Auburn vs Bama defense

vatz22au

So if you dont think starting in OUR territory against a tired defense matters, you need to either stop using drugs...or look into it.

What does old stats and blah, blah, blah have to do with anything. bama needs to worry about how to win the game rather than stats from the Auburnn games. That is unless you get your jollies from old stats :poke:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saniflush...do you not think its easier to score if you start from midfield as opposed to starting on your own 20?

OK...Twice again for the learning impaired.

2005 UAT gave us the ball in good field position. We capitalized on it against what supposedly was the best defense you have had in years.

2004 we gave you the ball in great field position and you got a whole six points.

You keep saying that your offense in 2005 put your defense in a position where they could not be successful. I say your defense folded under the pressure where as ours accepted the challenge in 2004 and kept you out of the endzone.

Still history....

Hawaii is getting ready to stomp a mudhole in your backside and then walk it dry.

OK...Twice again for the learning impaired.

2005 UAT gave us the ball in good field position. We capitalized on it against what supposedly was the best defense you have had in years.

2004 we gave you the ball in great field position and you got a whole six points.

You keep saying that your offense in 2005 put your defense in a position where they could not be successful. I say your defense folded under the pressure where as ours accepted the challenge in 2004 and kept you out of the endzone.

Still history....

Hawaii is getting ready to stomp a mudhole in your backside and then walk it dry.

"Accepted the challenge" Give me a break. They accepted the challenge of stopping a bunch of third teamers and walk ons.

You still continue to compare our 04 offense to YOUR 04 offense. And its not a fair comparison. Just to illustrate, our starting QB, RB, and TE for that game are no longer on the team...and not because their eligibility ran out.

Let me ask you this. How many times would the AUBURN defense have stopped the 04 offense if they kept getting the ball at midfield?

Or how about this for absurdity...alabama led at the half 3-0 in 04...does that mean our offense was better? or your defense sucked? no.

You used field position as an excuse for the drumming that you took last year. All I'm saying is that if UAT was a legitimate top ten team then that is no excuse. Why didn't your defense step up and save the day?

CLICK CLACK

I Think You Hear U of H Coming

"Accepted the challenge" Give me a break. They accepted the challenge of stopping a bunch of third teamers and walk ons.

Just as UAT accepted the challenge to stop a 4th string freshman RB in Trey Smith. What was that saying about glass houses?

Guest Tigrinum Major
Ok, I'll bite. What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?

Negative yards in the first half? 5 possessions to get a first down?

Put down the crack pipe.

This is fun!

<bunch of stats>

So after 5 drives, you did have positive yards...10. You were negative through the first Q, and didnt have more than 4 plays on any drive until your last of the half.

<Some more stats>

You had ONE TD drive that went 80 yards to open the second half. The other two TDs came from when your team started at midfield. I think that more than proves my point.

You are the one blaming your offense for giving us the ball deep in your own territory. I simply pointed out that our offense did the same thing the year before and our stupendous defense didn't curl up in in the fetal position and give up major points.

Our offense was terrible in 2004. So again, if you think your offense was just as bad as ours, then you have a valid argument...otherwise, you do not.

My bad, I thought we were talking about 2005. I was confused, it happens, I was wrong.

Feel free to pick the crack pipe back up and continue your habit.

You used field position as an excuse for the drumming that you took last year. All I'm saying is that if UAT was a legitimate top ten team then that is no excuse. Why didn't your defense step up and save the day?

Now you're just fencing. Why wont you answer the question?

1. Do you think AU's offense in 04 was as bad as bamas?

2. if not...do you think AU's defense could consistently stop AUs O given the ball at midfield or better...and tired.

Just as UAT accepted the challenge to stop a 4th string freshman RB in Trey Smith. What was that saying about glass houses?

Im so sick of this argument. Its weak and doesnt hold water. Starting a team with a 3rd string QB, 4th string RB, and 4th string TE (all of whom are no longer good enough to play on the team)...is not the same as starting a 1st string QB and a freshman RB who was good enough to keep a scholarship and play for 4 years.

2. if not...do you think AU's defense could consistently stop AUs O given the ball at midfield or better...and tired.

The question is unanswerable. See, in the modern day world of living in reality Auburn's 04 offense never played Auburns' 04 defense. What did happen is Auburn's 04 offense and defense played bama's 04 offense and defense. Subsequently what happened is Alabama's players rolled over with their legs in the air like one of M. Prices' strippers. Just like in 05. What will the excuse be in 06?

He doesnt have to answer the question you are totally missing his point....he was never comparing offenses he was saying that our offense of 2004 put our defense in a similar spot that yours did in 2005. Yet your team came up with what 6 points. If your defense was as good as it was supposed to be it should never have given up 3 TDs were they tired on the first series?

