Bama Denied MNC in 1966???????

DKW 86

Didn't Notre Dame win the 66 NC? Look at how many sports voters there are in Chicago, then look at how close to Notre Dame and the number of Notre Dame alumn there is in Chicago, shouldn't really be a suprise that they got the nod over Alabama.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Alabama wasnt snubbed because they had no black players...

Please please some of you who are slamming the book left and right explain this:

66 Alabama was the ONE AND ONLY team to go begin the season #1, go undefeated, and not finish #1

Alabama got JUMPED after a WIN by a team (Notre Dame) who TIED Michigan state.

Explain how you start the season #1, DEMOLISH #2 in your bowl game, go undefeated...and not get the NC.

Not only did they tie, but they played FOR THE TIE.

They should have been jumped for not dropping some and trying to win the game... too bad the Catholic sportswriters decided to overlook that.

Bama shutout 6 teams that season... the most points we gave up in game was 14. ND appeared to be just as good. However, when we started out #1... played the entire season as #1 and blew out Nebraska in the Sugar Bowl then I think we should have been awarded another NC. They couldn't stand the thought of the national title going to southern boys for 3 straight years though... couldn't stand it!!

9/24 vs. Louisiana Tech (non-IA) W 34 0 @ Birmingham, AL

10/1 vs. *Mississippi (8-3) W 17 7 @ Jackson, MS

10/8 vs. Clemson (6-4) W 26 0

10/15 @ *Tennessee (8-3) W 11 10

10/22 vs. *Vanderbilt (1-9) W 42 6 @ Birmingham, AL

10/29 vs. *Mississippi State (2-8) W 27 14

11/5 vs. *Louisiana State (5-4-1) W 21 0 @ Birmingham, AL

11/12 vs. South Carolina (1-9) W 24 0

11/26 vs. Southern Mississippi (6-4) W 34 0 @ Mobile, AL

12/3 vs. *Auburn (4-6) W 31 0 @ Birmingham, AL

1/2 vs. Nebraska (9-2) W 34 7 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl

ND played for the tie against MSU... and chose not to play in a bowl. What a joke!

9/24 vs. Purdue (9-2) W 26 14

10/1 @ Northwestern (3-6-1) W 35 7

10/8 vs. Army (8-2) W 35 0

10/15 vs. North Carolina (2-8) W 32 0

10/22 @ Oklahoma (6-4) W 38 0

10/29 vs. Navy (4-6) W 31 7 @ Philadelphia, PA

11/5 vs. Pittsburgh (1-9) W 40 0

11/12 vs. Duke (5-5) W 64 0

11/19 @ Michigan State (9-0-1) T 10 10

11/26 @ Southern California (7-4) W 51 0

Guest Tigrinum Major

Ok, guys, I am gonna settle this.

Here's the deal, you get 1966. The only caveat is that you have to abdicate ever mentioning 1941 again.

Do we have a deal? You still get your "12", *cough*, and we right two wrongs.

Have Mal's people give my people a call.

Didn't Notre Dame win the 66 NC? Look at how many sports voters there are in Chicago, then look at how close to Notre Dame and the number of Notre Dame alumn there is in Chicago, shouldn't really be a suprise that they got the nod over Alabama.

Yes they did. I agree that Notre Dame is college football's media darling. TXAU, the "game of the century" as it was dubbed between ND and Michigan State ended with Notre Dame kneeling the ball, tied. You're right, and I'm not arguing, segregation and racism did exist in 1964 and 1965. I am however trying to point out that George Wallace's segregation polices came to a headway in 1966 and the media, the entire nation, and ultimately the voters took considerable notice. The worst publicity came in 1966 when George Wallace stood on the steps of the University proclaming "Segregation today, segregation tomorrow segregation forever." All of these events are well documented and during that year very well publicised. They had a huge impact on the voters and an undefeated, untied Alabama football squad paid the price. I could give countless links and countless reason for why things turned out the way they did but I don't think it would matter. Most on this board are going to believe what they want to (as long as it supports the AU cause) and that's fine. If you truely believe that it was justified to crown a Notre Dame team that settled for a tie as your champion, then that's your prerogative. I, as others do, believe there were greater underlying motives.

Here's the deal, you get 1966. The only caveat is that you have to abdicate ever mentioning 1941 again.

Cute.....

The point is that bammers everywhere were droning on and on about how Auburn was denied a shot at the title in 2004 because they're Auburn and Alabama would never get dissed like that because of their "tradishun." But it not only could happen, it did.

And on top of that, had bammer's offense not sucked last year and they had somehow managed to go undefeated...they'd have been sitting in 3rd going into the bowls just like us in 2004. Ain't no way bammer would have jumped USC or Texas.

