Four SNL veterans to be fired

It's about time. That show hasn't been funny since the early-to-mid 90's.

WHAT's going on be hind the scenes at "Saturday Night Live" this month may be more dramatic than any thing you'll see on the two prime-time shows starting this fall based on the famed late-night comedy.

Four cast members are about to be fired - they know who they are, but the public doesn't.

Two others - including the undisputed star of "SNL," Tina Fey - are gone.

Auditions are about to begin for the signature spot on the show, anchor of the snarky "Weekend Update."

And because there will be two new shows that use "SNL" as their back drop - Aaron Sorkin's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and Fey's "30 Rock" - the late-night comedy show will be attracting more attention than it has in years.

Lorne Michaels, the show's boss and guiding personality for nearly 30 years - and the producer of "30 Rock" - has less than six weeks to get it all done.

"The history of 'SNL' has been that people step up," Michaels told the Post yesterday. "It's just been that way, at least so far. I think there are people there now who are going to be brilliant."

The man who has shared the headwriter's job with Fey for years, Seth Myers, is expected to become the show's sole head writer.

And Fey's second bannana on "Weekend Update," Amy Poehler, is also expected to be back, even as Rachel Dratch leaves to work on "30 Rock" full time.

"It's always hard when you're giving up good people," he says. The show has motored over rough road - most memorably in 1980 and 1995, when the show underwent wholesale cast changes and which, by no coincidence, were the two worst-received seasons ever.

"After about four years . . . there's a staleness that comes over the show," Michaels says.

This will be one of the few seasons that he doesn't bring in at least one new cast member. Knowing that budget cuts were looming for this fall, Michaels last year hired an exceptionally large cast - so that when the ax fell, he would already have a fresh, experienced cast ready to go.

"I think everything that was strong last season is back," he says. Among those are "SNL" vet Darrell Hammond and white-hot newbie Andy Samburg.

"For me, the most important thing is keeping the show on the air," he says.

Link

Yeah, I quit watching it along time ago. Like you said, it has been horrible for a long time now. I actually enjoy MAD TV more. I am just glad Adult Swim came along when it did.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I think there are a couple of posters on here that should go to the auditions.

I think there are a couple of posters here that should be fired.

You gonna take that off TM Wes?

I've been thinking about it.

I'll agree, it hasn't been too funny for quite some time but you've got to admit, Will Ferrell was a comedic genius (that Robert Goulet bit was a riot) on that show and his time there saw some of the funniest material since the likes of Chris Farley. The show has gone steadily downhill since he left.

Ahhhhh....An unemployment check and all day long in the recliner. <_<

SIGN ME UP ! ! ! :homer:

SNL has not been funny in years.

I like some of the Mad-TV stuff. Some of it is SSSOOO over the top I just cannot see how is funny to anyone. I love almost all of Adult Swim too. The PeeWee reruns are a surefire 'get the remote' moment though. Futurama and Family Guy rock. Robot Chicken is BEYOND funny...

While SNL has struggled for years...I cant BELIEVE that of all people they fired, Tina Fey was one of them. She was the only person worth watching on that show.

Nah, she was too preachy to be funny. Horatio Sands is the only relatively funny one left, and he was only really funny in skits he did with Jimmy Fallon.

Oh, and Bottomfeeder would make a great SNL character.

Guest Tigrinum Major

While SNL has struggled for years...I cant BELIEVE that of all people they fired, Tina Fey was one of them. She was the only person worth watching on that show.

Reading comprehension is fundamental.

Four cast members are about to be fired - they know who they are, but the public doesn't.

Two others - including the undisputed star of "SNL," Tina Fey - are gone.

The use of the word "others" indicate that she is leaving "in addition to" the four that were fired.

Too much birthday partying last night?

That doesnt mean she wasnt fired...that just means that she wasnt fired with this batch of 4.

How's this:

I can't BELIEVE the circumstances at SNL were such that Tina Fey either no longer feels SNL is a good career path for her, or the executives at SNL feel that Tina Fey is no longer qualified to be a part of the cast.

That doesnt mean she wasnt fired...that just means that she wasnt fired with this batch of 4.

How's this:

I can't BELIEVE the circumstances at SNL were such that Tina Fey either no longer feels SNL is a good career path for her, or the executives at SNL feel that Tina Fey is no longer qualified to be a part of the cast.

DUH! She is on a new show CREATED by Lorne Michaels. He is making sure that his NEW show has the best star. I doubt there was any firing going on. The new show will be nothing more than liberal drivel with Fey and Dipstick (Alec Baldbrain) leading the way.

Tina Fey wasn't fired.

I hope they fire the utter HELL out of the following:

Will Forte -- Fire him and hit him in the face with a shovel. And a brick. And a hammer.

Kenan Thompson -- Fire him and knock his teeth out with a screwdriver

Fred Armisen -- Fire him and tape 90 sticks of lit dynamite to his buttocks.

Finesse Mitchell -- Fire him and drop a six-ton anvil on his head

Chris Parnell -- Fire him, cut his body up into six pieces, run them through a wood chipper, and then use a steamroller to smear up the bloody bits. Then pour gasoline on the smear and set it on fire.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Tina Fey wasn't fired.

Will Forte -- Fire him and hit him in the face with a shovel. And a brick. And a hammer.

Chris Parnell -- Fire him, cut his body up into six pieces, run them through a wood chipper, and then use a steamroller to smear up the bloody bits. Then pour gasoline on the smear and set it on fire.

That's five. You're over the limit.

Flog yourself for that one.

Tina Fey wasn't fired.

That's five. You're over the limit.

Flog yourself for that one.

Whack Will Forte and Fred Armisen simultaneously.

I'll take my penalty from the game warden for being over the limit.

No offense, but the current state of SNL is sad. MADTV is absolutely horrible. The jokes are based on a 9 year olds sense of humor and I have witnessed several people digress into a retarded state from watching it. South Park is the only venue left on T.V. that is truly funny, since Mr. Chapelle had to get all crazy.

Archived