Blackmon remains positive

DKW 86

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgere...ty/15300529.htm

Blackmon remains positive

Linebacker not slowed by suspension

BY CHRISTA TURNER

Staff Writer

AUBURN, Ala. - The work remains the same, but there is one huge difference for Auburn linebacker Tray Blackmon -- the rewards are still a ways in the future.

Blackmon didn't really want to redshirt, but did. He moved onto the first team at weakside linebacker during the spring. Starting that first game against Washington State seemed tangible and so close.

Now, that chance to start is once again an abstract, something Blackmon can't pin down. An alcohol-related arrest in his hometown of LaGrange, Ga., drew an unspecified suspension from head coach Tommy Tuberville. It looks to be at least two games and possibly three.

Blackmon hasn't let that slow him in practice. He's worked hard and his teammates and coaches have taken notice.

"I just look at the big picture," Blackmon said. "When I do get out there, I just want to take advantage of it and try to learn from my mistakes. When I do come back, I want to try to help the team as much as I can."

During the first week of two-a-days, Blackmon languished on the third team and didn't get a bunch of repetitions. However, injuries within the linebacker corps led to Blackmon taking more reps with the second team. He's likely to drift back down, however, as coaches try to build depth without him or Kevin Sears, who is going through the same punishment.

Linebacker coach James Willis said last week he's been pleased with the attitudes of Blackmon and Sears.

"If they had a bad attitude, it would be a cancer to the group," Willis said. "As long as we can keep that attitude, keep them positive and keep them ready when the time comes, I think they'll be OK."

Blackmon said he loves the new defense being installed by coordinator Will Muschamp and has thrown himself into learning it.

"We get to run around and make plays from different positions," Blackmon said. "It's a very interesting defense. He throws a lot at us."

Linebacker Karibi Dede said he's seen Blackmon and Sears throw themselves into football as a means of dealing with their off-field problems.

"It's difficult," Dede said. "I'm Kevin's roommate, and he told me it was difficult knowing he has to hold off for a couple of games. But on the field, it's the way they escape from the things they're dealing with."

Blackmon will get his shot to play soon -- just not as quickly as he had hoped.

Glad to hear they are taking their punishment and moving on. Sometimes life's lessons are learned the hard way. I hope both of them pass on the lessons they have learned, and are learning, to their team mates.

With mature, positive attitudes like that, I say Kevin and Tray deserve some ice cream after they've finished their suspensions !

:roflol:

Not just ice cream, but maybe even a banana split

It's great to be an AUBURN TIGER

Well, lets see...

Sears and Blackmon will both be playing on Sundaes...

They can Shake things up a bit...

They will give Offenses a Rocky Road...

They dont need to Fudge with the results when they do get on the field...

They look like an Orange and Blue Blizzard when attacking...

Blackmon hits folks so hard they lay like Sprinkles on the field..

Okay I am bored and I am trying to be funny here.

Dave, tell wannabe to wheel your sorry butt outdoors for a while. You're starting to...melt down.

Besides, No matter if Tray is out there or not, Auburn's D will cream the opponents and our linebackers will certainly put a licking on any running back that dares come their way. I don't care if the running back's name is Baskins or Robbins or Ben or Jerry or whoever. Our guys will kick arse and we will go to a TCBSY bowl.

Trey's suspension was bulls**t anyway. He got a public intox while he was at home for the summer. He wasn't drinkin and driving or gettin in bar fights, he just had a few drinks with his friends back home. Honestly, how many underage college students do you think don't drink just because they aren't 21? And he wasn't doing it on campus. I'm all for running a clean program and punishing player who break rules but I thought Trey's 3 game suspension was a little drastic considering Sears was drunk and driving a car (a much more serious offense) and got the same suspension. I think a 1 game suspension would have been a more suitable and I think he is a good player and person who will be great for our program. :)

With mature, positive attitudes like that, I say Kevin and Tray deserve some ice cream after they've finished their suspensions !

I'm flying in some Graeter's Chocolate Chip Ice Cream from Cincinnati, OH. for 'em.

GRAETERS.gif

Someone please fill me in on the icecream lingo. Ive seen all the comments and farks on Juwan Simpson and I dont get it.

In response to query about what sort of discipline he would recommend for himself (after his marijuana and gun charges), Juwann responded with, "I'd give myself an ice cream cone."

Archived