I think this is the main point here UA-CT with barbs thrown in since it is the WOODSHED.

Actually id take 66 and get rid of two that UA claim. To give us 11.

Yes they did. I agree that Notre Dame is college football's media darling. TXAU, the "game of the century" as it was dubbed between ND and Michigan State ended with Notre Dame kneeling the ball, tied. You're right, and I'm not arguing, segregation and racism did exist in 1964 and 1965. I am however trying to point out that George Wallace's segregation polices came to a headway in 1966 and the media, the entire nation, and ultimately the voters took considerable notice. The worst publicity came in 1966 when George Wallace stood on the steps of the University proclaming "Segregation today, segregation tomorrow segregation forever." All of these events are well documented and during that year very well publicised. They had a huge impact on the voters and an undefeated, untied Alabama football squad paid the price. I could give countless links and countless reason for why things turned out the way they did but I don't think it would matter. Most on this board are going to believe what they want to (as long as it supports the AU cause) and that's fine. If you truely believe that it was justified to crown a Notre Dame team that settled for a tie as your champion, then that's your prerogative. I, as others do, believe there were greater underlying motives.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? I find it utterly disingenuous for you to complain about the wrongs of 1966 when there are at least six of the titles you claim that are so dubious as to be laughable. You dare complain about this when you proudly pimp a "national championship" in a year you finished third in the SEC?!?!

Absurd.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? I find it utterly disingenuous for you to complain about the wrongs of 1966 when there are at least six of the titles you claim that are so dubious as to be laughable. You dare complain about this when you proudly pimp a "national championship" in a year you finished third in the SEC?!?!

Absurd.

Which national titles?

The point is that bammers everywhere were droning on and on about how Auburn was denied a shot at the title in 2004 because they're Auburn and Alabama would never get dissed like that because of their "tradishun." But it not only could happen, it did.

And on top of that, had bammer's offense not sucked last year and they had somehow managed to go undefeated...they'd have been sitting in 3rd going into the bowls just like us in 2004. Ain't no way bammer would have jumped USC or Texas.

I think this is the main point here UA-CT with barbs thrown in since it is the WOODSHED.

Hey, all I did was give a reason, I didn't realize that it was found so unreasonable. Besides, the book he gave as an example was about everything I've posted.

Absurd.

Which national titles?

Oh, holy hell. Do you really want to start that up again? There are ruts in this road, it's been so well traveled. If you really want to see it again, I can try to dig up the thread containing the documentation that debunks the majority of Bama's so-called national championships.

Please please some of you who are slamming the book left and right explain this:

66 Alabama was the ONE AND ONLY team to go begin the season #1, go undefeated, and not finish #1

Explain how you start the season #1, DEMOLISH #2 in your bowl game, go undefeated...and not get the NC.

OKay, you explain how in 1941 Bama finishes #20 in the Country, 3rd in the SEC and yet you claim an MNC?

You explain how Bama finishes losing to ND in a bowl game in 1973 and yet you claim an MNC?

You explain how Bama finishes whipped at Home by USC in 1978 and yet you claim an MNC?

If you want to claim that ND wussed out in 1966 and didnt play a bowl game, then you guys have to give up the 73 claim because you claim an MNC when you got absolutely dusted in the bowl game. You cannot pick and choose MNCs like you pick your nose. If ND was wrong for claiming an MNC by not playing a bowl game, then you guys need to quit with claiming an MNC after you lose the bowl game in 1973.

It boggles the mind to see the irrational logic here.

Wallace's school house door speech was in 1963, not 1965 or 1966!

Wallace in the Schoolhouse Door

Marking the 40th Anniversary of Alabama's Civil Rights Standoff

by Debbie Elliott

Hear a portion of Gov. Wallace's statement at the University of Alabama.

Vivian Malone Jones recalls the day Wallace tried to block her from enrolling at the University of Alabama.

Watch a video of U.S. Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach confronting Gov. Wallace.

wallace_250.jpg

View enlargement The University of AlabamaGov. George Wallace blocks the doorway to Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, June 11, 1963.

Morning Edition, June 11, 2003 · Forty years ago today, Alabama Gov. George Wallace stood at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in a symbolic attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from enrolling at the school. The drama of the nation's division over desegregation came sharply into focus that June day. NPR's Debbie Elliott reports.

It was the same year that civil rights marchers had been turned back with police dogs and fire hoses in Birmingham, Ala. The year began with Wallace vowing "segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever" in his inaugural speech.

During his campaign, Wallace talked of physically putting himself between the schoolhouse door and any attempt to integrate Alabama's all-white public schools.

