholarship program for medical students.

House Minority leader Rep. Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn, issued a scathing response to the Democratic initiative Tuesday, calling it the "worst case of political plagiarism in Alabama history."

"In session after session, Republicans introduced most of the bills the Democrats now claim to support in areas like illegal immigration, property tax reappraisals and tax cuts," Hubbard said in the statement. "And in session after session the Democrats killed them all. The inaction of the Democrat leadership on these issues speaks much louder than their cheap words."

Wonder how much THIS had anything to do with it... methinks they doth protest too much... guess they really believe the bama voters are THAT stupid...

Both Hammett and Little face opposition in the Nov. 7 general election to retain their seats, but said Tuesday's tour, which offered few specifics, was not a ploy to get them re-elected or to retain the Democratic majority in the House and the Senate. Democrats have a 62-43 majority in the House and 25-10 in the Senate.

Here is my very simple reason why I will not vote Democratic for the next 20 years, regardless of who is running.

The Democratic Party ran the state of Alabama as its own little plantation from Reconstruction until the late 1980s. During that time we saw wholesale corruption, inefficiency, a punitive environment for business, endemic racism, abysmal education, more corruption, apathy towards the state's pressing needs, more corruption, and a complete disregard for the taxpayers of the state. As a result, the state remained rock bottom in every measurable category, from household income to education scores to industrial development. Before my father lapsed into a coma, his dying words were "That goddamned George Wallace." Anybody who has kept tabs on this state's problems over the years is likely to say the same thing.

Now with Republicans being elected to government, some things have begun to change. Education test scores have lofted us into the mid-30s of state rankings. If you don't think that's impressive, just remember where we were...one notch above Mississippi. We have a much more diverse range of industries. True, a lot of the effort to recruit those industries took place under Folsom and Siegelman, but it also stems from a lot of pro-business legislation being passed. As a result, household incomes have shot up dramatically.

The Birmingham area is showing signs of actually becoming a regional force again. Currently, our unemployment rate is second lowest in the country, one-tenth of a percent above Orlando. Scoff if you will, but downtown Birmingham is rapidly being converted into a thriving loft community with restaurants, nightlife and more. Currently, roughly 10,000 people live downtown. That's an amazing change from just 10 years ago when the lights went out and the sidewalks rolled up every night at 5:30.

Mobile and Huntsville are also showing signs of promise. Even Montgomery has a pulse.

I credit it to a change in the political climate in this state. And while the Republicans will eventually screw things up (Just look at our current congress), I'm not prepared to trust any Democrat with power for the forseeable future.

I read that in the Register today. Pretty cool, huh.

http://www.covenantforthefuture.com/

Ethics & Election Reform

1. Stop all PAC to PAC transfers

2. Require registered lobbyists to report to the Alabama Ethics Commission all expenditures related to appointed or elected public officials.

3. Pass legislation to strengthen the law against nepotism in state hiring

4. Eliminate all “pork” projects from state budgets

Tax Reform

1. Stop annual property tax increases by returning property reappraisals to a four year cycle

2. Oppose any increase in taxes without a vote of the people

3. Eliminate the sales tax on food

4. Further reduce the state income tax on all working families and individuals earning less than the Federal Poverty Level

5. Create the Alabama Energy Independence Act with tax incentives for Alabama farmers and refineries, providing Alabama jobs, and making Alabama less dependent on foreign oil

Education

1. Pass a constitutional amendment to prohibit the use of Alabama Education Trust Fund money for non-education purposes

2. Pass budgets that increase funding for the following education priorities:

- Classroom discipline

- Emphasis on “back-to-basics” education

- Technology in the classroom

- Support students and the work of teachers and other education personnel, instead of bureaucrats and “pork” projects

Faith & Values

1. Pass a constitutional amendment confirming that all life is a gift from God and should be protected; and that life begins at conception

2. Require public schools to offer Bible Literacy as part of their curriculum

3. Defeat any efforts to redefine marriage or provide the benefits of marriage to a same-sex union

Security

1. Pass the Alabama Border Protection Act requiring immigrants to register for a work permit before working in Alabama

and making it a felony for employers to repeatedly hire illegal immigrants

2. Provide funding to train Alabama law enforcement personnel to allow full enforcement of immigration laws

including deportation of illegal immigrants

3. Pass tough new laws to help apprehend and punish internet predators of children and fund enforcement of

new child protection laws.

4. Pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting the sale of or transfer of authority of the Alabama State Docks in Mobile

or inland river ports to any foreign entity

Health

1. Establish the Permanent Joint Health Care Committee of the Legislature to guarantee

- Access to affordable, quality health care for every citizen

- Cost containment and access to affordable prescription medications

2. Create the Alabama Legislative Health Care Access Trust to provide scholarships for medical students

who will serve in underserved areas

3. Guarantee funding to keep the state’s Medicaid program viable

I read that in the Register today. Pretty cool, huh.

http://www.covenantforthefuture.com/

Ethics & Election Reform

1. Stop all PAC to PAC transfers

2. Require registered lobbyists to report to the Alabama Ethics Commission all expenditures related to appointed or elected public officials.

