House Divided - Does this exist in your family?

AUWelcome

I just receieved an email showcasing a new picture of print called Braggin' Rights. Not too bad because I suspect that a lot of family's are split throughout the state and was wondering if anyone had any good stories. I know of one divorce in my immediate family that was not solely because their significant other was a Bama fan...but let me tell you..it sure as hell didn't help. Anybody have a good story about how people cope with this or to what lengths families have busted up? Link of Picture below:

Braggin Rights

Several years ago, I was down at Redstick for a game. Me and my brother-in-law, David, had the 2 aisle seats and this woman comes down the aisle and starts hollering, "Go to hell Auburn, Roll Tide."

At an Auburn/LSU game? :blink:

Anyway, David gives her the business and a couple of minutes later, this guy comes down the aisle and taps him on the shoulder asking what he said to his wife. When David stands up, the guy's nose is about even with his chest. David tells him, "You've got Auburn gear on. WTH are you doing married to her?" With that, the guy kind of hung his head and said, "Yea, she can be pretty obnoxious sometimes"

David tells him very plainly, "If you're gonna' take her places, you need to put her on a leash."

Ooooooohhh...SNAP

My family, my mother, my father, my two brothers, my brother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my wife, my three nephews, and my two nieces are all Auburn fans, thanks.

We have one cousin who is a Florida State fan, chiefly because that's where she went to college.

As a side note, our new next door neighbors were from Massachusetts–A terrific older couple who had just moved to the neighborhood in September. So I was out front raking leaves and my neighbor walks up and asks, "So. What's all this about Auburn and Alabama?"

I proceed to give him a long song and dance about the necessity of picking sides, etc. He thought it was funny.

Two months later, I had to stay in town for a wedding during the Iron Bowl (Don't get me started). The game was in the early afternoon and the wedding was that night. So we decided to have a football-watching party at my house for Auburn fans only, and we invite the Massachusetts couple over. We have two TVs on the back patio, the grill going, and twenty odd Auburn fans running around the place.

We're all having a great time before the game, making pleasant conversation. Then the game came on, and my neighbor described it as "a mass outbreak of Tourrette's Syndrome." Men, women, and children all shreiking at the television. You all know what I'm talking about. They were so unnerved that they left at halftime.

Afterwards, he kept joking with me about it. I simply said, "Hey, you've never seen anything until you've seen Alabama fans."

Next year, he watched with a bunch of Alabama fans. He came back and said, "You were right. Those people were crazy. Insane. I guess I'm an Auburn fan, then."

My grandfather went to graduate school at Alabama. My mom was an Alabama fan before attending Auburn (Her names Melanie-she wanted to become Melanie Musso). For my first Christmas, my grandfather got me a pair of Bama nikes (the old school ones with Bama written across the back). He bought them thinking my mom would return them and get a pair of the Auburn ones. My mom didnt want to give him the pleasure of returning them, so my first tennis shoes were BAMA ones and thats what I wore.

My grandfather went to graduate school at Alabama. My mom was an Alabama fan before attending Auburn (Her names Melanie-she wanted to become Melanie Musso). For my first Christmas, my grandfather got me a pair of Bama nikes (the old school ones with Bama written across the back). He bought them thinking my mom would return them and get a pair of the Auburn ones. My mom didnt want to give him the pleasure of returning them, so my first tennis shoes were BAMA ones and thats what I wore.

Those were the days when we told you the manure pile was your sandbox.

my older brother went to uat for undergrad and law school, i went to AU for undergrad and am finishing up grad school here at the end of the year

that scenario is not allowed. any other school is ok, but uat is a union that is destined for disaster.

why make your life miserable on purpose? (marriage I'm talking about)

My wife and I are both sensible people (meaning, Auburn fans) but her father is a bammer fan and her mom is an Auburn fan, mostly to tick off her husband. You walk in the house and there is the obligatory bammer picture above the fireplace but one corner of the room is decorated in Auburn stuff. Every Christmas is a contest as to if there are more Auburn decorations on the tree or bammer crap on the tree.

my wife is a tennessee graduate. back in 2003 when we were still dating, we went to our 1st AU-UT experience together. we had dated for a couple years and i had cheered for UT for her when we went to/watched games together. for some reason something snapped in me at that game and i had never wanted to beat a team so bad in my entire life. of course we won 28-21, then preceeded to have one of the biggest fights ever with my wife. we broke up temporarily a short time later, but made up and were engaged in time for the 2004 perfect season. i guess the fighting worked. to this day i hate tennessee even though i live in the heart of knoxville. :)

Both my parents, one of my sisters, and her husband all went to :uk: . Then my sister went to Louisville for med school, but of course still roots for :uk: on all counts. All of my other family members went to smaller schools, and I had one cousin who played on WKU's football and wrestling (stuck with that instead) team a few years back. I am a first generation :au: student (soon to be graduate), and catch flack from the Kentucky grads during basketball season. But during football season, they usually spend their time doing other things than watching football... I wonder why?