So when a federal judge ordered Malone and Hood be admitted to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa that summer, Wallace had the perfect opportunity to fulfill his pledge, Elliott reports.

Cully Clark is dean of the university's College of Communication and author of The Schoolhouse Door: Segregation's Last Stand at the University of Alabama. He says President Kennedy and his brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy, personally negotiated what was to happen in Tuscaloosa that summer, but they weren't sure what Wallace would do.

"They knew he would step aside," Clark says. "I think the fundamental question was how." Just in case, Clark says, National Guard troops had practiced how to physically lift the governor out of the doorway.

On June 11, with temperatures soaring, a large contingent of national media looked on as Wallace took his position in front of Foster Auditorium. State troopers surrounded the building. Then, flanked by federal marshals, Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach told Wallace he simply wanted him to abide by the federal court order.

Wallace refused, citing the constitutional right of states to operate public schools, colleges and universities. Katzenbach called President Kennedy, who federalized the Alabama National Guard to help with the crisis. Ultimately, Wallace stepped aside and the two students were allowed to register for classes.

But the incident catapulted the governor into the national spotlight and he went on to make four runs at the presidency. It was also a watershed event for President Kennedy, who in staring down the South's most defiant segregationist aligned himself solidly with the civil rights movement.

Vivian Malone Jones, then a 20-year-old transfer from an all-black college, said her goal was simply to sign-up for accounting classes. "I didn't feel I should sneak in, I didn't feel I should go around the back door. If [Wallace] were standing the door, I had every right in the world to face him and to go to school."

Two years later, she became the first African American to graduate from the University of Alabama.

UA-CT Whoever sold you that load of horse crap about reverse racism is just plain dumb. You have to be 10 kinds of dumb to believe one word of it. JFK dealt with Wallce during the stand-off. Kennedy died Nov. 22, 1963.

Absurd.

Which national titles?

Oh, holy hell. Do you really want to start that up again? There are ruts in this road, it's been so well traveled. If you really want to see it again, I can try to dig up the thread containing the documentation that debunks the majority of Bama's so-called national championships.

Start it up again? Didn't you bring it up ?

OKay, you explain how in 1941 Bama finishes #20 in the Country, 3rd in the SEC and yet you claim an MNC?

You explain how Bama finishes losing to ND in a bowl game in 1973 and yet you claim an MNC?

You explain how Bama finishes whipped at Home by USC in 1978 and yet you claim an MNC?

If you want to claim that ND wussed out in 1966 and didnt play a bowl game, then you guys have to give up the 73 claim because you claim an MNC when you got absolutely dusted in the bowl game. You cannot pick and choose MNCs like you pick your nose. If ND was wrong for claiming an MNC by not playing a bowl game, then you guys need to quit with claiming an MNC after you lose the bowl game in 1973.

by Debbie Elliott

Vivian Malone Jones recalls the day Wallace tried to block her from enrolling at the University of Alabama.

Watch a video of U.S. Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach confronting Gov. Wallace.

wallace_250.jpg

View enlargement The University of AlabamaGov. George Wallace blocks the doorway to Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, June 11, 1963.

Morning Edition, June 11, 2003 · Forty years ago today, Alabama Gov. George Wallace stood at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in a symbolic attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from enrolling at the school. The drama of the nation's division over desegregation came sharply into focus that June day. NPR's Debbie Elliott reports.

It was the same year that civil rights marchers had been turned back with police dogs and fire hoses in Birmingham, Ala. The year began with Wallace vowing "segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever" in his inaugural speech.

During his campaign, Wallace talked of physically putting himself between the schoolhouse door and any attempt to integrate Alabama's all-white public schools.

So when a federal judge ordered Malone and Hood be admitted to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa that summer, Wallace had the perfect opportunity to fulfill his pledge, Elliott reports.

Cully Clark is dean of the university's College of Communication and author of The Schoolhouse Door: Segregation's Last Stand at the University of Alabama. He says President Kennedy and his brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy, personally negotiated what was to happen in Tuscaloosa that summer, but they weren't sure what Wallace would do.

"They knew he would step aside," Clark says. "I think the fundamental question was how." Just in case, Clark says, National Guard troops had practiced how to physically lift the governor out of the doorway.

On June 11, with temperatures soaring, a large contingent of national media looked on as Wallace took his position in front of Foster Auditorium. State troopers surrounded the building. Then, flanked by federal marshals, Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach told Wallace he simply wanted him to abide by the federal court order.

Wallace refused, citing the constitutional right of states to operate public schools, colleges and universities. Katzenbach called President Kennedy, who federalized the Alabama National Guard to help with the crisis. Ultimately, Wallace stepped aside and the two students were allowed to register for classes.