But I will answer your questions:

1. Um No...Because we still won the game in 2004, and our offense made adjustments.

2. I certainly know are O line wouldnt have given up 5 sacks in the first quarter...would they have held them to no points....how the hell should I know we dont play the games against each other...I do know this we won both games!!! :poke:

Im so sick of this argument. Its weak and doesnt hold water. Starting a team with a 3rd string QB, 4th string RB, and 4th string TE (all of whom are no longer good enough to play on the team)...is not the same as starting a 1st string QB and a freshman RB who was good enough to keep a scholarship and play for 4 years.

Who cares if he kept his scholarship, has he played? What about the back-up FB who started? We had no 1st string QB that year, it was a toss-up as to who played.

You're QB was good enough to be on the team, he just wised up and played a sport that had a chance to beat :au: . You'll have to give me names on the TEs and RBs, reeks of embellishment.

Sorry, but the argument holds. You know that if Terry Grant was to come in and lead UAT to victory, you'd be chanting the same song...

It's fun to discuss what-if's and statistics. But statistics never won a game. Here are the facts--the only facts that matter :):)

2000 9 - 0 AU

2001 7-31 uat

2002 17-7 AU

2003 28-23 AU

2004 21-13 AU

2005 28-18 AU

2006 :thumbsup:

I think the problem is coaching. In the past 3 Iron Bowls Kines' defense has averaged giving up 25 points per game to AU. What really stands out the most to me is that there have been 49 points scored against Kines' defense in 4 consecutive quarters, the last 2 of 04 and the first 2 of 05. To me this is a coaching mismatch between Kines and Borges. If it was just defensive genius then Au would have been held to an offensive output similar to Tenn or ole miss type points. I think yes AU has many weapons on offense but it is more coaching and scheming differences between Borges and Kines than anything else. What other team has scored 49 points against Kines in the past 2 seasons. There again AU has had the #1 offense in the SEC the past 2 seasons.

I'll tell you what's weak: you bammie fans that keep referring to that guy as the "3rd string QB." He may have started the season at the 3rd place slot, but he was elevated to the starting job and played in about 8-9 games as the starter if I remember correctly -- many more than your weak-link "1st stinger." So, by the time the IB rolled around, it's really lame of you people to keep referring to him as a 3rd stringer. Actually, it's quite insulting. No wonder the poor boy chose baseball over football. You bammies just don't appreciate kids who give their all to play for your school. :no: For Shame!

I'll tell you what's weak: you bammie fans that keep referring to that guy as the "3rd string QB." He may have started the season at the 3rd place slot, but he was elevated to the starting job and played in about 8-9 games as the starter if I remember correctly -- many more than your weak-link "1st stinger." So, by the time the IB rolled around, it's really lame of you people to keep referring to him as a 3rd stringer. Actually, it's quite insulting. No wonder the poor boy chose baseball over football. You bammies just don't appreciate kids who give their all to play for your school. no.gif For Shame!

I consider 3rd string a guy who started the season behind two others on the depth chart...and a guy who wouldnt have played had either of two ahead of him been healthy.

You can have 8-9 starts and still suck. As evidenced by the fact that he is no longer on the team. Just because he started 8-9 games doesnt mean he still isnt a liability (hello ben leard)

I'll tell you what's weak: you bammie fans that keep referring to that guy as the "3rd string QB." He may have started the season at the 3rd place slot, but he was elevated to the starting job and played in about 8-9 games as the starter if I remember correctly -- many more than your weak-link "1st stinger." So, by the time the IB rolled around, it's really lame of you people to keep referring to him as a 3rd stringer. Actually, it's quite insulting. No wonder the poor boy chose baseball over football. You bammies just don't appreciate kids who give their all to play for your school. no.gif For Shame!

I consider 3rd string a guy who started the season behind two others on the depth chart...and a guy who wouldnt have played had either of two ahead of him been healthy.

You can have 8-9 starts and still suck. As evidenced by the fact that he is no longer on the team. Just because he started 8-9 games doesnt mean he still isnt a liability (hello ben leard)

The point is, he spent practically the whole season as the #1 QB. He started more game than anyone else, and he wasn't the bench warmer 11 games into the season like you try to make him out to be. Face facts, the "3rd string QB" defense fails as badly as your#1 defense did during the first 11 minutes of the last IB. Also, if/when you finally do get around to saying hello to Ben Leard, ask him what it's like to be voted 1st team All-SEC QB your senior year.

Spencer had 5 whole starts under his belt and 84 pass attempts.

Again, does it matter? He sucked. He was awful. And thats why he was 3rd string on a PROBATION team. So I dont understand your point.

If i went out there right now and played five games and got my ass handed to me 5 times (3 of those games i had 11, 15, and 9 pass attempts) does that mean im supposed to have a good game against AU?

