Tray up to 225lbs - Moving to MLB

metafour

Recent "rumblings" (which should be picked up soon, Rivals is supposedly releasing an article tomorrow) state that Tray is now up to 225lbs and is set to make a move to MLB over from WLB. I've heard news about him possibly moving the MLB a while back, but the weight gain is huge. He'll be a freak in the middle at that weight (and theres still time to gain more).

I can't wait to see him play next fall. He will be a monster at MLB. Will we be able to call Sarah Jessica, Brodie, Jr. after this year?

I still think it would be better to have Craig Stevens in the middle and Tray on the outside, but I'm no coach so if they decide he should be in the middle, that's good enough for me.

I am wondering if he has practiced any at the position. If not, it may take a while for him to catch on.

Nice Mobile Press-Register piece:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Blackmon back with Tigers

Auburn linebacker returns after his second suspension

Thursday, May 17, 2007

AUBURN -- For 19 games, he sat on the sidelines.

When Tray Blackmon finally made his debut against Florida last season, the legend surrounding the Auburn linebacker immediately started to grow.

Blackmon was part of Auburn's defensive resurgence in the second half of the season, recovering a fumble and earning praise from coaches for his disruptive presence in the 27-17 win over the eventual national champions.

Today, after several months away from the team, Blackmon is back.

The twice-suspended 21-year-old from LaGrange, Ga., is expected to attend classes today, when the summer academic session begins at Auburn.

After redshirting in 2005, Blackmon was suspended for the first six games of 2006 and the Cotton Bowl in January. He missed spring practice this season while on leave for personal reasons.

His absence and expected return have been closely monitored by fans -- because he is among the most explosive young defensive players in the SEC -- and by coaches, who know Blackmon has the talent to be the backbone of Auburn's defense for years to come.

"I think he's ready to go," said LaGrange High coach Steve Pardue, who has talked with Blackmon during his leave from Auburn.

Blackmon was among the South's most heralded recruits when he signed with Auburn two years ago. His career, while showing glimpses of promise, has been bumpy since then.

He was arrested after the 2005 season in his hometown for being a minor in possession of alcohol. Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville suspended him for six games. After his star-studded six-game return -- during which defensive coordinator Will Muschamp routinely named him the unit's most productive player -- Blackmon was suspended from the Cotton Bowl for undisclosed reasons.

He didn't enroll in the spring semester, and Tuberville said he was on leave from the team for personal reasons.

Blackmon must be attentive in the classroom in order to be eligible to play in August, Tuberville said.

"He's just got to make up a lot of ground," Tuberville said in February. "That's all in (his) court. We've had a couple (players) do that before. They've just got to take care of business."

Blackmon's redshirt freshman year showed only a small hint of what he is capable of doing at the college level, Pardue said.

At LaGrange, it wasn't until his junior year that he finally began to realize his full potential.

"He was a good player, but not a great player," Pardue said. "About midway through his junior year, we were playing Cartersville. It was like a light came on. He had a huge game, something like four sacks. And after that game, he played like that for the rest of his career. He really didn't know how good he could be. When he left here, he was still learning the game."

Despite the travails of his brief Auburn career, Tuberville has been careful to note that Blackmon has not been an attitude problem, and coaches have been impressed by his work ethic.

Pardue concurs with that assessment.

"He's a great kid, there's no doubt about it," Pardue said. "You won't ever find anyone with a bad thing to say about him. He's made some mistakes, but he's corrected those and is OK. He's hard not to like. People who know him know that he's about as nice a kid as you'll find."

When practice opens in August, Blackmon is expected to be back at the center of Auburn's defense. As one of the key pieces to Auburn's 2007 season, the sophomore will likely speak to the media some time next week. Soft-spoken and almost shy in front of reporters, Blackmon was unusually enthusiastic after the big win against Florida.

"It's indescribable," he told reporters after the game. "The emotions were running wild and I was just trying to make a play. It felt good to finally get back out there because I just love to play football. It is special. This is something I'll be telling my kid's kids about."

Blackmon has three more years of eligibility, and Auburn fans and coaches hope there will be more memories to come.

"We haven't seen all that he can do yet," Pardue said.

I think all of us posting here today are kind of giddy but also apprehensive about Trey's return. It will be interesting if the reason he had to take "personal time" away from campus comes out. Either way I'm more than glad that he has put this "stuff" behind him and hopefully the human missle will come out and play like we saw him play against Florida. He has so much potential and I hope the best for Trey. War Trey destroying rb's and qb's in the sec this year.

