Hah-why-yer preseason look

DKW 86

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo.../wac/hawaii.htm

Was looking for a story on Glanville and came across this.

While Hawaii was picked fourth in both the WAC media and coaches' poll in late-July, this team has a legitimate shot of being there come November.

However, the schedule wasn't kind to the Warriors' outside chances, with road dates at Boise State and Fresno State. Just about everyone and their dog has those two finishing in first or second in the conference.

Hawaii could return to the days of nine and 10 wins, pulling an upset or two along the way, which was only a few seasons ago, or continue hovering around .500.

Time will tell but not too many teams can entertain like the Warriors. Junior QB Colt Brennan led the nation in total offense a year ago with 371.2 yards per game, and even 400 yards per game seems more plausible than a reach. Heck, 5,000 passing yards isn't even out of the realm of possibility.

Hawaii expects to put up points. If they can potentially average around 40 points per game :o , how can they not be picked to win the conference? There are many issues on defense, that's why

Former NFL coach and colorful commentator Jerry Glanville is back for a second go-around as defensive coordinator. While his defense made strides last season, it still allowed 438 yards per outing and gave up more points than just about any program in the nation.

The good news is that the NCAA granted appeals to four key players, allowing each an extra season of eligibility and, for the first time in a few years, there's a little depth on the defense. The offense has nine starters back and enough wide receivers to literally staff two or three other programs in the conference.

As for Hawaii's ceiling this year, it's a matter of what Glanville's defense is capable of. Either way, it's hard not envisioning Hawaii back in a bowl game come season's end. Last season was the first time since 2001 the Warriors stayed at home during the bowl season.

NOTES, QUOTES

QB Colt Brennan has been named to the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award watch list. Brennan threw for 4,301 yards last season. :o

KEY EARLY-SEASON GAME: at Boise State, Sept. 23 — The most important game of the season for Hawaii comes early, with a voyage to four-time defending conference champion Boise State. The Warriors need to score early in this one, as even with their potent offense, this isn't the place to play catch-up. An upset would rank with the all-time victories in the program's history.

THE WARRIORS WILL SUCCEED IF: Hawaii's defense finished 110th in the nation in scoring defense, allowing 35.7 points per game. For the Warriors to have any thoughts of earning a bowl invite, that number needs to fall well below 30, even in the high-scoring WAC. This offense is loaded; it's just a matter of holding the opposition around four touchdowns a game.

THE WARRIORS WILL FAIL IF: First off, there's so much talent at wide receiver, not having enough footballs to keep one and all content could become a serious issue. That should be watched closely, as junior QB Colt Brennan truly has six or seven legitimate options. Also, as the case has long been at Hawaii, this team will fail if the defense is among the nation's worse.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It looks like the kids worked hard during the offseason. A lot of them made the 220s. Of course, a handful didn't, but that happens every year. There is a price to pay for the guys who didn't make it, but for the most part, a lot of guys took great pride in their offseason conditioning." — Hawaii coach June Jones

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

HEAD COACH: June Jones, eighth year at Hawaii, 53-37 with the Warriors.

MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER: DE Melila Purcell — At 6-5, 266 pounds, Purcell was a second-team All-WAC selection last season with 34 tackles and two fumble recoveries. However, he was nagged by an elbow injury all autumn and for the Warriors to really challenge for a conference title; the defense needs to dramatically improve and that process starts with Purcell.

BREAKOUT STAR: QB Colt Brennan — Sure, he's already a household name around the WAC and the preseason choice as the conference's top quarterback, but now he's primed to be a breakout star on a national level. Just a junior, Brennan could approach some really ridiculous numbers — say 4,600, maybe 4,700 yards and 40-plus touchdowns — and, even with his games often starting when the East Coast is snoozing, if Hawaii contends for the conference title, his name should arise in the Heisman debate.

NEWCOMER TO WATCH: CB C.J. Hawthorne — A Juco transfer, Hawthorne enrolled at Hawaii this spring and immediately claimed one of the two starting cornerback gigs. He should help second-year defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville revamp a secondary that allowed more than 250 yards per game last season.

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP: Offense — QB Colt Brennan, RB Nate Ilaoa, WR Chad Mock, WR Davone Bess, WR Ryan Grice-Mullen, WR Ross Dickerson, LT Tala Esera, LG Hercules Satele, C Samson Satele, RG John Estes, RT Dane Uperesa.

Defense — DE Melila Purcell, DT Michael Lafaele, DE Ikaika Alama-Francis, OLB C.J. Allen-Jones, MLB Solomon Elimimian, MLB Adam Leonard, OLB John Fonoti, CB A.J. Martinez, CB C.J. Hawthorne, FS Leonard Peters, SS Brad Kalilimoku.

ROSTER REPORT: WR Ian Sample — the son of former Major League baseball player Billy Sample — was recently awarded a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA. Sample missed the majority of two previous seasons, 2002 and 2005, for multiple reasons, including taking care of his mother who has multiple sclerosis. "It's Christmas," Sample told the Honolulu Advocate. "I'm so happy. I can focus on playing instead of worrying about if I'm going to play or what I'm going to do if I don't get the year back. It feels great."

Guest Tigrinum Major

However, the schedule wasn't kind to the Warriors' outside chances, with road dates at Boise State and Fresno State. Just about everyone and their dog has those two finishing in first or second in the conference.

Interesting. No mention of their opener. I guess they consider Boise and Fresno more likely to beat the Warriors on the road.

I have said it before and I say it again....Do two mid-major programs playing really deserve much press? I think not.

I have said it before and I say it again....Do two mid-major programs playing really deserve much press? I think not.

"Book 'em Dano!" B)

Archived