Bush vetoes funding for the troops!!

Congress exercised its constitutional responsibility this week by appropriating more than $100 billion to fully support our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, the President chose not to cash that check. It is up to him to explain to the American people why.

We won this war four years ago. The question is when we end the occupation. This bill called for a much-needed shift in our approach to Iraq. The United States military is not going to change the societal makeup of Iraq. And the Malaki government is not going to bring peace among Iraq's competing factions without the strong, overt, diplomatic cooperation of other countries in this region. And this bill called for just an approach.

I have always said that we need to support the troops through leadership that is equal to the sacrifices we are asking them to make. It is time for a new approach in Iraq, one that displays smart diplomatic leadership in the region. We must bring this occupation to a proper conclusion that will increase our ability to focus on international terrorism, increase the stability in the region and allow us to focus on our strategic interests elsewhere in the world.

Senator James Webb, USMC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with him vetoing this bill. The Dems knew he would and set it up to happen. I feel we need to have a plan to get out. There should be pressure on the Iraqi government to step up and take control. But the deadlines set by the Dems are unacceptable. You can't just say to the region, "Hey, guys. We're pulling put on this date." Anyone with a modicum of sense knows this.

There needs to be a plan to bring this to an end, this just wasn't the way. It's playing politics with the troops as the game pieces.

Nobody wants to talk how this bill was loaded with pork. Just another typical democratic underhanded ploy.

Nobody wants to talk how this bill was loaded with pork. Just another typical democratic underhanded ploy.

Why don't you support the troops?

Prez stands for FREEDOM!

Dems run for cover, act like small ***** women, cowards.........gays

Geeze TT, you are walking through life with blinders on! Same crap in every post I read of yours. Everybody knows that we need to plan an exit stratagy, this is just not the correct way. It's like letting thieves know when you are going to be out of town so they can ran-sack your house. I understand the intent of the bill as it was presented, but the methods were openly underhanded to try and serve a certain democratic political agenda. That part is obvious.

Geeze TT, you are walking through life with blinders on! Same crap in every post I read of yours. Everybody knows that we need to plan an exit stratagy, this is just not the correct way. It's like letting thieves know when you are going to be out of town so they can ran-sack your house. I understand the intent of the bill as it was presented, but the methods were openly underhanded to try and serve a certain democratic political agenda. That part is obvious.

Blinders? Nah. I knew Iraq was a huge mistake from way before it started. I also knew Bush was incompetent well ahead of the curve-- of course, I had the advantage of seeing him in Texas first.

So what is the plan to exit?

Here's what Republicans used to say with a Dem in WH:

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

-- George W. Bush, 4/9/99, criticizing President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo.

"I think it's also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn."

-- George W. Bush, 6/5/99

In 1993, Sen. John McCain led an effort to cut off funds immediately for military operations in Somalia after a firefight in Mogadishu killed 18 U.S. troops. The former prisoner of war in Vietnam brought a hush to the chamber floor when he asked what would happen if Congress failed to act and more Americans died.

"On whose hands rest the blood of American troops? Ask yourself this question," said McCain, R-Ariz.

Don't tell me about partisan posturing. The fact is, this President has no real plan. He's been talking about "progress" being made for the last 3 years--- things have gotten worse. Iraq is not close to governing itself effectively and the Bush administration is too inept to keep turning our children over to. I haven't been advocating withdrawal up to now, but I don't see where our presence necessarily prevents chaos from occuring. The more I hear, frankly, the more apparent it is that this adminstration can't pull this off. Its not the troops--- they've done great. But they've been placed in a situation our military simply isn't designed to "fix." They deserve so much better than what their commander-in-chief has to offer.

So Tex you were for this bill because it is passed by all those fiscally responsible democrats?

So Tex you were for this bill because it is passed by all those fiscally responsible democrats?

Now you know Bush has never vetoed a bill because of pork, don't you?

He has now. :P:big:

Finally, after six years, he vetoes one bill.

If nothing else, this will be payback for the "Closing the Govt" Veto from Clinton. Every one in America understands that this bill was dead before Congress even voted on it. It was nothing more than politics and a waste of time.

If nothing else, this will be payback for the "Closing the Govt" Veto from Clinton. Every one in America understands that this bill was dead before Congress even voted on it. It was nothing more than politics and a waste of time.

