AU wasn't just...

SKCAUB

Well, I'm glad to have inspired another lively conversation...and if my tone seemed to be condescending,

please forgive me, that was not my intention.

HOWEVER...modern football started in 1960???!!! Where is that written? I've been watching college football since the 50's kid...and you don't know what the heck you're talking about. Which kind of makes my point. And our history is terrific, pre-Bahr, and we should all be proud of it!!! :poke:

:au::homer:

You guys should be proud, be proud of your school in every way. AU has a great history. Im not real sure about records, but in the last 20 years or so AU has really done well in the SEC. They did well before that too, but the last 20 years have been really good for you guys.

Good Lord is the sky falling!!!!!!!! A bammer fan saying nice things about Auburn. Just messing....thanks, most bama fans would not even admit that Auburn has a history.

I am proud of Auburn history. Of course Auburn has done very well over the last twenty-five years, which kind of makes my point. We were not thought of as a power until Dye's tenure. Auburn has done well over its 100 plus year history, but nationally our history does not stand up to some of the other bigger names. I am not saying this to piss anyone off, but it is true. If Auburn wins a national title or two and competes in major bowls over an extended period then I would rethink my statement. Why did Auburn not get invited to the 2004 championship game? Because we lacked the history and national appeal as Oklahoma. It was really that simple. I didn't like the decision any more than you guys, but the fact is the nation does not hold Auburn in the same esteem as some other football programs. We have all talked before about how Notre Dame and USC get preferrential treatment by the media and it really sucks. We got jipped, but the only way to assure that Auburn doesn't get the short end anymore is to go out there and take every "EVERY" game seriously and win them. We cannot have anymore Wisconsin or Georgia Tech meltdowns. You see, every time Auburn climbs that mountain and knocks on the door of the elite, our guys pull a Wisconsin. I see a bright future for Auburn as long as we don't get put on probation for anything.

I dunno about you guys that think it started with Pat Dye but I believe it started in 1892 with Georgie Petri coaching the first Auburn football squad against the Georgia Bulldawgs which was the FIRST football game in the south, we were the first to win a game in the south and since then Auburn has dominated and has a winning record above all but two schools in the SEC. I believe in what Auburn was, is, and will be -and love it

Domination in my opinion is 10 plus wins a season for a long time, multiple major bowl games in a row, competing for national championships, and consistently winning SEC titles. When have we done that? The only time I can remember that we got close was during Dye's tenure and it seems Tubberville is leading us to another level. Auburn was very good through portions of Jordan's tenure, but it was not consistent. And, we were on probation duirng the best year of his career, 1957.

Auburn has been served the short end many times over the years but we cant do anything about the past but in the past we have earned respect for the present.

Auburn has some of the greatest upsets of any team out there. 1942 Georgia, '72 Bama, '93 '94 and '01 Florida, '89 Bama, '90 FSU, and alot more. Who also scored the msot points ever against a Bear Bryant coached team?

I'm not really in that big of mood to argue but yes I do wish auburn had dominated more and won some more championships. it gets rubbed in to much as it is.

Auburn has some of the greatest upsets of any team out there. 1942 Georgia, '72 Bama, '93 '94 and '01 Florida, '89 Bama, '90 FSU, and alot more.

The 1989 uat game was definitely not an upset. And a guy born in 1980 is no expert on Auburn football before Pat Dye.

Auburn has some of the greatest upsets of any team out there. 1942 Georgia, '72 Bama, '93 '94 and '01 Florida, '89 Bama, '90 FSU, and alot more.

The 1989 uat game was definitely not an upset. And a guy born in 1980 is no expert on Auburn football before Pat Dye.

now TigerFan I hope you back me up on this one. Bama was undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl and Auburn came out on top. Even tho AUburn had had a exceptionally good season also they were not expected to win that game.

I was born in 1990 so I dont know where ur 1980 came from unless you are talking to someone else

I was born in 1979 and I am not an expert on the early days of AU football, nor do I claim to be. I know alot about Auburn football history though. I am tired of talking about it anyway. Auburn entered the national stage when Pat Dye came on the plains. Tubberville seems to be taking us to the next level, the level of the elite. Talking about the early days of football is irrelevant. Why don't we talk about where Auburn is going and strive to be included among the nation's all-time great programs.

Well, I'm glad to have inspired another lively conversation...and if my tone seemed to be condescending,

please forgive me, that was not my intention.

HOWEVER...modern football started in 1960???!!! Where is that written? I've been watching college football since the 50's kid...and you don't know what the heck you're talking about. Which kind of makes my point. And our history is terrific, pre-Bahr, and we should all be proud of it!!! :poke:

:au::homer:

You guys should be proud, be proud of your school in every way. AU has a great history. Im not real sure about records, but in the last 20 years or so AU has really done well in the SEC. They did well before that too, but the last 20 years have been really good for you guys.

Good Lord is the sky falling!!!!!!!! A bammer fan saying nice things about Auburn. Just messing....thanks, most bama fans would not even admit that Auburn has a history.