Other than that, I don't have any in house rivalries (one of my roommates is an Auburn :homer: though). I do have a few friends that live in harmony even though two are :au: fans and one is a :lsu: fan. As far as marriage goes oneday, I doubt I would ever marry a bammer b/c I would like for my wife to have teeth.

Both my parents, one of my sisters, and her husband all went to :uk: . Then my sister went to Louisville for med school, but of course still roots for :uk: on all counts. All of my other family members went to smaller schools, and I had one cousin who played on WKU's football and wrestling (stuck with that instead) team a few years back. I am a first generation :au: student (soon to be graduate), and catch flack from the Kentucky grads during basketball season. But during football season, they usually spend their time doing other things than watching football... I wonder why?

Other than that, I don't have any in house rivalries (one of my roommates is an Auburn :homer: though). I do have a few friends that live in harmony even though two are :au: fans and one is a :lsu: fan. As far as marriage goes oneday, I doubt I would ever marry a bammer b/c I would like for my wife to have teeth.

Harmony?! thats what you call that?

My entire family pulls for :ut: . Naturally I grew up pulling for them, until I came to :au: . My eyes were opened and I saw the light as soon as I stepped onto campus. It certainly made for some fun banter during the 03 and 04 seasons...and of course my team came out on top all 3 times.

One of my roommates pulls for :lsu: , and in the 05 season, I forced him to go to Toomer's with me after the game. He still hates me for it. Other than that it's just good friendly banter back and forth.

I also have a couple delusional :ua: fans as friends, but I wouldn't trade them because they're good for comic relief.

As far as marriage goes oneday, I doubt I would ever marry a bammer b/c I would like for my wife to have teeth.

Well, I think you just pointed out why it may actually be advantageous to actually marry a bammer.

Oh wait, wives don't do that.

My first cousin attended uat. He married an Auburn grad and they have lived in Northport since before they got married. They have two children (son and daughter) in college and the oldest (son) goes to uat now.

They almost moved to NC a year or two ago and it didn't work out. I told his wife that after the 23+ years of marriage she needed to get him to move to Auburn and retire there.

My parents and brother are all Auburn, so we didn't have a divided household growing up. However, All of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins on both sides of the family are HUGE bammers. We are pretty much considered the black sheep of the family. I don't live around them anymore so I don't have to hear them except during the holidays and family reunions. Thank God Saban wasn't hired until after Christmas.

My wife's family are Dawgs, but they could really care less. Most of my kids' friends are Dawgs also, but so far they have remained Tigers.

My wife is a :uf: . and I don't care that they won the MNC I still give her the business!

My wife is a :uf: . and I don't care that they won the MNC I still give her the business!

my soon to be wife is an FSU grad..

My entire family pulls for :ut: .

Uncle Jack: "Boy, we gonna beat ya'll like a drum!"

AU- 34, Tennessee- 10

And I loved every second of it! :cheer:

My entire family pulls for :ut: .

Uncle Jack: "Boy, we gonna beat ya'll like a drum!"

AU- 34, Tennessee- 10

And I loved every second of it! :cheer:

Good times, even though the Rev almost took us to the Vandy/MSU game in Nashville.

and then we got out of the speeding ticket by talking about how great schaeffer and ainge were going to be in the very near future...blah blah blah...that was fun trip. B)

i am the only auburn fan in an enormous family of bammers (both sides). only ONE of them actually went to alabama (my paternal grandfather), and graduated with an engineering degree before bryant ever got there. they are absolutely insufferable. i was raised to be a bammer fan, but never really got into it, which more or less drove me away from football till my senior year of high school, when i decided i was going to auburn for architecture. like a lot of people, stepping on campus for the first time was an absolute shock to my system, and considering i'd never felt as much at home as i did in jordan-hare, i was sold. my family tried to hate it, but we've handled them so consistently for the 4 years i've been here that they've all just sort of gotten quiet about it.

my favorite part is, now that i've preached the gospel and shown the younger generation (my younger cousins) the light, most of them are getting ready to move to the plains as soon as they graduate high school.

my favorite part is, now that i've preached the gospel and shown the younger generation (my younger cousins) the light, most of them are getting ready to move to the plains as soon as they graduate high school.

:cheer:

Sister and her idiot brother in law are :ut:

Rest of my entire family is LSWho

It's was tough at first dealing with the LSWho after I came back down here but I have gotten used to it.

Sister is not bad at all about UT but her brother in law has already gotten one across the face after a UT/UGA game. I really hate him.

and then we got out of the speeding ticket by talking about how great schaeffer and ainge were going to be in the very near future...blah blah blah...that was fun trip. B)

What was a reverend doing getting pulled over anyways? I think repentance is in order.

What was a reverend doing getting pulled over anyways? I think repentance is in order.

He was driving like a bat out of hell... probably 20 miles over the speed limit on an old country road... not a good idea.

Archived