It is amazing how you guys think that just because a President threatens to veto a bill that the Congress should just give him one he won't veto. Why have a Congress if all they do is the Presidents' bidding? Oh, yeah. I forgot for a minute that Republicans decided they prefer a monarchy to a democratic republic.

The fact is, this President has no real plan. He's been talking about "progress" being made for the last 3 years--- things have gotten worse. Iraq is not close to governing itself effectively and the Bush administration is too inept to keep turning our children over to. I haven't been advocating withdrawal up to now, but I don't see where our presence necessarily prevents chaos from occuring. The more I hear, frankly, the more apparent it is that this adminstration can't pull this off. Its not the troops--- they've done great. But they've been placed in a situation our military simply isn't designed to "fix." They deserve so much better than what their commander-in-chief has to offer.

Is this observation based on actual experience or are your conclusions based purely on what the party feeds you? You sit back there in Texas, high on your moral horse, and spout off bullsh*t like you were sitting in Baghdad on General Petraeus' staff. The fact of the matter is you don't know anything more than the average American about what is going on over there. To say no progress has been made in Iraq shows how little you actually know. You regurgitate media accounts that highlight the bad without ever mentioning the good that has happened. You say you haven't been advocating withdrawal up to now? You are right. While not explicitly calling for our withdrawal (God knows you'd never come out and make a clear stance on anything), you cheer on politicans that continually call for this action, and do everything they can to undermine our efforts in the field all the while claiming that by pushing for our retreat from this war you are supporting us. Nothing could be further from the truth. By taking this stance, you spit on our dead and wounded and tell them their sacrifice, service, and honor mean nothing. You support us by calling us incompetent, dumb, war criminals, murderers, and gangsters; and you take a macabre glee in each report of a soldiers death on the battlefield because that death is a punch to the stomach of George W. Bush, the real enemy of our country.

So, don't act like you have any regard for us in the armed forces. You and your ilk have consistently rooted against us in this mission from the get go, and to say you think we have done great means jack sh*t to me and is nothing more than a slap in our face. Keep your damn sentiment. No one I know wants it.

Pravda could not have produced any more misleading and distorted propaganda than was posted here by TexasTiger.

Well done, comrade.

Pravda could not have produced any more misleading and distorted propaganda than was posted here by TexasTiger.

Well done, comrade.

I'm not your comrade. I don't share your totalitarian views.

The fact is, this President has no real plan. He's been talking about "progress" being made for the last 3 years--- things have gotten worse. Iraq is not close to governing itself effectively and the Bush administration is too inept to keep turning our children over to. I haven't been advocating withdrawal up to now, but I don't see where our presence necessarily prevents chaos from occuring. The more I hear, frankly, the more apparent it is that this adminstration can't pull this off. Its not the troops--- they've done great. But they've been placed in a situation our military simply isn't designed to "fix." They deserve so much better than what their commander-in-chief has to offer.

Is this observation based on actual experience or are your conclusions based purely on what the party feeds you? You sit back there in Texas, high on your moral horse, and spout off bullsh*t like you were sitting in Baghdad on General Petraeus' staff. The fact of the matter is you don't know anything more than the average American about what is going on over there. To say no progress has been made in Iraq shows how little you actually know. You regurgitate media accounts that highlight the bad without ever mentioning the good that has happened. You say you haven't been advocating withdrawal up to now? You are right. While not explicitly calling for our withdrawal (God knows you'd never come out and make a clear stance on anything), you cheer on politicans that continually call for this action, and do everything they can to undermine our efforts in the field all the while claiming that by pushing for our retreat from this war you are supporting us. Nothing could be further from the truth. By taking this stance, you spit on our dead and wounded and tell them their sacrifice, service, and honor mean nothing. You support us by calling us incompetent, dumb, war criminals, murderers, and gangsters; and you take a macabre glee in each report of a soldiers death on the battlefield because that death is a punch to the stomach of George W. Bush, the real enemy of our country.

So, don't act like you have any regard for us in the armed forces. You and your ilk have consistently rooted against us in this mission from the get go, and to say you think we have done great means jack sh*t to me and is nothing more than a slap in our face. Keep your damn sentiment. No one I know wants it.

