I'd rather have Kenny Irons

quietfan

Kevin Scarbinski seems to be on an Auburn roll these days:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

I like Kenneth Darby. I really do.

What's not to like about a back who runs for 1,000 yards, then comes back and does it again, in the SEC, after a sports hernia?

What's not to like about a back who has a chance to do what no Alabama back has ever done by surpassing 1,000 yards a third time?

How good is the senior from Huntsville? He's the second-best running back in the state and the conference. There's only one better.

His name is Kenny Irons.

As good as Darby is, he's never done some of the things Irons did in his debut season at Auburn.

Like run for 100 yards in the Iron Bowl. Or run for 200 yards in an SEC road game, in LSU's Death Valley after dark, no less. Or run up 400 yards in back-to-back SEC road games.

Darby's longest run from scrimmage in his college career is 48 yards. Irons broke off touchdown runs of 68 yards in one game last season and 74 yards in another.

Give me a back who can change a game on one snap.

Darby's best game in 2005 was 147 yards against Utah State. Irons rushed for 179 yards at Georgia, 182 yards at Arkansas, 218 yards at LSU.

Give me a back who produces his best games against the best opponents.

Irons rushed for 1,293 yards in 2005 to lead the SEC. Only five players at Auburn have bettered that number. None of them started the season with one carry for 6 yards in the opener, as Irons did.

Give me a back who won't quit.

How good is Kenny Irons?

He's this good: He's even better than Kenneth Darby.

They're both great backs and you have to admit the OLs of the two teams were a factor, they weren't even comparable last year. But yeah, I'll still take KI.

The Bammerham News would be wise to invest in brick proof windows for Mr Scarbinsky's office.

Truth be known, you couldn't go wrong with either back. Darby has done remarkably well behind a clearly inferior line (particularly last year). But I'd go with Irons partly because I'm an AU :homer: but also because I prefer his running style. He's got the burst to break big gains but he's a very physical runner and will lay the wood to people. Darby is more of a shifty, make people miss type guy overall...which definitely helped him given the O-line problems they had.

I just prefer more physical backs like Irons.

They're both great backs and you have to admit the OLs of the two teams were a factor, they weren't even comparable last year. But yeah, I'll still take KI.

The OL is only going to get you 5-10 yards on most plays. 99.36% of the time, you're going to get hit by a defender or so within that range. After the 5-10yds, you're on your own. Receivers may assist by running routes to spread the defenders, or by blocking. Some backs just have better abilities than others when it comes to busting through the LOS and breaking one out.

I agree with Titan, I prefer a physical back over a juke and jiver like Darby. That is why I like Rudi so much and he only played one year.

BG?BG?BG? Are you there bg?

Seriously, both are good backs. As the writer points out, Kenny is simply better.

I was watching a game on ESPN Classic the other day and saw a back that almost mirrored the style of KI. Ricky Waters. Waters took the ball, saw the hole and hit it going 100 mph. That's what I love about Irons. It just looks like the defense would be going, "Crap, he's not gonna' keep coming in that hard in the 3rd quarter....is he"?????

As most have said, KD and KI have 2 totally different styles. I could live with either one if I just had to.

Seriously, both are good backs. As the writer points out, Kenny is simply better.

Lets wait till the season is over to decide who's better....

Now that makes perfectly good sense. You OK this morning BG?

Why wait? :poke:

There's a debate about who's better? I didn't know. :blink:

Not really a debate. Just hard for certain folks to understand that one player is the returning ALL-SEC rb and one is NOT.

I'll say this for Darby. he seems like a decent young man and he must have marbles the size of bowling balls to run behind that line. Maybe that is why he is as good as he is....you know .....That whole fight or flight thing.

I'll say this for Darby. he seems like a decent young man and he must have marbles the size of bowling balls to run behind that line. Maybe that is why he is as good as he is....you know .....That whole fight or flight thing.

He definately deserves some type of award for running behind that "line". :(

You guys are paying a real disservice to lines everywhere by referring to that mess at Tuscaloosa Junior College as one.

I will concede. If Darby ran behind a real Oline, he would undoubtedly do better. How much better we dont know. The O-line didnt seem to be that bad until it met :au:

I will concede. If Darby ran behind a real Oline, he would undoubtedly do better. How much better we dont know. The O-line didnt seem to be that bad until it met :au:

Did you see the ole miss, ut, lsu, or miss st games?

Did you see the ole miss, ut, lsu, or miss st games?

It couldn't have been that bad, You guys won 3 out of those 4.

Archived