Some Good National Publicity On Bham...

otterinbham

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/22/a...n.ap/index.html

I don't watch American Idol, but I'm not surprised that so many winners have come from here. After all the music scene in Birmingham could stand toe to toe with other, better publicized markets.

There is some great talent in Birmingham. The local bands that play City Stages is better than a lot of the local acts that played Jazzfest in New Orleans, IMO.

Pell City is getting in on it, too. Unfortunately I fear the screeching coming out of the Pell City Civic Center will more resemble a sick, calving heifer stuck in a high voltage electric fence.

Pell City Idol contest will benefit Toys for Children

PELL CITY - The Pell City Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a Pell City's Idol competition in September and October to raise money for Toys for Children.

The competition will be styled like "American Idol," right down to the judges made famous on the Fox Network television show.

Parks and Recreation Director Tim Sweezey will depict judge Simon Cowell. Civic center coordinator Nancy Crow will depict Paula Abdul, and department employee Reggie Ford will depict Randy Jackson.

Pell City Mayor Adam Stocks will portray the show's host, Ryan Seacrest.

Competition will be held in two categories, for ages 13-19, and ages 20-25.

The first auditions will be at 6 p.m. Sept. 21 at the Pell City Civic Center. Additional rounds of competition are scheduled for Sept. 28 and Oct. 5, with the finals to be held Oct. 12.

The entry fee is $10 and admission to watch the performances is $2.

The event is one of several fund raisers this year for Toys for Children. Sweezey said that last year his department raised $15,000 and provided Christmas gifts to more than 500 children in low-income families or displaced by a fire or some other emergency.

Lank to Pell City idol

Archived