Does history repeat itself?

RadioWryn

The year was 1990. Auburn entered the season ranked 4th in the country by the Associated Press Poll, having beaten Alabama at home by 10 points the year before, the win culminating a streak of winning four-in-a-row over Alabama. That Alabama team lost two games.

Auburn opened against a mediocre west coast school in 1990, beating Cal-State Fullerton 38-17 at Jordan-Hare. That was followed by a win over Ole Miss in Jackson, MS (I don't know) 24-10. Auburn trailed Tennessee on ESPN the following week 23-9 before rallying for two late touchdowns to tie the Vols 23-23. The tie sent Auburn sprawling out of the top 5. Consecutive wins over La Tech (only 16-14, eek), Vandy, Florida State, and Mississippi State had Auburn #2 in the country on November 3rd before a date with Florida. Unranked Gators 48, #2 Tigers 7. Auburn followed up that wonderful performance with a loss to Brett Favre's Southern Miss team, then beat Georgia by 23, but lost to Bama by 9. Auburn went to the Peach Bowl and beat Indiana by 4, finishing the season 8-3-1, ranked 19th.

Auburn would go 5-6 in 1991, 5-5-1 in 1992, and Pat Dye was out of a job. Just a thought.

The Eric Ramsey story wwas breaking right about mid-season and the kids got distracted for basically the next two season we did very badly.

Dye was also battling the early effects of his illness, to make matters worse. ( Remember how poorly the Tigers did when CTT was suffering from his neck problems? Same sort of deal. )

For me, the loss @ UF marked the beginning of the end for the Dye era.

I'm not thrilled to see UF again, almost never am, but at least we have them on the Plains this year.

And most players on this team weren't more than 5 yrs old back in 1990. Most younger. I doubt they could care less about 1990.

The Eric Ramsey story wwas breaking right about mid-season and the kids got distracted for basically the next two season we did very badly.

\

No UAT-type excuses please. We weren't very good and it showed.

Another difference was having a freshman QB.

But thanks for bringing me down memory lane. That Tennessee game was exciting and what a relief to walk out with a tie. But that FSU game was one of the top 3 most exciting games I have had privilege to watch at J-H. We had this sack on Casey Welden that seemed to take 10 minutes to unfold. Welden just kept going back and back and back. And the crowd noise grew louder and louder and louder.

The after-game celebration in the stairs is the only time I have ever done the tomahawk chop. Its actually kinda fun.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I am more worried about the parallels to 1895. In 1994, we had lost three games and not made a bowl game. The following year we only won two games and did not go to a bowl game.

Of course, we did have a new coach that year, so that doesn't really mean anything.

But we did beat Alabama 48-0, so I guess it wasn't a complete falure of a season.

Lets rehash the good, not the bad. Think positive! War Eagle!! :au:

While we're going down 1990 memory lane...

Dye SO outcoached Bowden in '90 it was hysterical. All game long. FSU had twice the talent as us. FSU was down by 3 near the end of the game and w/in long fieldgoal range and everybody on the planet must have been thinking the same thing..."wouldn't this be an obvious place for Bobby to pull a fumblerooskie, a la Clemson 1988." The moron did just that, our noseguard Walter "Barbeque" Tate was also watching for it, he jumped on the loose ball, and AU won by 3. The "dumbrooskie" it came to be called. Another fondue fork in the seething Noles that still shows itself when they whine about Housel cancelling out on their "revenge" game in '99. :au:

But thanks for bringing me down memory lane. That Tennessee game was exciting and what a relief to walk out with a tie. But that FSU game was one of the top 3 most exciting games I have had privilege to watch at J-H. We had this sack on Casey Welden that seemed to take 10 minutes to unfold. Welden just kept going back and back and back. And the crowd noise grew louder and louder and louder.

The after-game celebration in the stairs is the only time I have ever done the tomahawk chop. Its actually kinda fun.

