The Obligatory Harry Potter Thread

Okay. Two months before the last book's release, J.K. Rowling says that two major characters will die in the final book.

My guess is Cho Chang and Ron Weasley.

Any thoughts? I began reading these books four years ago just to understand what everybody's kids were babbling about. Then I realized how really good they are. Heck, I'm not even a sci-fi or fantasy fan.

Your thoughts?

I have admit my nephew got me hooked on those books. Started reading them under the same pretense of just wanting to know what the hell he was talking about. Don't know who will be killed off but would think those are the odds on bet.

I guess I'm just out of the loop. I don't know anything about Harry Potter except that there's a character named Her Mighty Granger. My daughter's read all the books and has a trivia game she used to play years ago. Whatever the question, my answer was Her Mighty Granger. Sometimes I got it right.

Harry Potter is the debbil.

And all of you who partake of the debbil is going to hell. Remember to always burn responsibly.....

I think one of the characters is Harry-- this is the final book, and I think the author will make him a martyr, much like his mother was. He will die in order to defeat evil.

The other character will be Voldemort.

I think one of the characters is Harry-- this is the final book, and I think the author will make him a martyr, much like his mother was. He will die in order to defeat evil.

And then he'll be with the debbil?

Define "major character"? Could be Snape - he could come to an end like Darth Vader in Star Wars - find the goodness inside all the evil and sacrifice himself...

Definitely one of the three main kids - hopefully Ron - he gets on my nerves. Hermione rocks.

Doubt she would dare kill off Harry - even tho its the last book and she has all the money she could ever want - kids everywhere would, like,

TOTALLY.

FREAK.

OUT.

Guest Tigrinum Major

All the more reason to kill him.

When will she ever again have the chance to scar a generation?

It might be Harry, but I don't know. He might indeed die to beat Voldemort, but to me, when a mom dies to save her kid, that's not true martyrdom, that's just being a mom. She had no way of knowing her sacrifice would give Harry the means to defeat Voldemort. She was just trying to save her child.

Well, she did say no sequals after this...So Harry could get it. But at the same time, because she keeps dangling Harry's lost family in front of us, I think it ultimately has to end addressing that question. After all, Rowling is superb at tying together loose ends.

Personally, from a plotting standpoint, I think she'll kill off both Harry and Hermione's love interests, and they'll be together at the end. Together, they'll kill Voldemort, and then spawn a houseful of little wizards of their own.

It might be Harry, but I don't know. He might indeed die to beat Voldemort, but to me, when a mom dies to save her kid, that's not true martyrdom, that's just being a mom. She had no way of knowing her sacrifice would give Harry the means to defeat Voldemort. She was just trying to save her child.

But the implication is that someone good has to die in order to save the rest. I think it will end up being Harry. They will make him a Christ-like figure that has to die in order to save the wizarding world from evil.

But... I could be completely off base.

I think it's Harry and Snape.

Archived