I think all of us posting here today are kind of giddy but also apprehensive about Trey's return. It will be interesting if the reason he had to take "personal time" away from campus comes out. Either way I'm more than glad that he has put this "stuff" behind him and hopefully the human missle will come out and play like we saw him play against Florida. He has so much potential and I hope the best for Trey. War Trey destroying rb's and qb's in the sec this year.

TrAy.

I am wondering if he has practiced any at the position. If not, it may take a while for him to catch on.

The instincts he has for football it probably won't take long.

I'm like everyone else in that I'm pumped about TrAy's potential. TrAy was a wild man against UF even though his numbers didn't relect a dominating game. He seemed to be disrupting every play. But, I'm not going to get too hyped about TrAy until he plays consistently and is there with his team mates on a daily basis.

OkAy?

Despite the travails of his brief Auburn career, Tuberville has been careful to note that Blackmon has not been an attitude problem, and coaches have been impressed by his work ethic.

Pardue concurs with that assessment.

"He's a great kid, there's no doubt about it," Pardue said. "You won't ever find anyone with a bad thing to say about him. He's made some mistakes, but he's corrected those and is OK. He's hard not to like. People who know him know that he's about as nice a kid as you'll find."

When practice opens in August, Blackmon is expected to be back at the center of Auburn's defense. As one of the key pieces to Auburn's 2007 season, the sophomore will likely speak to the media some time next week. Soft-spoken and almost shy in front of reporters, Blackmon was unusually enthusiastic after the big win against Florida.

"It's indescribable," he told reporters after the game. "The emotions were running wild and I was just trying to make a play. It felt good to finally get back out there because I just love to play football. It is special. This is something I'll be telling my kid's kids about."

Blackmon has three more years of eligibility, and Auburn fans and coaches hope there will be more memories to come.

This alone makes us a viable SEC Contender. He may be THE impact player in the :sec:

I'm like everyone else in that I'm pumped about TrAy's potential. TrAy was a wild man against UF even though his numbers didn't relect a dominating game. He seemed to be disrupting every play. But, I'm not going to get too hyped about TrAy until he plays consistently and is there with his team mates on a daily basis.

OkAy?

Good to know that my lessons sink in for even the most dense of our posters.

I find it pretty incredible when someone puts on 20 lbs in less than 6 months. There is no way to put that much muscle on in that amount of time. So either he was more than 205 six months ago or he is not actually 225 now unless it is 20 lbs of fat.

If he weighs 225, I sure hope that Coach Yox make him work out like he has never worked out before!

I like to pet kittens

He is back at :au: not back on the team as yet. He still has a lot of work to do. I see no ice creams in his future ala Rolando McClain.

OkAy?

Good to know that my lessons sink in for even the most dense of our posters.

Awww come on. You're just sayin' that.

I'd like to see Chris Evans gain some major playing time. He had a wonderful spring, and if I'm mistaken even had the most tackles in one of the scrimmages. The guy has earned it... From what I hear, he also puts the same effort in the classroom as well. Tray could learn a thing or two from the guy.

Warning guys, back at school doesnt mean back on the team. He and CTT still have a meeting planned in a few weeks to discuss that.

Warning guys, back at school doesnt mean back on the team. He and CTT still have a meeting planned in a few weeks to discuss that.

Theres a better chance of Bama winning the MNC next year than there is of Blackmon NOT being back on the team ;)

I find it pretty incredible when someone puts on 20 lbs in less than 6 months. There is no way to put that much muscle on in that amount of time. So either he was more than 205 six months ago or he is not actually 225 now unless it is 20 lbs of fat.

If he weighs 225, I sure hope that Coach Yox make him work out like he has never worked out before!

I think 20 pounds of muscle is possible in six months, if you do it right. I gained 40 between April and September my senior year of high school. I weighed 165 to start and finished at about 205. Although, some of it was definitely fat. My bench press went up 100 pounds and my squat went from 375 to 445. I ate five meals a day, all big meals. Large breakfast, large lunch, sandwich after practice, two helpings at dinner and I went through a quart of ice cream every couple of days. Believe it or not but I did it.

TrAy could become the best, and most discussed linebacker since Mike Kolen and Fast Freddie Smith. The future will certainly be exciting and rewarding for this young man.

WDE !

I'm not concerned about him getting back on the team. Tuberville made it clear in February that Blackmon had a one-game suspension,(cotton bowl) and was otherwise in good standing. He does have to pass some courses this term to be eligible, but here's guessing he will.

The 225 could be a problem. Blackmon is certainly no taller than six feet. He relies on quickness and a good bit of pure speed. If he loses that, he could become just another linebacker. He was doing just fine at 205, right?

Archived