Tide prepares for Hawaii and its pass-happy offense

DKW 86

"This is the best opponent we've played for an opening game," Shula said. "They are very talented and very fast, very opportunistic."

Not trying to flame here, but did Bama open with OU a few years ago? Or was that the second or third game, can't remember.

Yeah we opened with OU in 2002 and 2003. UCLA in 2000 and 2001

Cool, I'm going to send that to an Ok State alum sitting next to me, so he can mock his friends. Thanks.

UA did not open with OU. It was the 2nd or 3rd game of the seaon for both 2002 & 2003.U

UA did not open with OU. It was the 2nd or 3rd game of the seaon for both 2002 & 2003.U

Doh! Thanks, Jay.

Ahh you gotta love the late summer/ early fall fights about nothing that doenst matter. You guys do realize that USC and MSU play tonight..........i know where ill be, in front of that TV cheering for Croom and the puppy dogs.

Ahh you gotta love the late summer/ early fall fights about nothing that doenst matter. You guys do realize that USC and MSU play tonight..........i know where ill be, in front of that TV cheering for Croom and the puppy dogs.

I think Croom may be able to pull out a W tonight. I'm not sold on USC this year.

I can understand the idea of riding with Darby the whole game--he could certainly "get 'er done".

But there is also something to be said for only using him enough to stay in control. As long as the game is in hand, it might be wiser to 1) not risk injury to him, and 2) let QB JPW get game experience with his receivers in anticipation of needing them in future games.

But obviously, winning comes first and Darby is the straightest path to that.

hum...that's not good if you are a fan of Hawaii. I would think that would to missed or broken tackles. Even though this is done to keep injuries down (I’m assuming that’s the case), this could lead to more injuries because the guys don’t know how tackle a REAL person correctly.

I say again, see UGA/Boise St. to open the season last year if you want an idea of what Bama/Hawaii will be like this year.

Just no comparison in athletes.

I have followed Hawaii for several years, and they are a fun team to watch. But Hawaii doesn't have a lot of depth, except at WR, hence no real tackling in practice. Generally, they try to outscore their opponent, and it works well at home. But, Hawaii is one of the worst road teams in college football. They repeatedly have lost on the road to teams they would have beaten by 3-4 TDs in Honolulu. I think some of the players have a mental block about being on the mainland.

Brennan is a good QB and the WRs are very good, but I can't see Hawaii stopping Alabama's offense at all. Unless the Tide turns the ball over 4-5 times and gives Hawaii a lot of easy points, I think Alabama scores 35-42 points easy and wins by 3 TDs.

AL 48

HI 16

Darby will score faster than Eli can say, "He runs past Tualapha' a alapuanamokee hanutopanoku"

"And the extra point is blocked by Mecka lecka hi mecka heiney ho"

Would uat EVER "live it down" if they lose this one?

I have followed Hawaii for several years, and they are a fun team to watch. But Hawaii doesn't have a lot of depth, except at WR, hence no real tackling in practice. Generally, they try to outscore their opponent, and it works well at home. But, Hawaii is one of the worst road teams in college football. They repeatedly have lost on the road to teams they would have beaten by 3-4 TDs in Honolulu. I think some of the players have a mental block about being on the mainland.

Brennan is a good QB and the WRs are very good, but I can't see Hawaii stopping Alabama's offense at all. Unless the Tide turns the ball over 4-5 times and gives Hawaii a lot of easy points, I think Alabama scores 35-42 points easy and wins by 3 TDs.

AL 48

HI 16

What were the highest point totals posted by Bama last year and against whom?

37 against South Carolina.

35 against Utah State

31 against UF

30 against USM

26 against Middle TN State

24 against Arkansas

18 against AU

17 against MSU

13 against UM, LSU, and Texas Tech

6 against UT

37 against South Carolina.

35 against Utah State

31 against UF

30 against USM

26 against Middle TN State

24 against Arkansas

18 against AU

17 against MSU

13 against UM, LSU, and Texas Tech

6 against UT

Gracias. At what point in the season was the UF game?

Edit: Here are the scores after Prothro was gone for the season:

October 15 Mississippi W 13-10

October 22 Tennessee W 6-3

October 29 Utah State W 35-3

November 5 Mississippi State W 17-0

November 12 LSU L 16-13

November 19 Auburn L 28-18

January 2 Texas Tech W 13-10

Against quality opponents, Bama's O scored no more than 18 after losing Prothro. Prothro will not play against UH.

UH wins this by outscoring Bama.

Edit part deux:

Here are UtahSt's passing stats from last year:

Leon Jackson III 229 132 1547 8

Here are UH's (remember they play mostly common WAC opponents):

Colt Brennan 350 515 4301 35 13

That's where Bama is preparing for Hawaii right?

OK...I get it now. I think it is just their linebacking corps that has their meetings at that facility.

Darby will score faster than Eli can say, "He runs past Tualapha' a alapuanamokee hanutopanoku"

Now, try saying it like the Snake after 3 or 4 or 10 hits off the bottle of scotch. :roflol:

LOL, so what's your score prediction there Jambi!

quietfan, i hadnt thought about it...but you're right. If the games in somewhat control...no need to ride Darby into injury. But perfect chance to get JPW comfortable.

Archived