CTT,defense, O-line

Tygerman34

two words about an undersized defense:

eleven sacks

go figure?

Go figure this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2554075

You can post the same link twice if you think that reinforces your position, it's still just an opinion. Most of that article isn't even about AU, and has but one small blurb about our defense....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"CTT has done a hell of a job and wins arent the only thing that matters IMO...."

If you truly feel this way, then why do we play the game? :blink: I'll tell you why we play: We play to win, not just to "feel" good about who we are and what's going on outside the lines.

So then who would you like to coach us? :homer:

They weren't mentally prepared for the Wisconsin game. That' all there was to it.

No truer words have been spoken...I agree 100% they were having to good a time in Orlando and were not ready for that game whatsoever!

Agree. I was there, and what a long humilitating game. The coaching staff took Wisconsin far too lightly and this filtered down to the players and having fun. Ultimately this could turn out to be a real blessing for the team this year... it brought us back down too earth ... making UA look like 15 cents with the 11 sacks had us still floating on cloud nine. We have had our wake up call and I think we are still seeing the impact on CTT. We have probably learned that the real fun comes after the game has been won. I have been and remain quite proud of the character of this program from coaches to the players and are glad them represent AU so well.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I agree with the OL suggestion. We seem to be treating the symptoms every year rather than curing the illness. Even though we have recruited a few great OL, we seem to sign alot of second and third tier recruits. I would hope that we do a better job with this in the future!

Linemen are going to get injured. That's the position most susceptible to injury - its horrible on the knees and lower back. Its not an "illness", its a risk in football. The only "cure" is to recruit solid players that are capable of filling in when a big guy goes down. Have we not done that? When is the last time an OL injury has hurt us? I can't remember one in 4 years.

Nall is one of the best OL coaches that knows how to prepare these kids. Let him do his job, quit worrying and enjoy the season.

When I was an intern w/strength and conditioning, I served as a personal trainer and one of my players was a Parade All-American that lazy, weak and over-rated. He weighed ,at that time, a huge 300+. What a waste. 'Stars' are for ink filled opinion pages. Sweat is for the field of battle. That is why camps are so big. When I was recruited there were NO camps.Coaches want to see the 'GOODS' up close and personal.

I agree injuries are part of the game but there are ways to minimize them. As for Nall, he is NOWHERE near the best in OL coaches. Eddie Gran is the best 'line' coach we have.(You figure that out.) :au:

Are you implying Gran makes the line look better than they are with the RBs? If so, I see your point, but still disagree somewhat. The pass protection has been pretty good in 04 and 05. 03 wasn't that great, but its hard for 5 to block 8.

eleven sacks

go figure?

Go figure this:

You can post the same link twice if you think that reinforces your position, it's still just an opinion. Most of that article isn't even about AU, and has but one small blurb about our defense....

My opinion?! Are you serious? You probably didn't even go to the game vs. Wisconsin, I did. "My opinion" blew us off the field. They were bigger and stronger. It showed and we lost. No opinion on the scoreboard, just facts. No opinion on the stat sheets, just facts, bub.

"CTT has done a hell of a job and wins arent the only thing that matters IMO...."

If you truly feel this way, then why do we play the game? :blink: I'll tell you why we play: We play to win, not just to "feel" good about who we are and what's going on outside the lines.

So then who would you like to coach us? :homer:

I am 100% behind CTT. He has done a good job. If he left, no one of note would want the job. I am just saying that when, if, we string together 3-straight 10+ win seasons, it will show that we are where we need to be. Now with the 12 game season, it should be easy with some of the patsy's we play, so maybe I need to change that to 3-straight 11 win seasons?!

eleven sacks

go figure?

Go figure this:

My opinion?! Are you serious? You probably didn't even go to the game vs. Wisconsin, I did. "My opinion" blew us off the field. They were bigger and stronger. It showed and we lost. No opinion on the scoreboard, just facts. No opinion on the stat sheets, just facts, bub.

Ok, ONE game, we suck, our entire defense criticized as undersized, and we are forever destined for football mediocrity. Oh come now.... Your opinion, possibly based on and concurring with his has been noted. As has everyone else's in this thread. No I wasn't there, but it doesn't invalidate mine or anyone else's opinion. Including yours. I watched plenty of games last year, and had more problems with our defensive implementation, than with personnel. You have your opinion, I have mine. Next time I am required to have been somewhere to hold an opinion on it's content, I'll contact you first. <_<

Now back to our previously scheduled show, bub. :au:

Go tell Travis Williams he's small. Try the Predator too while you're at it. I bet they'd disagree.

