First football, then jail time

quietfan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14378978/

KENTON, Ohio - A judge decided two high school athletes can complete the football season this fall before they serve 60-day jail sentences for a car crash caused by a decoy deer placed in a country road. Two teens were injured.

“I shouldn’t be doing this, but I’m going to. I see positive things about participating in football,” Judge Gary McKinley said Tuesday.

Dailyn Campbell, a 16-year-old quarterback for Kenton High, and 17-year-old teammate Jesse Howard will serve their time in a juvenile detention center. They were also ordered to write a 500-word essay titled “Why I Should Think Before I Act

Last November, teens stole the decoy from a man’s home, created a base to help it stand upright because it had only two legs, and then drove up and down the road, watching as drivers swerved to avoid it, prosecutor Brad Bailey said. He said Howard did not stop the prank.

Robert Roby Jr. crashed his car into a pole and broke his neck, collarbone, arm and leg. His passenger, Dustin Zachariah, suffered brain damage, Bailey said.

Campbell and Howard pleaded no contest to vehicular vandalism and other charges. Three other teenagers are awaiting trial in the fall.

“None of these guys will ever know what our sons have gone through,” Roby’s mother, Mary, wrote to the court. “If they get nothing for what they’ve done, they’ll do something worse later. They need more than a slap on the wrist.”

Both Campbell and Howard apologized at their sentencing.

“I think every day that I hurt someone, and that hurts me inside,” Howard said.

Opinions?

Man, that's a tough one. My guess is the judge was an athlete. I agree with the decision, in that, 60 days isn't going to be fun for anyone. I believe they will learn from the adventure regardless of when it is served. It may have greater impact after the season is over. Sounds like a great case study to me.

Man, that's a tough one. My guess is the judge was an athlete. I agree with the decision, in that, 60 days isn't going to be fun for anyone. I believe they will learn from the adventure regardless of when it is served. It may have greater impact after the season is over. Sounds like a great case study to me.

come on one of the guys has brain damage and the other has a broken neck and all they are gettting is 60 days!! Does'nt sound right to me. :au:

come on one of the guys has brain damage and the other has a broken neck and all they are gettting is 60 days!! Does'nt sound right to me. :au:

That's why God made lawyer's and civil courts.

I have to say that I did something similar (throwing water balloons at passing cars) but it was at a younger age (10 or 11). I thank God that the first person we hit caught us and explained to us the dangers in throwing unexpected objects at cars. As 16 and 17 yr. old high school students who I will assume had a drivers license, they should have known better.

As for the judge :headshake: 60 days in juvy and a 500 word essay is less than a slap on the wrist for breaking a neck and brain damage. Positive things can come from participating in football, but they shouldn't be allowed to play football after a stunt like this with the judge givin em a good game pat on the butt.

Almost wrecked one night when I lived in Atlanta. Some pranskters had strung a santa and the reindeer display from someones yard all the way across the road. You couldn't see it til you topped the hill. Poor Santa.

The judge is an idiot. jmo. I'm sure he wold have done the same thing if it were his kids injured in the wreck. (rolls eyes)

They should serve their pokey time now. Football is more important than justice?

I guess they will miss two months of high school after the football season. I guess football is more important than class?

But if the senior gets recruited by Ohio State he probably will serve his two months in about five years.

As an alternative they could just get an ice cream cone.

If I was the kid with the broken neck or the brain damage, I wouldn't be too impressed with that judge. And if my daughter had been hurt like that, I would be very unhappy. Big city lawyer time.

This judge.....did he happen to play at F$U under the Bowden Institute of Punishment (A.K.A. No Crime is Worth Punishment Camp)

What a load of feces.

Never mind the broken neck, leg, arm, collarbone, and brain damage....

They should serve their pokey time now. Football is more important than justice?

I guess they will miss two months of high school after the football season. I guess football is more important than class?

But if the senior gets recruited by Ohio State he probably will serve his two months in about five years.

As an alternative they could just get an ice cream cone.

If I was the kid with the broken neck or the brain damage, I wouldn't be too impressed with that judge. And if my daughter had been hurt like that, I would be very unhappy. Big city lawyer time.

I feel guilty, especially for my comments concerning the civil court. I didn't read the entire article, especially the part about the injuries. I thought it was about a harmless prank. And now, I look like a heartless idiot in the above post. Please forgive.

First thing that came to mind when I read this article was the location, Ohio I wondered if this Judge had any contact with Maurice Clarett. Seems like a similar train of thought going here, these two are going to see this is as "if I am a good football player I am above the law" sends the wrong message to these kids. It’s a true shame.

I would imagine that schooling continues while in juvy hall...either through monitored release during school hours to attend public schools or through classes/tutoring within the juvenile facility.

Regardless of what the judge said, seems like a respectable coach would kick 'em off the team anyway for disciplinary reasons. Which raises another question: Can the judge ORDER the coach to accept them since he thinks football will do so much "characer building" for them?

And I agree with Bottomfeeder: I expect the victims and their family will be seeing these guys again in civil court, and hopefully win a settlement appropriate to their damages. Since the two kids have already pled to the criminal charges, seems like the civil case will be open & shut (Or more probably, settled out of court in the victims' favor)

One of the injured had BRAIN DAMAGE!?!

This is a slap on the wrist and, worse, a slap in the face of justice.

JMHO

Was the Judge the one that got Brain Damage?...So many things are wrong with that I wouldnt know where to begin.

The whole sentencing seems kinda light, but I wasnt in court and we dont know the whole story. Regardless of that hell no they shouldnt be allowed to play...and if I was their HS coach Id throw them off the team anyways. All this does is continue to send bad messages to our young people...Oh you stole some shoes thats allright your our star reciever, you were just borrowing them right. It makes me sick to see all of these stars or athletes continually get second chances because of who they are....you bet if you or I had done it our butts would be in jail.

First thing that came to mind when I read this article was the location, Ohio I wondered if this Judge had any contact with Maurice Clarett. Seems like a similar train of thought going here, these two are going to see this is as "if I am a good football player I am above the law" sends the wrong message to these kids. It’s a true shame.

Totally agree!

I think this judge is nuts! If I were one of the injured parties, I would be sure to take them to civil court for sure. Be prepared to open your checkbook for a very long time!

Totally agree!

I think this judge is nuts! If I were one of the injured parties, I would be sure to take them to civil court for sure. Be prepared to open your checkbook for a very long time!

I immediately thought about Clarett too, and a bunch of others. This judge sent the wrong message to these kids.......you can play first. The best lesson he could have given them is when you screw up you have to pay the consequences. That lesson would have served them better down the road in their lives.

Archived