Heisman Trophy candidate Kenny Irons in the backfield

DKW 86

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6082201076.html

With Heisman Trophy candidate Kenny Irons in the backfield and several star players on the defense, Auburn figures to contend for the SEC championship this year.

Tigers Dealing With Heightened Expectations, Scrutiny

By Melanie Ho ?

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 23, 2006; Page E03

Whenever defensive end Quentin Groves enters the team meeting room, he is reminded once again what Auburn has accomplished this year -- or, more importantly, what it hasn't.

The morning newspapers might have, yet again, authoritatively reported on Auburn's rise to the top in yet another set of preseason rankings. There might be a small item highlighting the potential of, say, freshmen such as linebacker Craig Stevens or defensive back Zac Etheridge or a column on senior running back Kenny Irons's chances to win the Heisman Trophy.

Today: No. 8 Auburn

2005 record: 9-3, lost to Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl.

Returning starters: 11 (5 offense, 6 defense).

Top players: RB Kenny Irons, QB Brandon Cox, LB Will Herring.

Potential roadblock: Sept. 28 at South Carolina.

Why they'll play in a BCS bowl: It's doubtful the Tigers will go undefeated, but if the offensive line enables Irons to have the season he should and if the undersized defense can compensate with intelligence and quickness, Auburn can play with anyone.

Why they'll play in Boise on Dec. 31: Auburn stumbles early, and without a break in its 12-game schedule, there is no time to regroup.

But at the same time, Groves and his teammates choose not to believe the kind words.

"Our coaches tell us you can't buy into the hype," Groves said. "He brings us all the newspaper clippings about how great we're going to be and then he shows us our film to tell us how great we're not."

The clippings serve as reminders of high expectations, but Groves said the words are read, then tossed on the floor in favor of both the subtle and blatant mistakes made that day in practice.

"It's kind of like they build us up, tear us down, only to build us back up again," Groves said.

This year, much of Auburn's offense will be built around Irons. After being used as a backup at South Carolina, Irons transferred to Auburn in January 2004 and, in his first season with the Tigers last year, rushed for 1,293 yards and 13 touchdowns. He earned all-Southeastern Conference honors, and this year, his name has been mentioned for even bigger awards.

Irons's success is directly correlated with Auburn's ability to win.

"I'm looking for big things from Kenny," Coach Tommy Tuberville said during the SEC media day last month. "We're a running team. We talk about quarterbacks and receivers. Our team is built on playing defense and running the football. Kenny has been a blessing for us to pick up running where Ronnie [brown] and Carnell [Williams] left off."

Tuberville, who described Irons as a Deuce McAllister type of running back, said Irons will be helped by sophomore Brad Lester, senior Tre Smith and junior Carl Stewart, his backfield mates. But Auburn's success on offense mostly will depend on Irons and junior quarterback Brandon Cox given the Tigers' inexperienced receiving corps.

Wide receiver Courtney Taylor feels that Cox is ready to have a big year.

"He's been huge; he's just stepped up big-time for us," Taylor said. "I just like the way he's taken command of the huddle."

Man, I love this coaching staff.

"Our coaches tell us you can't buy into the hype," Groves said. "He brings us all the newspaper clippings about how great we're going to be and then he shows us our film to tell us how great we're not."

The clippings serve as reminders of high expectations, but Groves said the words are read, then tossed on the floor in favor of both the subtle and blatant mistakes made that day in practice.

"It's kind of like they build us up, tear us down, only to build us back up again," Groves said.

Who is they in that last sentence here, the sports writers or the coaches?

Man, I love this coaching staff.

Who is they in that last sentence here, the sports writers or the coaches?

I guess it could be applied to either but in this context I believe he is talking about the coaches.

:usc: ??? :blink:

Ms. Ho must've been smoking crack when she wrote this article and obviously doesn't fully understand SEC football. If she'd said LSU she'd have been right on the money. I'm not saying other SEC games won't potentially be tough......but South Carolina? Please.

Ms. Ho must've been smoking crack when she wrote this article and obviously doesn't fully understand SEC football. If she'd said LSU she'd have been right on the money. I'm not saying other SEC games won't potentially be tough......but South Carolina? Please.

I am with you on this one. I don't understand the love SC is getting from everybody. Yes it is the ole ball coach, yes they will not be bad, but NO they are not going to play a large part in deciding the East IMO.

I am with you on this one. I don't understand the love SC is getting from everybody. Yes it is the ole ball coach, yes they will not be bad, but NO they are not going to play a large part in deciding the East IMO.

The guy on Sporting News Radio last night said that SC returns 1 defensive starter.

For real. It's along the same lines as Notre Dame and Ohio State this year. I mean, what the hell????

The guy on Sporting News Radio last night said that SC returns 1 defensive starter.

Only 1? :o

Returning defensive starters: 3
:o

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8888771/?page=25

For real. It's along the same lines as Notre Dame and Ohio State this year. I mean, what the hell????

Ohio State lost 9 of their defensive starters from last year. Notre Dame has a leaky defense that would have trouble against UAT's offense, AND they lost their best WR. USC wont be that great, but I do see her point. Don't believe for one second that Spurier wont be showing that tape of last years blunder every day prior to the Thursday night game. We need to be really careful.

Only 1? :o

Returning defensive starters: 3
:o

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8888771/?page=25

Sporting News didn't check its facts? Well color me embarassed to rely on their info.

Archived