Sto is right - the D implementation is what hurt our D last year, not the personnel. The 05 D contained many from the 04 team, we shouldn't have experienced as much of a dropoff.

eleven sacks

go figure?

Go figure this:

Well I was at that game and it was clearly evident to me that we werent prepared and as Stoic-one put it the problem seemed more with our defensive implemtation and the fact that our players looked like they could have cared less about playing in that bowl game. Not because we were "undersized"....and even though I know you werent addressing me in this post...since when does it matter if you were at the game or not...stoic probably had a better view from his couch.

Are you implying Gran makes the line look better than they are with the RBs? If so, I see your point, but still disagree somewhat. The pass protection has been pretty good in 04 and 05. 03 wasn't that great, but its hard for 5 to block 8.

You are right on the money. Watch game film and focus on our o-line by position and our technique issues are not hard to miss. As for the pass blocking, just remember the threat of a run and play action cover a multitude of sins.

This may sound a bit like a conspiracy theory buy in my opinion the Wisconsin game was in the bag before it was ever played.I listen to all the pregame show and all I remember hearing was from CTT mouth was it's a gift(the bowl) and the guys should have fun.....this game has no outcome on our season ect....this was the Wisconsin coaches last game....and personally I think this was a "let him have a win on us" type thing.because it didn't effect us.Except pride.

This may sound a bit like a conspiracy theory buy in my opinion the Wisconsin game was in the bag before it was ever played.I listen to all the pregame show and all I remember hearing was from CTT mouth was it's a gift(the bowl) and the guys should have fun.....this game has no outcome on our season ect....this was the Wisconsin coaches last game....and personally I think this was a "let him have a win on us" type thing.because it didn't effect us.Except pride.

I find it hard to believe we would give one away, but I think we may look back on the bowl game as a bit of a blessing in the long run. If we had to be embarrased, it couldn't have come at a better time. The guys got to spend the entire summer with that game sticking in their craw. If you are only as good as your last game, this group will come out with something to prove.

Everybody that was involved with the 2004 season said that if 2003 hadn't turned out like it did, they never would have gone undefeated. The troubles that they fought through got their heads right for 2004. Hopefully, the bowl game last year will have the same effect on this team.

I don't understand this post at all. Are we suppose to pack it in and call it a season before we play the first game? Whats the deal? It seems like you bought the "can't handle the hype" crap. If you don't have speed on defense in the sec you will not win. Size does matter but you offset size with speed. We will have a totally different defensive scheme with alot more blitzes under Mushcamp. I just hope your not too scared to watch

Auburn win this year.

Tygerman, one line in some ESPN article doesn't prove anything. It was one game. That doesn't make a trend. Personally I think the Wisconsin game was more a function of basking too long in the glory of 11 sacks and reading that they were the best team in the SEC leading up to the bowl. But you know what they say about opinions.

Tygerman, one line in some ESPN article doesn't prove anything. It was one game. That doesn't make a trend. Personally I think the Wisconsin game was more a function of basking too long in the glory of 11 sacks and reading that they were the best team in the SEC leading up to the bowl. But you know what they say about opinions.

Yes, I know what they say about opinions. Thanks for proving that point with your post.

Yes, I know what they say about opinions. Thanks for proving that point with your post.

Look, I don't know what your problem is, but if it doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to solve it for you as far as this board is concerned. My post wasn't snide, but that didn't stop you from acting like the south end of a north-bound mule.

You either need to develop thicker skin to handle it when people disagree with you, post better, or get lost.

Is that point getting through?

1) CTT- Obviously a good coach and recruiter. A Godly man, it would seem, and strong on discipline. He has brought the level of play at Auburn up. There are no "but's" or "however's" here. I have always said that when CTT reaches double-digit wins for the third straight year, Auburn will be on top and things will finally be going our way. We haven't done it yet. No "if and but's" about one game here or there, when I see three straight 10+wins seasons from this program, I will know we have arrived. Until then, I am always nervous about games such as Washington State and the season in general.

2) Our defense is scary. I don't mean they stike fear in anyone, I mean that I am scared about it. Yes we have a good pass rusher, a good linebacker, and a good DB, but I mean do they really scare anyone? I think not. Speed, speed, speed, is all you hear about this bunch. Wisconsin ran all over that speed last January. It doesn't matter how fast you are on Defense, if you can't get through a block. We are also very small defensively. Again, look at what the Badgers did to us. They lined up and ran over us at will.