'90 was my senior year...went to every game but one (MSU in Starknaked).

Ole Miss game in Jackson was the hottest game I've ever attended with no close seconds. 1:30 kickoff on Sept. 15 and it rained that morning, so it was a complete sauna bath. Concession stands ran out of ice after the first quarter and damn near everybody was running for shade at the half. Dennis Wallace ran back an INT for a TD very late to seal that game...24-10 didn't really indicate the closeness.

The Tennessee game...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the rolling of Toomer's Corner after that 26-26 sister-kisser was the only time that ever occurred after a non-win. Tennessee should have won the game, anyway, because they had about a 35-yard FG to win the game and their kicker, Greg Burke, yanked it about 10 yards wide left...wasn't even close.

The FSU game that year was sweet revenge...if any of you were at the '89 FSU game in Tallahassee (I was), you know why the AU band serenaded the Seminoles off the field with the tomahawk chop. I enjoyed chopping them out of Jordan-Hare very much.

I had the misfortune of attending the Florida game that year, too...it's a good thing I had fun Friday night in Gainesville because Saturday night SUCKED. That's the only time I've ever left a game early. Virginia was #1 and they lost to Georgia Tech that day, Nebraska was #2 and they lost to Colorado...AU could have taken over the #1 spot with a win and proceeded to play the most pathetic excuse for a game I've EVER seen an AU team play...ev-er. It was worse than the '01 Alabama game, considering what was at stake.

That '90 team dodged many bullets...one that wasn't mentioned was a harrowing 17-16 win @ MSU the week before the Florida game. AU blocked a PAT late that would have likely caused that game to end in a tie.

That team underachieved, but it could have been even worse than 8-3-1.

'90 was my senior year...went to every game but one (MSU in Starknaked).

Ole Miss game in Jackson was the hottest game I've ever attended with no close seconds. 1:30 kickoff on Sept. 15 and it rained that morning, so it was a complete sauna bath. Concession stands ran out of ice after the first quarter and damn near everybody was running for shade at the half. Dennis Wallace ran back an INT for a TD very late to seal that game...24-10 didn't really indicate the closeness.

The Tennessee game...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the rolling of Toomer's Corner after that 26-26 sister-kisser was the only time that ever occurred after a non-win. Tennessee should have won the game, anyway, because they had about a 35-yard FG to win the game and their kicker, Greg Burke, yanked it about 10 yards wide left...wasn't even close.

The FSU game that year was sweet revenge...if any of you were at the '89 FSU game in Tallahassee (I was), you know why the AU band serenaded the Seminoles off the field with the tomahawk chop. I enjoyed chopping them out of Jordan-Hare very much.

I had the misfortune of attending the Florida game that year, too...it's a good thing I had fun Friday night in Gainesville because Saturday night SUCKED. That's the only time I've ever left a game early. Virginia was #1 and they lost to Georgia Tech that day, Nebraska was #2 and they lost to Colorado...AU could have taken over the #1 spot with a win and proceeded to play the most pathetic excuse for a game I've EVER seen an AU team play...ev-er. It was worse than the '01 Alabama game, considering what was at stake.

That '90 team dodged many bullets...one that wasn't mentioned was a harrowing 17-16 win @ MSU the week before the Florida game. AU blocked a PAT late that would have likely caused that game to end in a tie.

That team underachieved, but it could have been even worse than 8-3-1.

I was at the game in Jackson in 1990 and I must agree with you. That has to be the hottest game ever. I too remember the people running for the shade. One of the things I remember most from that day was the amount of elderly people that were about to pass out. However the thing I remember most was seeing Chucky Mullins at the locker room after the game. I will always admire Chucky for the courage and determination he showed through out his whole ordeal. Mullins' #38 will officially be retired Sept. 3rd when Ole Miss takes on Memphis.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1671915/posts

http://www.geocities.com/ole_miss_sports/c...ie_mullins.html

Archived