Sharpton: 'Gangsterism' Harming Blacks

DKW 86

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SHA...-08-17-22-38-24

Sharpton: 'Gangsterism' Harming Blacks

By CLIFF BRUNT

Associated Press Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Many black youths fall under a spell of "gangster mentality," preventing them from becoming leaders and making a positive impact in politics, the Rev. Al Sharpton said.

The civil rights activist faulted Hollywood and the record industry for making "gangsterism" seem cool and acceptable.

"We have got to get out of this gangster mentality, acting as if gangsterism and blackness are synonymous," Sharpton said Thursday at the annual conference of the National Association of Black Journalists.

"I think we've allowed a whole generation of young people to feel that if they're focused, they're not black enough. If they speak well and act well, they're acting white, and there's nothing more racist than that."

The key to leadership is taking the initiative to change things, said Sharpton. He said his National Action Network is just one group willing to help young black leaders get into politics.

"Nobody broke in my house in Brooklyn and dragged me out the projects and made me a leader, I wanted to do that. Clearly, we would work with young people who want to do the work," he said.

Lottie Shackelford, vice chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, said during the same panel discussion that the time is ripe for getting more young black people involved.

"So many young folks are waiting to be asked, or they say they want others to move so they can gain a slot, and I say, there's room for everybody. Let's work together," she said.

Sharpton, who competed in several Democratic primaries during a 2004 presidential bid, said he might run again in 2008 but will decide after this November's elections.

I think he is actually making an attempt to change his image a bit. I saw him on the Glenn Beck Program on CNN a few weeks ago. He actually answered questions and was quite interesting. I was impressed. There was no dodging and ludicrous claims. He made some interesting points that I had never really considered. He sounded almost like Cosby. Not near as eloquent, but a good try.

For those of you that don't know, Beck is a conservative radio talk show host that also has a TV show in the evenings on CNN. A couple of years ago, you couldn't have paid Sharpton enough to go on a show like that and actually answer questions.

I think he is actually making an attempt to change his image a bit. I saw him on the Glenn Beck Program on CNN a few weeks ago. He actually answered questions and was quite interesting. I was impressed. There was no dodging and ludicrous claims. He made some interesting points that I had never really considered. He sounded almost like Cosby. Not near as eloquent, but a good try.

For those of you that don't know, Beck is a conservative radio talk show host that also has a TV show in the evenings on CNN. A couple of years ago, you couldn't have paid Sharpton enough to go on a show like that and actually answer questions.

I get worried when Al Sharpton starts answering questions and NOT making ludicrous claims. Something's wrong here. Very, very wrong.

Sharpton is a bright, articulate guy. Questionable personal judgment and ethical decision-making, but quite bright.

Archived