That is a deeply delusional rant without a basis in reality. You treat all you disagree with you the same--- with utter contempt-- and attribute views to them they don't have. I've heard "progress" from this President for three years. I'm not sure he understands that word. I'm not sure you do, either.

I don't know why you guys are upset with TT. He consideres the United States the enemy in this war. He always has.

I don't know why you guys are upset with TT. He consideres the United States the enemy in this war. He always has.

Here's another psycho who makes up the positons of those who disagree with him.

Why do you guys have to demonize everyone who disagrees with you?

That is a deeply delusional rant without a basis in reality. You treat all you disagree with you the same--- with utter contempt-- and attribute views to them they don't have. I've heard "progress" from this President for three years. I'm not sure he understands that word. I'm not sure you do, either.

That post was "smack you in the face" reality. Unfortunately, you are the one that fails to grasp it. There is nothing in that post of mine that isn't the truth. You want to prove me wrong? Start posting something about some of the many successes going on over there. They're happening. Post something that highlights some of the sacrifices the heros over there are making, without turning it into a anti-Bush rant. They're happening every day. Do this, and you will prove me wrong....albeit after the fact.

It is amazing how you guys think that just because a President threatens to veto a bill that the Congress should just give him one he won't veto. Why have a Congress if all they do is the Presidents' bidding? Oh, yeah. I forgot for a minute that Republicans decided they prefer a monarchy to a democratic republic.

Nice defense of the Dems, Tex. The Dems knew this bill wouldn't pass on it's own merit. Most thinking Americans knew this as well. So they loaded it with a bunch of pork to get enough votes to send it to the President. President's bidding? They didn't even try to come up with anything that might be remotely agreeable. This bill was precisely designed to be a political football. Whether you want to admit it or not. This way they can do just as you did with the title. "BUSH DENIES FUNDING, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!" I told you this would happen over a month ago. This had nothing to do with funding the troops for the Democrats. It had everything to do with politics. The irony here is you have accused nearly everyone on the right of blindly defending their party for years. :rolleyes:

The active military and vets agree on this. TIS, the one thing Dems dont get, the one thing they alweays miss is that we arent some wild dumbasses looking for a war. If blood is spilt, it willbe our blood. We dont want war. We are just there to:

1) Stop a war from happening. If a war starts, on some level it probably means that some group feels they can get away with it.

2) If there is a war, to make it so bad on our enemies that we win as quickly as possible.

3) If there is a peace, to rebuild and bug out asap.

Tex, what is amazing is that you on the Left think all of America is as dumb as you. We and the rest of America know what happened here. Every politico from Carville and Morris told them to not do this. Even the nitwits in the press know Bush the idiot has outflanked the Dems again just like he did in 2000, 2002, and 2004.

Holy cow. Talking to you is like banging your head against a brick wall. My freaking 4 year old makes more sense than you! I don't even know the guy, but TIS is probably a military man stationed somewhere in Spain and you are calling him delusional? That's rediculous. I would take his word over yours any day for the exact reasons in his post. You might want to re-read it, I think you missed some stuff. I work in the engineering field and know several National Guard officers that have served in Iraq, never even fired a gun. They worked on design plans and construction crews building new roads, water plants, pipelines, sewerage treatment facilities, converting old buildings to new facilities, etc. in parts of Iraq that they never even saw warfare during thier service years. Did you even know this was heppening every day over there? Sensationalism runs our media, and a suicide bomber makes better news than the commissioning of a new water treatment plant. Problem is, you are not looking or listening outside of what the media is feeding you. I am not saying all things are perfect, or even have been handled correctly every time. But hindsight is 20/20 and you seem to live on the fact that you "knew" things were so. Sure, I would like to have seen things go differently. But they didn't. That's not a good enough reason to cut tail and run away. Its not fair to the majority of Iraqi's that are not problematic. I would think even the dems could see this. But let me guess TT, you probably even used one sheet of toilet paper for a couple of days until you heard she was only kidding, right? For someone so concerned about global warming, it was a pretty funny joke in hindsight.

Even the nitwits in the press know Bush the idiot has outflanked the Dems again just like he did in 2000, 2002, and 2004.

Ouch, that must hurt! To know how little respect extreme liberals have for the man and he keeps one upping you must be awefully demoralizing. I think I may understand all the smarta$$ reply of no substance.

Archived