Eh, my comments dont mean I like AU or anything. I still cant stand them, but...............there is no need to lie about things either.

Tigerfan 1234

First off just because your relatives played at Auburn you are no more an expert than any 26 year old. Auburn has a rich and storied history. Just because we only have one officially NC in 1957 and three other where we shared the MNC does not make it trivial. How many MNC's has Florida got? One. Clemson? My point is there are many teams that have great history but have never done more that Auburn has.

Also there was life before 1979 and I was there. To say Auburn's History started in 1981 is like telling Alabama their history started in 1982 when Ray Perkins took over or only the last half of Joe Paterno's career counts.

When you have experienced real life and approach the half century mark you will understand why history is so important. If I had used my advice to you today back in 1979 I might not had to take History 101 a second time LOL Back then I thought History was not important but now I see why it is so important to know where you come from and the mistakes our forefathers made to grow and prosper.

Hope this years team learns from the 2003 team.

I don't mean to insult anyone who is older than me. I am a person who loves learning about history actually. I guess I was trying to say that we have always been a good program just not elite. There is a difference in my mind. By saying that, I don't want people to think I don't love and respect Auburn history. There have been a few times when Auburn should have been awarded a national title but it didn't happen because of favortism and that really stinks. In my view, we are on the verge of something really big. I think Auburn is in the midst of maybe the greatest run in the history of AU football right now. It's hard to say when you are living right through it. In thirty years I think we will back on the early 2000's and say those were definitely some of the best years in AU history. But by then, I hope the Auburn program will be on another level entirely. I appreciate history and understand that we need to know what happened in the past to get where we are going in the future. It's just that I don't want Auburn to rest on the history people before have created. The great thing about sports is that teams can reinvent themselves. It happens all the time, Red Sox recently, Patriots, Bucs and many others. We get on Bama all the time for living in the past so I don't want Auburn fans to do the same. Plus, we don't have multiple national championships like Bama so that should serve as some motivation for our guys to go out there and try to get some BCS trophys. I can see how when I am fifty years old and some young Auburn fan in the year 2030 may say to me modern football didn't start until the year 2000 and I would think huh? So if I insulted some of the older people on the board, that was not my intention.

The 1989 game wasn't the upset some of you young'uns make it out to be. True, Bama came into JHS 10-0 to face a 8-2 :au: team. In the week leading up to that game, there was no doubt who was going to come away with the win. Bama was walking into a buzz saw, everyone knew it (even the Tide as they came out onto the field on December 2, 1989). There had fear in their eyes.

So under your logic 1234, UF has better tradition than AU because UF has a consensus national championship while AU does not. UF started playing football in 1909 and before 1991, their program achieved NOTHING except Spurrier's 1966 Heisman. Their "tradition" lasted from 1991-2000, during which they won their consensus and only MNC. We have 8 times as many seasons without a loss, 4 times as many All-Americans, 3 times as may bowls, wins over top 10 teams and every other way you can measure a "great" program. Part of getting a MNC in college football is being great in the right year (not 2004), having a blowhard to bully the newspapers (see Bamas '78, '73, '65, and '42 MNCs) and having the stars allign correctly for the media. It's not "generational", your analysis is flawed and sense of college football history is...not there .

"Modern football technically didn't really start until the 60's"

You've been appropriately beaten up for this one already so I'll just say if you went back before the mid-1930s, you'd probably be shocked @ how similar football then is to now, including the use of one squad for defense and one for offense (the extensive use of 2-way players people associate w/ "pre-modern football" started in earnest around World War 2). If you went back to the 1890s, you'd be horrified @ how much MORE violent the sport was w/ the "flying wedge", virtually no pads, etc. than today (12 players died during games in 1900, prompting Teddy Roosevelt to tell colleges to mitigate the violence or he'd outlaw the sport). There's more to football than faceguards.

Your heart's in the right place dude, War Eagle. :au:

now TigerFan I hope you back me up on this one. Bama was undefeated coming into the Iron Bowl and Auburn came out on top. Even tho AUburn had had a exceptionally good season also they were not expected to win that game.

I was born in 1990 so I dont know where ur 1980 came from unless you are talking to someone else

The 1989 game wasn't the upset some of you young'uns make it out to be. True, Bama came into JHS 10-0 to face a 8-2 :au: team. In the week leading up to that game, there was no doubt who was going to come away with the win. Bama was walking into a buzz saw, everyone knew it (even the Tide as they came out onto the field on December 2, 1989). There had fear in their eyes.

That is exactly my point. As Pat Dye said, that game was won before it was ever played - it was won the day it was moved to Auburn.

Oh, and the comment about 1980 was directed at 1234. But crashman, since you admit being born the year after the "upset" we were debating (and the guy who has your back was only 9), don't you think you should believe those of us who had to endure a childhood as an Auburn fan during the 70's, where you have the yearly post-Thanksgiving neighborhood brawl where it's just you and your brother (sons of Auburn grads) versus every kid whose high school drop-out dad bought him a meshback bammer ballcap and a koolaid-stained "hang on bear, I'm coming" tee shirt?

Archived