But the incident catapulted the governor into the national spotlight and he went on to make four runs at the presidency. It was also a watershed event for President Kennedy, who in staring down the South's most defiant segregationist aligned himself solidly with the civil rights movement.

Vivian Malone Jones, then a 20-year-old transfer from an all-black college, said her goal was simply to sign-up for accounting classes. "I didn't feel I should sneak in, I didn't feel I should go around the back door. If [Wallace] were standing the door, I had every right in the world to face him and to go to school."

Two years later, she became the first African American to graduate from the University of Alabama.

UA-CT Whoever sold you that load of horse crap about reverse racism is just plain dumb. You have to be 10 kinds of dumb to believe one word of it. JFK dealt with Wallce during the stand-off. Kennedy died Nov. 22, 1963.

OK granted, I was wrong about the year in which Wallace made his stand, but the book you are using as an example is about all the things I've posted.

Absurd.

Which national titles?

Do you really want me to dig up the info AGAIN? It's only been posted 1000 times already.

by Debbie Elliott

wallace_250.jpg

OK granted, I was wrong about the year in which Wallace made his stand, but the book you are using as an example is about all the things I've posted.

The entire premise of this asinine book was swiftly rendered completely and utterly baseless by DKW's post. Your argument in support of it was shot full of holes. Need a towel to mop all the egg off your face?

It's a stupid book for stupid people. It posits something that the facts simply don't bear *snicker* out.

Absurd.

Which national titles?

Do you really want me to dig up the info AGAIN? It's only been posted 1000 times already.

Post it, email me, or drop it off by my house on your way to Starkville I don't care.

by Debbie Elliott

wallace_250.jpg

The entire premise of this asinine book was swiftly rendered completely and utterly baseless by DKW's post. Your argument in support of it was shot full of holes. Need a towel to mop all the egg off your face?

It's a stupid book for stupid people. It posits something that the facts simply don't bear *snicker* out.

Gaylen, the fact that I, not the book in question, mixed up the year of Wallace's infamous stand doesn't make the book less substantial. I imagine the basis of this book is the effect of the Movement in the south on the 1966 UA football squad. I haven't read it but this horse has been beat to death anyway. As I posted earlier this is OLD NEWS from a NEW SOURCE.

If you truely believe that it was justified to crown a Notre Dame team that settled for a tie as your champion, then that's your prerogative. I, as others do, believe there were greater underlying motives.

Kind of like settling for a national champion that had the same record as another team, but the team that had that record which they got the nod over is one that came into their own house and beat them? AKA 1978 Alabama over USC. But I don't see Bama writing books on how they screwed Southern California.

Perhaps Alabama did get the snub over it, but its still media voters voting based off of popularity (as Alabama probably didn't have problems with the southern voters). Same thing goes on today. Auburn could claim that votes in 2004 out of Miss had to do with Tuberville's move, the Kentucky votes that snubbed Auburn were the result of the Petrino incident, and some of the Alabama votes were based off which school was favored.

So while the underlying circumstances were different, it still came down to popularity which still goes on today. Isn't that the debat this started off as, Alabama would never be denied a chance to play for the NC based off media popularity?

TX4AU,

My original post was Auburn didn't make it to the NC game in 2004 because of indifference, popularity ...whatever. I'll agree with you on the point that Auburn was not the popular team. I don't think the BCS or anyone else for that matter wanted to watch another USC/AU rematch after the thumping USC laid on Auburn at home the previous year.

The 1978 team was voted National champions by the Assoc. Press, USC by the UPI. It's true, USC did beat us head to head at Legion Field but a late season loss to Arizona State hurt their chances of being the lone champion that year. I think if you'll remember correctly those late season losses always hurt back in the day and as it turned out, Alabama was the popular vote by season's end by the AP voters.

Even though, I feel like I'm getting off the subject, 1973, is a year of interest to this thread. It ended with Bama splitting the national championship with Notre Dame after UA's football team was intergregated. I'm not saying that's why we got the votes but it is interesting.

hijacker_1.JPG

Let me clear something up that I have seen a few times on here and heard 100s of times in other places regarding reverse racism.

Racism is defined as "the notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior." So, those of you that buy into any "Reverse Racism" conspiracies do not realize just how stupid the idea is. Minorities are not the only people who can experience racism. There is no reverse...unless you attack your own because ...you feel your own are inferior? :unsure:

David this isnt a discussion about our other titles we claim. Please address my questions regarding 66.

Also, i dont slam ND for not playing in a bowl game...I slam the media for ranking them AHEAD of us after they Tied and we just beat AU 31-0...AND WE WERE PRESEASON #1

Archived