Spiderman breaks box office records

You read the papers today and you'd think Spiderman 3 shattered all box office records, eclipsing Star Wars, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc. A few weeks ago the dismally dreadful Blades of Glory was setting box office marks.

The problem with these "records" is that they're based only on dollars. They don't take into account the number of screens or the price of the ticket. How does the eleventy-six gabillion dollars Spiderman III took in compare to the fortyteen catrillion dollars Star Was Episode II raked in? if you extrapolate that over the actual number of paying customers who saw the movie or better yet the percentage of capacity based on available seats then where would Spidey rank?

I don't think using dollar amounts really provides an accurate picture of the success of a movie opening. Or at least it shouldn't be the ONLY one.

Yeah, movie tickets cost about 3 times what they did when star wars came out. So the number is pretty lame.

I don't know why someone would want to pay 9 bucks to see that wuss "act" like a superhero. Can you say TERRIBLE casting? The guy is such a freaking pansy.

Egg? How does it taste? Wiping it off my face...

From al.com:

Domestically, Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man 3" drew 22.5 million people in its first three days, based on an average ticket price of $6.70 estimated by box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

By comparison, 20.7 million people saw the previous record-holder, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," over its $135.6 million opening weekend, based on last year's average ticket price of $6.55.

The 2002 average ticket price of $5.80 translates to 19.8 million people catching "Spider-Man" in its $114.8 million first weekend, which had held the box-office record until "Dead Man's Chest" sailed in.

Okay, that allegedly shows the actual number of people. Now I'd really like to know how many screens and how many total available seats. For example if Pirates was showing on 2,000 screens and four showings as opposed to Spidey showing on 3100 screens with four showings per day, then we still don't really know. And if there were a total of 20.8 million possible seats for Pirates but a total of 24.2 million possible seats for Spiderman, then would you still say it was the most successful opening ever?

I've gone to see movies on opening night/weekend only to end up seeing something else because the screenings were completely booked.

Took my kid to see it. He loved it. I don't usually go to movies due to the rape factor (my wallet does not like to be raped). But this one was worth the $8.50 I had to pay. (can't believe my cheap ass just said that)

It was almost 2.5 hours long and never really got too boring. Still can't see why the sandman was thrown in there. Maybe he comes back later.

This is a pretty cool site. It shows the highest all time domestic box-office grosses for movies, but the twist is, it adjusts them for inflation. So I think it is a better indication of which movies really were the most successful. One catch, for some of the older movies, these numbers include multiple releases, not just the original release.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Thus, the top five are:

1. Gone with the Wind (no surprise there)

2. Star Wars

3. The Sound of Music (slightly surprising)

4. ET

5. Ten Commandments

The best movie of all time (The Godfather) is a very respectable 21.

I actually enjoyed the first and second one of the spiderman flicks. special effects are quite good I think. Looking forward to seeing this one, but will not go to the theater to see it.

Looking forward to seeing this one, but will not go to the theater to see it.

Would you go to a drive in to see it? That's what I want to do.

NO...I'll watch it on DVD in the comfort of my own home... :)

Are there any drive-ins left. I remember having one in Prattville until about a '87, '88. Then they tore it down to build a road. It was a great place to go to on Sunday night after church. I think something like that might do well today. Only problem is that it would attract the loiterers without cars who cause trouble and cannot be thrown out without a discrimination suit.

Yeah, movie tickets cost about 3 times what they did when star wars came out. So the number is pretty lame.

I don't know why someone would want to pay 9 bucks to see that wuss "act" like a superhero. Can you say TERRIBLE casting? The guy is such a freaking pansy.

FYI....Peter Parker was a "wuss" and a wannabe science geek. He eventually quit his freelancing as a photographer and became a science teacher in the comic series back in the mid 80s. Peter Parker/Spiderman is not some real big muscular hero either.