If AU had to start their 2nd string this year (a team not on probation)...theyd lose 4 games. Yet you dont think having to start your 3rd string ...a guy who isnt good enough to be on the scout team...is not a liability?

I mean if your theory worked "you play 5 games and you are now good because of experience"...why wasnt he on the team the next year?

..why wasnt he on the team the next year?

You tell us. I contend that all the homerism coming down on him made him realize that it was a no win situation being between Baby Brodie and Laura Ingles Wilder.

It's fun to discuss what-if's and statistics. But statistics never won a game. Here are the facts--the only facts that matter :):)

2000 9 - 0 AU

2001 7-31 uat

2002 17-7 AU

2003 28-23 AU

2004 21-13 AU

2005 28-18 AU

2006 :thumbsup:

Amen Brother!!!

But nobody ever accused BG of knowing any statistics that really matter

Maybe it's just me but I find it impossible to combine the words "dominate" & "defense" in the same sentence when talking about a unit that gives up 21 straight points in the first 10 minutes of a huge rivalry game at the end of the season. Stats are sometimes misleading -- when you play a schedule full of cream-puffs, your defense is always going to post great looking stats.

Well if you consider that your offense got to start at midfield or better 5 straight times...you might see why they had so much sucess. The offense put the defense in a TERRIBLE situation.

WRONG! The defense [AU's that is] is what put the offense [uA's] in the TERRIBLE situations.

Ben Leard was the starting QB for AU in 2000 when we won the west division.

Ok, I'll bite. What in the name of all that is holy are you talking about?

Negative yards in the first half? 5 possessions to get a first down?

Put down the crack pipe.

This is fun!

1st Posession:

Carnell Williams (AUB) rushed up the middle for -2 yards

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the left side.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the left side.

Punt (yard total -2)

2nd :

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass left side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for -6 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass left side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for -3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass right side complete to Carnell Williams (AUB) for 8 yards.

Punt (yard total -3)

3rd:

Carnell Williams (AUB) rushed right side for 5 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass incomplete to the right side.

Jason Campbell (AUB) sacked for a loss of 6 yards.

Punt (yard total -4)

4th:

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for 7 yards

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for 5 yards.

Ronnie Brown (AUB) rushed left side for no gain.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass across the middle intercepted by Anthony Madison (ALA). Returned for 19 yards.

(yard total 8)

5th

Jason Campbell (AUB) rushed left side for 4 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass right side complete to Ronnie Brown (AUB) for 3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) rushed up the middle for 3 yards.

Jason Campbell (AUB) pass across the middle complete to Cooper Wallace (AUB) for 11 yards. (then fumbled)

(yard total 18)

So after 5 drives, you did have positive yards...10. You were negative through the first Q, and didnt have more than 4 plays on any drive until your last of the half.

Your 1st half drive chart went:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Int

Fumble

Missed FG

And except for the opening kickoff of the 2nd half...your starting field positions were:

42 yd line

48 yd line

17 yd line

49 yd line

You had ONE TD drive that went 80 yards to open the second half. The other two TDs came from when your team started at midfield. I think that more than proves my point.

You are the one blaming your offense for giving us the ball deep in your own territory. I simply pointed out that our offense did the same thing the year before and our stupendous defense didn't curl up in in the fetal position and give up major points.

Our offense was terrible in 2004. So again, if you think your offense was just as bad as ours, then you have a valid argument...otherwise, you do not.

Sorry to get into this so late but remember beginning late in the first half AU began handling UA as if UA was a high school team ... AU's offense was slow starting in the 2004 game.

1. AU's last possession of the 1st half began at the 17 yd line and missed a FG attempt from the 5 as time expired in the 1st half [ a 78 yard drive with 4 first downs]

2. AU took possession of the ball on the 20 yard line to open the 2nd half and went 80 yards to score a TD [80 yds with 3 first downs]

3. AU's next possession (after punt by UA) from own 42 yd line ... took the ball down for a TD [58 yards with 4 first downs]

4. Au's next possession after holding UA on loss of downs at the AU 48 ... took the ball for a TD [52 yards with 3 first downs]

5. At this point and having moved the ball at will beginning with the last drove of the first half ... AU with 21 and enought to win went conservative and shut the offense down ... attempting only one more pass during the remainder of the game ... the general feeling was AU could have continued to score but decided to do the conservative thing and sit on a sure victory.

Going back the original point, remember recently when LSU's D was #1 and they lost to us? The same year Bama's D was #1 late in the year when they lost to us as well? Except for number of MNC's, "great D" is Bama's flakiest annual boast. In fact, probably the only line more swiss cheese in the SEC is LSU's "great home field advantage" BS.

Nah...we got:

10-2

Finishing in the top 10

Winning the cotton bowl

beating the crap out of UF

beating UT

beating spurrier

beating nutt

oh and...an awesome defense.

Archived