DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Cox enjoys more balanced attack

Auburn No. 4 in AP preseason

Tuberville downplays Tigers' highest preseason ranking since 1990

Saturday, August 19, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- The high expectations for Auburn's 2006 football season just got a little bit higher.

Auburn is ranked No. 4 in the Associated Press preseason poll released Friday evening. The Tigers received three first-place votes and were sandwiched between No. 3 Texas and fifth-ranked West Virginia.

"I thought they learned their lesson the last time, but obviously, they haven't," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville joked after Friday's practice. "It doesn't make a lot of difference. We appreciate the recognition, but we've got a lot of work to do."

Ohio State is the overwhelming choice at No. 1, ahead of second-ranked Notre Dame.

Alabama is just outside of the top 25, only 41 points behind No. 25 Texas Tech. The Tide defeated the Raiders in the Cotton Bowl last January.

Four other SEC teams are ranked: No. 7 Florida, No. 8 LSU, No. 15 Georgia and No. 23 Tennessee.

"I'm sure there are better teams than we are right now," Tuberville said. "We made some strides. We've got to get back healthy and get ready for a very tough opening game."

Auburn has been in this position before. The Tigers started the 2003 season ranked No. 6 in the AP poll, but quickly lost games to Southern California and Georgia Tech.

"We've gone through this before and had all kinds of expectations," Tuberville said. "We started playing for second pretty quick during the season."

This is Auburn's highest preseason ranking since the 1990 team was ranked third. That Pat Dye-coached team went 8-3-1 and played in the Peach Bowl.

The Tigers have now started the year ranked in the top 10 15 times. Auburn finished the 2005 season ranked 14th in the AP.

Veterans who played during the 2003 season, after which Tuberville nearly lost his job, know to take the preseason polls with a grain of salt.

"Some of the guys were here," Tuberville said. "They understand it. Just go out there and take your pats on your back for what you haven't done and now you've got to go out there and earn what you're going to earn. It's all about getting the job done and not worrying about what anybody else thinks."

Auburn is ranked sixth in the USA Today coaches' poll, which was released earlier in the month.

The AP poll is no longer used in the formula that determines the BCS rankings.

Ohio State defeated Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl in January, helping propel the Buckeyes to their first preseason No. 1 ranking since 1998.

AP poll notes

Ohio State received its seventh preseason No. 1 rankings. Only Oklahoma with nine has had more preseason No. 1 rankings.

-- Ohio State has never won the national title in a season in which it was preseason No. 1. Oklahoma has won the national title four times when it started No. 1. The Buckeyes finished second in 1998 after being preseason No. 1.

-- Ohio State has been ranked in 53 of 57 preseason polls, the most of any school. Notre Dame and Oklahoma have been ranked 48 times.

-- California has its highest preseason ranking at No. 9 since 1952 (No. 8)

-- Six teams received first-place votes in the preseason AP Top 25. The most teams to receive first-place votes in the preseason poll is 11 in 1984.

-- The SEC has the most teams ranked in the preseason Top 25 with five. The ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-10 each have four. The Big East has two, the Mountain West has one and there is one independent.

The SEC has the most teams ranked in the preseason Top 25 with five. The ACC, Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-10 each have four. The Big East has two, the Mountain West has one and there is one independent

Everyone remember this when the media starts up their "SEC needs to play tougher non-conference games" B.S. this year.

I don't like being ranked this high in the preseason. It seems that we always choke when we're expected to do well. I hope Tuberville and the players don't buy into the hype like they did in 2003. I read the article and I hope the coaches can keep the players level headed.

I don't like being ranked this high in the preseason. It seems that we always choke when we're expected to do well. I hope Tuberville and the players don't buy into the hype like they did in 2003. I read the article and I hope the coaches can keep the players level headed.

Argh.... typical Auburn fan response <_<

In no way was hype ever a factor for the 2003 season. Not at all. I dont think players such as Campbell, Rogers, Caddy, & Ronnie ever let hype get to them. Everyone knows the experiment with Nall.

If Auburn cant accept the hype and run with it, you will never see this football team in a National Championship game.

Gotta admit that PowerI has the most appropriate userpic of anyone here...

Lots of differences between preseason '03 and preseason '06 and I'll leave it at that.

Auburn deserves the high ranking and it's good for the program and recruting! You have to believe that this year the team will be ready and play some great football! You have to have a positive attitude because none of us play the games so just sit back and enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!! :big:

Archived