Are these people on crack?

Tiger in Spain

JACKSON, Miss. -- Mississippi isn't home to an NFL team and hasn't had a national college football champion in decades, but on Friday the state was named America's best in the sport.

The honor, a glass football statue, came from USA Football, a nonprofit organization founded in 2002 by the National Football League and the NFL Player's Association.

Some of Mississippi's greatest sports heroes, including Archie Manning, L.C. Greenwood and Hugh Green, were at the state Capitol when Gov. Haley Barbour accepted the award.

While there are few who would dispute that Mississippi produces first-class players, USA Football executive director Scott Hallenbeck knows he'll have to justify the award to fans in Texas, Kansas and Florida.

"That's a fair point. That's why we tried to make sure we set up this great equalizer on a per capita basis," Hallenbeck said. "Mississippi, because it was such a great football state, and you can see the incredible talent that comes out of this state ... is justification in and of itself."

Hallenbeck said USA Football chose Mississippi after a state-by-state analysis measured the per capita percentage of fans interested in collegiate and professional football, number of NFL players who hail from Mississippi and the percentage of lettered high school football players.

"Football is huge part of Mississippi," Barbour said at the news conference held at the state Capitol. "It is part of our spirit. It is our passion."

New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, whose team wrapped up preseason training Friday at Millsaps College in Jackson, said practicing in Mississippi, under the sweltering heat, is "going to help us produce a great football team."

The award comes a day before the Saints play against the Indianapolis Colts at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium near the college campus.

Manning, a former star player for the Saints and whose son Peyton Manning is quarterback for the Colts, didn't say who he would cheer for since it's a preseason game.

"I got to tell you, if it was a regular-season game ... I'm going for the Colts," said Manning. "I've got three favorite teams these days, the Colts, Giants and the Saints."

Manning's other son, Eli, is quarterback for the New York Giants.

Manning said that on a national scale Mississippi isn't considered in the same league as other states, including Pennsylvania, Texas and Florida.

"It's kind of a secret that Mississippians have always known, that we've turned out players here," said Manning. "It all goes back to the coaches. It's not just about turning out NFL players, it's about turning out good people and making men out of boys."

USA Football is a national youth football advocacy group that provides support to youth leagues across the nation. The organization on Friday announced that it will award $500,000 in equipment grants to youth teams across the country.

Benson said that the Saints will match the grant funds.

USA Football gave a $1,000 grant check to the Northwest Rankin Athletic Association on Friday. The amount will now double thanks to the Saints' match.

Link

Well, if you go by the per capita stat they are using, then I can see where they get it. Mississippi does have some good high school football programs for a state that is so spread out population wise. Growing up, I had quite a few friends from summer youth camp that I attended in Eupora, Mississippi. Several of them were All-State and the sorts. Hillcrest, MS puts out alot of college players. I also had sort of a long distance relationship with a girl from Oak Grove, MS. You also have to take into account that they are also one of the few states that play JUCO football. JUCO football is really, really big there. We don't even have JUCO football in the state of Alabama!

However, even though I can see where Mississippi would be in the running for such an honor, I still am surprised it was chosen over Texas.

Jason Campbell is from Mississippi

'state-by-state analysis measured the per capita percentage of fans interested in collegiate and professional football, number of NFL players who hail from Mississippi and the percentage of lettered high school football players.'

I don't know about the validy of "lettered high school football players" but the other criteria, if done objectively, may be valid.

will it be possible to go through a single day during football season without seeing or

hearing about the "Manning family"? Yes Peyton is the best qb in the NFL, Eli isn't,

and Archie has a lot of FF miles.

will it be possible to go through a single day during football season without seeing or

hearing about the "Manning family"? Yes Peyton is the best qb in the NFL, Eli isn't,

and Archie has a lot of FF miles.

:lol: Yeah, Archie puts on the miles during football season now doesn't he. I guess you could say that man is "one proud pop". I wonder how the older brother feels. You wonder if he has to feel like the "loser" of the family. The only male in the family to not play in the NFL.

Archived