3) What is the deal with the Offensive line? Every year CTT has been here,there are a rash of injuries, yet we have no replacements. The coaches are always moving one guy here and there: "He is a #2 right guard, but he can play left tackle" etc. That's great, but why not recruit enough linement to cover yourself. Why is the o-line always a man short in two or three areas?

I am sure some of you will say don't worry, but these are legit concerns. Washington State is loaded and ready and I am not sure we are. I feel, after reading here and talking to others, that we are WAY over- confident about this opening game. A loss here, and you can pack it in for the year and get ready for a trip to Shreport or Memphis.

I guess if you haven't gotten in on CTT side then you may never. He has done tons to turn things around at Auburn. Things are a lot different than when tate tot was here. We are in the top rankings of the preseason, even with the beat down Wisky gave us (I was at the game, the team was not in the game at all). CTT is a great man...the discipline alone he has brought is worth it.

Our defense will be scary for everyone we play. They are going to be great. One article (no time to back track to look it up) but it said our DL has so much depth, the first team OL was getting put thru it, to make them tougher. They need not have the luxury of having that depth like D, but IMO it is more important for the DL to rotate in 4 to 6 guys. Our OL has experience, all have played/started. Cope, the C, started most games, when he didn't, bama, Palmer, did and look what our O did to them!!! Grubbs and Duckworth have been starting for about 2 years. King Dunlap and Palmer neither have a lot of experience but have been able to rotate in enough the past 2 years we will not see any drop off. I believe Coach Hall even said he thinks this could be the best OL he has had at AU. :blink:

We are going to be good. Count on it!! I am not saying take WSU lightly....Months ago I said they would be a tough team. They are poised to get back into the mix in the Pac 10. They have a lot of talent returning, particularly in skill positions. they will be dangerous. We will have to come out fired up and firing on all cylinders!!! WAR EAGLE

Football is played by young men. Even if they are of good character and well prepared, there will be good days and bad days. If you ever played a sport, I'm sure you had days like Momma told you would come. :no: You survive to play another day. :)

We only have so many scholarships to offer to offensive linemen. It is a position that takes intelligence, grueling work, and a team spirit. Our line is great and Hugh Nall is the best O-Line coach around. :cheer:

Calm down! Repeat after me...

I believe this is a practical world....

WDE!

• 1 month later...

AUtygerman34, I totally agree with what you said despite numerous disagreements. Yes, we do run short of Offensive Linemen quite often OR they haven't developed the ones they have. Otherwise, they wouldn't be shifting ones they have around. Tubs said long ago that they prefer to recruit athletes and make them into either O line or D line. In other words, develop them. That's ok but I would prefer to recruit a pure O linemen and a pure D linemen when we can. Trouble is, I don;'t know how often we are able to do that since linemen are harder to sign than RB's and QB's according to the experts.

Yes, we do seem to hold our breath when our "D" takes the field of late. When they are playing a predominant running team and a nationally recognized team they seem to fall apart. Those teams we praised the D play on were minor compared to LSU and Ark. We were exposed as weak on D OR our schemes and preparation or lack thereof was exposed. In any event, what you said about OUR fearing our defense is TRUE! Others sure don't!!!! We are unusually small in the interior line and they are being manhandled by the opponents O line. The DB's are having to make the plays that the D line and LB's are supposed to make as well as cover pass routes. Can't be done all the time!

Our kicking game has been superb as well as that of our special teams for the most part.

Our wide receivers are not up to par for whatever reason. CT seems to be getting his wheels under him again if he can remain healthy, but Rodriguez, Smith and others have been erratic. We have to have go to receivers and we have none right now and 1/2 the season is over. Coaching? Talent?

This team may have missed Sears and Blackman more than people thought and I am certain that the absence of Cope was monumental despite what Tubs said. (why advertise a weakness before Florida)

Losing Pitts and having Wilhite injured didn't help either and losing Cole Bennett was a huge blow. Next comes a banged up Cox and Irons. All these factors have played together to render the team inconsistent and unpredictable. We'll have to live with it and hope they get better and get it together. As for Muschamp,Tubs will review him at the end of the season and pretenders will be unmasked and dealt with.

They weren't mentally prepared for the Wisconsin game. That' all there was to it.

No truer words have been spoken...I agree 100% they were having to good a time in Orlando and were not ready for that game whatsoever!

That falls squarely in the shoulders of the coaches.

Archived