So with that said, what type of person did you expect them to cast as Peter Parker? Whoever they got would still be "acting" as a hero. I don't know too many in Hollywood that are actually real life heroes. :poke:

Spiderman was one of the many comics I collected as a kid and teenager, as well as the Avengers, X-Men, Batman, Spiderman, Spawn, Iron Man, and Captain America, so I consider myself sort of an expert on those particular comics. My son is is now into reading comics and so I have now been able to aqcuire every one of those comics from their first issue until the present...all in a digital format on my computer.

FYI....Peter Parker was a "wuss" and a wannabe science geek. He eventually quit his freelancing as a photographer and became a science teacher in the comic series back in the mid 80s. Peter Parker/Spiderman is not some real big muscular hero either.

So with that said, what type of person did you expect them to cast as Peter Parker? Whoever they got would still be "acting" as a hero. I don't know too many in Hollywood that are actually real life heroes. :poke:

Spiderman was one of the many comics I collected as a kid and teenager, as well as the Avengers, X-Men, Batman, Spiderman, Spawn, Iron Man, and Captain America, so I consider myself sort of an expert on those particular comics. My son is is now into reading comics and so I have now been able to aqcuire every one of those comics from their first issue until the present...all in a digital format on my computer.

You've got all the Batman series from issue 1 forward?

Are there any drive-ins left. I remember having one in Prattville until about a '87, '88. Then they tore it down to build a road. It was a great place to go to on Sunday night after church. I think something like that might do well today. Only problem is that it would attract the loiterers without cars who cause trouble and cannot be thrown out without a discrimination suit.

yeah, there are several drive-ins. Supposedly one in Guin, Argo, Centre, Cleveland, Piedmont, Roanoke, Mountainboro and Russellville. That list might be outdated.

You've got all the Batman series from issue 1 forward?

Actually, that is the only one I am having a hard time getting my hands on as far as the complete collection.

I do have issues 00-94 of "Shadow of the Bat". I also have the complete story arc of Knightfall, KnightQuest, KnightsEnd, the complete story arc of No Mans Land, and the two Batman/Punisher graphic novels. I did have the Batman vs. Predator run, but I lost them somehow when I was transferring them to an external drive. The Detective Comics issues in a digital format are really hard to find for some reason, and I can't find anybody that has scanned them yet.

I have 60 GB of comics stored on one of my external hard drives and I have about 20-30 GB I am working on. My son has plenty to read and I may find myself reading a few of them also just for old time's sake.

I'm a self admitted comic book geek, and I hated Spiderman 3. I thought it did for the Spiderman movies what Superman III did for those.

You read the papers today and you'd think Spiderman 3 shattered all box office records, eclipsing Star Wars, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc. A few weeks ago the dismally dreadful Blades of Glory was setting box office marks.

The problem with these "records" is that they're based only on dollars. They don't take into account the number of screens or the price of the ticket. How does the eleventy-six gabillion dollars Spiderman III took in compare to the fortyteen catrillion dollars Star Was Episode II raked in? if you extrapolate that over the actual number of paying customers who saw the movie or better yet the percentage of capacity based on available seats then where would Spidey rank?

I don't think using dollar amounts really provides an accurate picture of the success of a movie opening. Or at least it shouldn't be the ONLY one.

You are also forgetting that most movies before 1980 were released more than once. So a movie (like Star Wars for instance) was released pre 1980 and was released more than once giving it more opportunity to make more money. Spiderman 3 was out for 3 days and made 151 million dollars. Just to give you an idea of how good that is let's take some "recent" movies that did really well. That way you can't argue inflation of ticket prices or seating or any of that crap. Let's see... The movie 300 most people would agree was great and did really well it made 200 million dollars and it has been out about 10 weeks now. Night at the Museum has been out about 21 weeks now and it made 251 million dollars. Spiderman 3 after 3 days made 151 million. So in time we'll see where it finally tops out at and then you can make your decision.

Archived