"Brother" Oliver speaks

quietfan

I know he's not very popular with a lot of Auburn and/or UAT fans, but the man could coach defense. Here's a very long article in the Birmingham News in which he gives his version of events at Bama and Auburn.

I'll leave it to you to read the whole thing if you're interested. I'll just quote his assessment of Spurrier & USC's defense for the upcoming season:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh...&thispage=1

ALEXANDER CITY -- Steve Spurrier came incognito, hoping the third time was a charm in February.

Spurrier was adjusting his South Carolina staff after season one. This time, he thought he had the defensive coordinator he'd tried to hire twice before.

"I picked him up at the airport and nobody saw us. I took him to the house and we spent four hours talking," Bill Oliver said. "Then he flew out, telling me to think it over."

Sue, Oliver's wife, didn't have to think much. Her advice was immediate: Take it.

But Bill "Brother" Oliver, with his 67th birthday looming in November and his fishing boat always available, spurned his old friend again.

"I knew he was going to struggle defensively. They've got nothing back there," Oliver explained.

"Listen, Terry Bowden inherited a team from Pat Dye, who's one of my oldest friends, that was less than ordinary and he goes undefeated.

"Tommy Tuberville inherited some pretty darn good football players. But no one can say that

sounds like old brother is slipping into senility quite nicely. i'm too lazy to check, but i'd be willing to bet, there are more players on that "less than ordinary team" tot inherited from dye in the nfl than there are players in the nfl that tot recruited on his own. as we all know, by the time tuberville was hired, the program was in pretty dire straits.

In his retirement, Oliver is reconnecting with folks in Tuscaloosa. After all, "I'm an Alabama fan," Oliver said. He's starting to attend scrimmages. Last year, he met with Tide defensive coordinator Joe Kines one time to assess the defense.

“I went over for a day," Oliver said. "If I was asked a question, I answered. They were very curious about what look I'd give Florida."

For the record, Alabama routed the Gators 31-3

thats what i've suspected for a while now. and i'm sure i'm not alone. ole brother is going to be back at alabama some day soon. joe kines better watch his back. thats a damn shame too. it always gave me a sence of security seeing joe kines on the opposing sideline. but, crazy old bill might be good for another round or two of probation.

since he is a uat fan(no surprise) he will do what he can to hurt Auburn.

He didn't take the SC job because he knows today's offenses are more than a

match for his style defense. He was good 20 years ago, today fishing and answering the same

questions every week on PF is about the best he can do.

LOL, Bowden couldn't recruit!! He certainly didn't leave Coach Tuberville that much talent. Remember AU's running game under Bowden (with the exception of Stephen Davis)? To me, Coach Tuberville is bringing in is OWN talent and is doing very well with it. That article was so slanted toward the Turds it's not even funny. If Terry Bowden is so good then why isn't he coaching somewhere???????

Oliver's a self-pimping moron. A good defensive coach back in the day, but an absolute CANCER on a coaching staff.

If you believe he taped coaching meetings to play them for his wife on the pontoon boat, I've got four acres of sky I'd like to sell you.

My jaw dropped when my I eyes ran across the sentence "Bowden left Tubbs with good talent." Is

his memory that bad? That whole article is a joke. We had no running game and the offensive line was

horrible. I'm glad the good ol' boy Bro Bill never became HC.

I just read parts of this.

As G2 said, Oliver is a CANCER on a Coaching staff. Ask CGS, ask CTB. I would never turn my back to the man. He was an great DC back in the day. He probably did give :ua: the edge in the :uf: game. Otherwise, Oliver is a bad omen for a team.

When CTT got here he said: "There are players here on this team that should not be in a Div1 Uniform, let alone playing in the SEC." We transferred 7-8 to Academic schollies in deference to their complete lack of talent/size. CTB was a horrible recruiter. CTB was a horrible leader'role model.

Oliver needs to sober up and changes his Depends. He stinks.

i remember reading something, maybe even on here, that said that dye knew that his '93 team was going to be something special and there was a lot of talent on that team.. and we know what CTT started with compared to what we have now. sounds like bro bill is full of it.

I wish the old war horse no ill will. Some guys get bitter and their stories change as they get older.

Onward and upward. We have got other, more important , things to consider.

I wish the old war horse no ill will. Some guys get bitter and their stories change as they get older.

I agree. I'm still trying to find the nip here in Huntsville. With 95 deg and above everyday the only thing I'm feeling is humidity :)

I agree. I'm still trying to find the nip here in Huntsville. With 95 deg and above everyday the only thing I'm feeling is humidity :)

It's a state of mind PT. Get out and about and take a long look. The first game is only less than a week away. :thumbsup:

It's a state of mind PT. Get out and about and take a long look. The first game is only less than a week away. :thumbsup:

It may be the morning of Sept. 2 in Auburn before I find it.

Brother was a pretty good DC in his day, but it always seemed no matter where he was at, that he was involved some way or another in some crap that was going on. I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but it seems to follow him everywhere now, even in retirement (he seems to always be vengeful towards Auburn in his interviews, but I don't really give a crap what he thinks). He's crazy if he thinks CTB got screwed and that Auburn was loaded when CTB resigned (and I still cannot figure out how we still had to pay him since HE was the one that terminated his emploment! CTB couldn't recruit if his life depended on it! His style of recruiting was to go pickup Pappa Bowden's rejects, put these players on the team for a year or two, bail them out of jail a few times, then dismiss them once he got another load of rejects from FSU! CTB may have been a good strategist (in the passing game), but he lacked all the other skills needed to be a DIV-1 coach.

Here is why I don't particularly care for CTB and respect and appreciate CTT. Same location similar circumstances occurred. When CTB was hired, basketball season was in full swing, and generally speaking, the new coaches tend to come out to a home basketball game to say hello to the fans. Well, CTB did just that. But, the impression he left on me was horrible! He was walking around the inner concourse (in between the upper and lower seats at Beard-Eaves) and came towards me. I turned toward him, stuck my hand out to say hello and shake his hand (and he was looking dead at me when I did this) and passed by me a few strides. I guess he had to somewhere other than right there! I guess he realized he made a mistake and turned back and shook my hand, but scooted off. He made no apologies for his actions, no hello, just shook my hand and walked off! :puke:

A few years later, CTT happened to be at an Auburn basketball game after he was hired, at the same time I was there. Again, I was standing on the inner concourse, when CTT walked around this concourse and approached me. HE put out his hand first, said that he was CTT and WAR EAGLE! Totally opposite from our former, napoleon football coach. It's true what they say about first impressions and CTT's actions made a valuable first impression on me. I knew immediately he was the man for the job (although Auburn hit a few snags in 2003). He stood there and asked me about what I expected out of Auburn, and then offered to me what to expect from him and his coaching staff. He also went on to make his sales pitches to me about the football program and that they would return it back to being an elite program again. I told him I just wanted to see the heart and passion in the players again and that everything else would fall in place. I told him he needn't worry whether or not I would be there because I will forever bleed Orange and Blue and be at all home games if at all possible! We talked for a couple of more minutes, and he thanked me for the discussion! How many people in every day life do this? Not too many!

In my opinion, CTB is just another cancerous cell, just like his buddy BBO! CTT is the man for Auburn and we'll see where he leads us, hopefully to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP someday! War Eagle!! :au:

Archived