Hoover High School TV Show

outoftowntiger

I may be the last person to hear about this and it may have been discussed in previous threads (if so a thousand pardons). Has anyone heard/seen the "reality" show that is supposed to air on MTV called "Two-A-Days"? It covers Hoover High football and the culture in general. I'm not sure what to say. There are clips on the MTV website. Check it out. . . very disturbing. . . .

whats so disturbing about it....??? Just my Old highshcool... WA BERRY reincarnated

to HOOVER HIGH...ought to be a good TV Show...Just wondering of those are real students or just actors going by a script?

whats so disturbing about it....??? Just my Old highshcool... WA BERRY reincarnated

to HOOVER HIGH...ought to be a good TV Show...Just wondering of those are real students or just actors going by a script?

they're not actors...mtv does step in and tells them some things to do, but they are real students

With my experience with reality-tv, I would be a bit worried about the finished product. I hope the show ends up like the school would like it to show them, but I wouldn't count on it. " Coaching" people on reality-tv shows on what to say is very common practice.

This is not MTV's first go-around with a high school football reality show. I believe it started with some team in Texas. Definitely not actors, the lineup includes.....Ross Wilson, Max Lerner, and others. The show debuts Wednesday at 10:30 ET if your interested.

I think it is great for the state and Hoover to be seen Nationwide on Mtv should be great to watch even though when I was in school I hated Hoover! :big:

My niece goes their and said they tried to make a big deal about AL football and Ross' brother..that everybody aspires to get a scholly their?...give me a break.

A friend of mine teaches at Hoover High. The things she has seen and heard about the amount of influence the MTV execs had on the students and faculty is ridiculous. Seems there was a lot of "hmm, where can we start drama?" Get kids to break off relationships, cheat, act out at home, exaggerate situations, injuries, etc.

There's going to be a big premier of the show at the theatre in Hoover. Media, red carpet, the whole deal.

Probably going to be something like the Laguna Beach show, kids get famous for being famous.

See above comments. Anything "reality" is anything but reality. I know this puts a spot light on the school, but I think after the show is down with the people in charge will wish they weren't involved. Do not trust producers involved in reality shows. They get paid to make a story out of nothing. I have a few "Wife Swapping" and “Guess who’s coming to Dinner” stories that will make you cringe.

I guess that's what concerns me. From the clips I saw, it looks like Hoover, and by association the state, will be characterized as a football crazed culture that lives and dies on the performance of sixteen year olds who have the chance to "play like gods" (insert worse James Van Der Beek southern accent). If it's like most "reality" shows it will likely be staged, coached, and edited to death. In the end, I just wonder if the finished product will be a positive or negative for those involved and the community as a whole. I'm anxious to see an episode and judge for myself.

I guess that's what concerns me. From the clips I saw, it looks like Hoover, and by association the state, will be characterized as a football crazed culture that lives and dies on the performance of sixteen year olds who have the chance to "play like gods" (insert worse James Van Der Beek southern accent). If it's like most "reality" shows it will likely be staged, coached, and edited to death. In the end, I just wonder if the finished product will be a positive or negative for those involved and the community as a whole. I'm anxious to see an episode and judge for myself.

Yeah, it's as if a producer for MTV said "Rural Texas; Urban/Suburban Alabama; Same difference"

I graduated Hoover a few years ago so I still know people there and they have said pretty much the same as you all have... that stuff is exaggerated to make it look like Laguna Beach. I hope that it doesn't portray us in a negative light... It's hilarious just hearing people's conversation here around Auburn about Hoover and their football program and stuff. I think everyone in the state is highly anticipating this.

yeah, well here's the thing. These are high school kids. They are about to be on national tv. Can they live up the hype of their new found fame? Is it right when one of the kids gets shown in a negative light AND it's basically just a story line that has been made up to get ratings? NO..and NO.

Maybe I have seen a few to many people go through a show thinking they were going to be portrayed one way only to have it come out all wrong.

Don't be surprised if someone's little girl (maybe a cheerleader) shown to be a trouble making tramp. Don't be surprised is a racial spin is put on one character or episode (this is being shot in Alabama...don't think that a New York or LA producer has forgotten that fact).

All the girls on the show, the ones that play a significant role anyway, get paid $1k an episode...not bad for simply being a Hoover brat.

I hope that it doesn't portray us in a negative light...
No, all the Hoover big wigs have already seen it and approved it. They would not have approved it if it in any way shed a negative light on all that is Hoover University. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's just another teen drama...a co-worker of mine has a daughter in it and says it's not a big deal. He said it's as "ground-breaking" as Laguna Beach...it just revolves around high school football in Alabama instead of Beverly Hills.

well it's my understanding that they approved MTV being there up front, but that after the cameras were there they didn't really have a say as to whether it aired or not. think about it, why would MTV spend money to shoot the thing and spend 1k on the girls in it (this is the first i have heard of anything like that) if they were going to let Hoover approve it after the fact?

1K is cheap. Instead of paying one actor/actress say 50,000k for a series (on the low side), they are paying 1k an episode, which there will probably be no more than 12 episodes. Here are the things about reality shows that make them popular to produce; they are very cheap to make including they are notoriously cheap on crew/talent budgets, locations are usually at someone’s house or in a studio (no large sets that require a small army to light and control the surroundings) and usually don’t have to pay the contestants until the end for example that million dollar prize money, which was paid for by midway through the first show on advertising.

A show like this, the big expenses are paying for a good editor (which is probably in house already) and paying travel expenses. They are paying 1k for these girls…that’s nothing. The boys that are in the spot light I’m sure they aren’t getting paid too much more than the girls are and the school is probably getting a kickback of some sort. Hey, I hope the show brings a good light to all the good things that happen at Hoover and the kids there, but you can’t possibly believe that’s the case. We are talking about the same mtv that brought you The Real World, the show that is a large reason the reality world we live in is part of our lives. The Real World was true to life…yeah right. Look, MTV is going to make their money off the show. To maximize their profit they need people to watch. MTV’s demographic is the 12-16 year olds, some football fans, some not. As nice as it would be to think that they are not shooting this show for the community of Hoover, that’s not even close to being the case. They are shooting it to get the 12-16 year olds to watch it and how do you do that, you give them drama. Most of the kids in the US watching the show could care less about Hoover High school Football.

The boys that are in the spot light I’m sure they aren’t getting paid too much more than the girls are and the school is probably getting a kickback of some sort.

The football players aren't getting paid a dime.

and neither is the school. supposedly the old superintendent negotiated the contract to where hoover got $1 out of the deal or something. pretty stupid move if you ask me.

So even if Hoover didn't approve of the show, it obviously wouldn't have been a huge loss...not that MTV puts out decent television anyway.

Here is what cracks me up with MTV. They do all these comercials about being yourself and finding your own path and being equal etc etc etc, then they turn around and make shows based off the glorious life of the in crowd and having money and wanting to be someone else (The Sweet 16 show, Laguna Beach, Made etc).

MTV needs to be DTV (drama television).

Archived