3. Pass legislation to strengthen the law against nepotism in state hiring

4. Eliminate all “pork” projects from state budgets

Tax Reform

1. Stop annual property tax increases by returning property reappraisals to a four year cycle

2. Oppose any increase in taxes without a vote of the people

3. Eliminate the sales tax on food

4. Further reduce the state income tax on all working families and individuals earning less than the Federal Poverty Level

5. Create the Alabama Energy Independence Act with tax incentives for Alabama farmers and refineries, providing Alabama jobs, and making Alabama less dependent on foreign oil

Education

1. Pass a constitutional amendment to prohibit the use of Alabama Education Trust Fund money for non-education purposes

2. Pass budgets that increase funding for the following education priorities:

- Classroom discipline

- Emphasis on “back-to-basics” education

- Technology in the classroom

- Support students and the work of teachers and other education personnel, instead of bureaucrats and “pork” projects

Faith & Values

1. Pass a constitutional amendment confirming that all life is a gift from God and should be protected; and that life begins at conception

2. Require public schools to offer Bible Literacy as part of their curriculum

3. Defeat any efforts to redefine marriage or provide the benefits of marriage to a same-sex union

Security

1. Pass the Alabama Border Protection Act requiring immigrants to register for a work permit before working in Alabama

and making it a felony for employers to repeatedly hire illegal immigrants

2. Provide funding to train Alabama law enforcement personnel to allow full enforcement of immigration laws

including deportation of illegal immigrants

3. Pass tough new laws to help apprehend and punish internet predators of children and fund enforcement of

new child protection laws.

4. Pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting the sale of or transfer of authority of the Alabama State Docks in Mobile

or inland river ports to any foreign entity

Health

1. Establish the Permanent Joint Health Care Committee of the Legislature to guarantee

- Access to affordable, quality health care for every citizen

- Cost containment and access to affordable prescription medications

2. Create the Alabama Legislative Health Care Access Trust to provide scholarships for medical students

who will serve in underserved areas

3. Guarantee funding to keep the state’s Medicaid program viable

Here's my question. Considering that they had unchallenged power in Alabama for 120 years, how come they never proposed this agenda before?

"In session after session, Republicans introduced most of the bills the Democrats now claim to support in areas like illegal immigration, property tax reappraisals and tax cuts," Hubbard said in the statement. "And in session after session the Democrats killed them all. The inaction of the Democrat leadership on these issues speaks much louder than their cheap words."

If this is true, how do they expect to win on this platform? Did they learn NOTHING from John Kerry, Mr. "I voted for something before I voted against it"??? Their Republican opponents have to be rubbing their hands with glee over this. Can't you just hear this in a debate:

"Excuse me, Mr. Democrat desperate to save his job in a state with a changing political climate, how can you all of a sudden be in favor of eliminating taxes when in [insert session year here] you voted against the exact same measure???"

Here is my very simple reason why I will not vote Democratic for the next 20 years, regardless of who is running.

The Democratic Party ran the state of Alabama as its own little plantation from Reconstruction until the late 1980s. During that time we saw wholesale corruption, inefficiency, a punitive environment for business, endemic racism, abysmal education, more corruption, apathy towards the state's pressing needs, more corruption, and a complete disregard for the taxpayers of the state. As a result, the state remained rock bottom in every measurable category, from household income to education scores to industrial development. Before my father lapsed into a coma, his dying words were "That goddamned George Wallace." Anybody who has kept tabs on this state's problems over the years is likely to say the same thing.

Now with Republicans being elected to government, some things have begun to change. Education test scores have lofted us into the mid-30s of state rankings. If you don't think that's impressive, just remember where we were...one notch above Mississippi. We have a much more diverse range of industries. True, a lot of the effort to recruit those industries took place under Folsom and Siegelman, but it also stems from a lot of pro-business legislation being passed. As a result, household incomes have shot up dramatically.

The Birmingham area is showing signs of actually becoming a regional force again. Currently, our unemployment rate is second lowest in the country, one-tenth of a percent above Orlando. Scoff if you will, but downtown Birmingham is rapidly being converted into a thriving loft community with restaurants, nightlife and more. Currently, roughly 10,000 people live downtown. That's an amazing change from just 10 years ago when the lights went out and the sidewalks rolled up every night at 5:30.

Mobile and Huntsville are also showing signs of promise. Even Montgomery has a pulse.

I credit it to a change in the political climate in this state. And while the Republicans will eventually screw things up (Just look at our current congress), I'm not prepared to trust any Democrat with power for the forseeable future.

:clap::clap: :clap:

Dude, run for office or something...

the covenant also includes calls for

eliminating sales tax on groceries, - great idea

passing an amendment saying life begins at conception, - and democrats are OK with this?

requiring public schools to offer Bible literacy curriculum, - What about separation of church and state?

passage of the Alabama Border Protection Act - A blatant attempt to hurt Auburn's recruiting!

and creation of a scholarship program for medical students. - I thought dems were for the "little people", isn't this a little elitist? Why not a scholarship program for everyone?

Archived