Georgia steals victory from Auburn

drewau02

This is definitely in my top five of most painful losses ever. Sorry to post the link but I really would like to know what some of you think about this game 15 years later. Should the refs have stopped the clock and allowed another play? Insights appreciated.

The clock should have been stopped.

They didn't steal one. We do what we are supposed to on the play before and we win.

I was there and it was painful to watch but we had our opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.

They didn't steal one. We do what we are supposed to on the play before and we win.

I was there and it was painful to watch but we had our opportunity and didn't take advantage of it.

Should have pitched wide from the T-formation. Could have walked backward into the endzone.

Stan was rocking the curly mullet.

That play really does remind me of a Mike Shula offense at the goal line. The game may have been painful to watch, saniflush, but not nearly as painful as the Iron Bowl game I attended a couple weeks later. Pat Dye's last game. We get shutout. I'm leaving the stadium as Bama fans chant, "good byeeee, Pat Dye!" Bama goes on to win the national championship. It doesn't get any worse than that.

So Stan White was sporting the mullet look and noone in the crowd was wearing orange. Man, how things have changed.

I was at both of those games as well. My freshman year at Auburn. And, to top it off, Bama played in the Sugar Bowl that year. Being from New Orleans, it was rather difficult to avoid Bama fans that year. That just made me hate them even more.

I was there. 12 years old. I was so upset after that and thought we'd been cheated.

While you can't say we were cheated, the clock still should have been stopped. Just because you're on the goal line, doesn't mean you're gonna get it in on one try.

This is definitely in my top five of most painful losses ever. Sorry to post the link but I really would like to know what some of you think about this game 15 years later. Should the refs have stopped the clock and allowed another play? Insights appreciated.

I think they gave it back in '01 in Athens. Then again, they got an extra play at the end of regulation in '96, which led to Bobo's miracle TD heave and eventual 4 OT loss, so maybe they owed us two. Weird series. :blink:

My two thoughts:

1) I don't really remember losses from 15 years ago or worry about them.

2) I never blame refs for the results of a game. If a team is dominant and wins convincingly, the refs won't have any effect on the results. If a game is so close that one or two calls by the refs are that significant, then neither team has much to brag about--call it a wash and move on. Rather than blame the refs for the call on 1-2 plays, a team that lost should just blame itself for not taking control during the other 58-59 minutes of play.

But for drewau02 or any of the rest of you that want to play, I'm not flaming or calling you out...it's the off season and we're all looking for something to kill time with until August. Enjoy.

My two thoughts:

2) I never blame refs for the results of a game. If a team is dominant and wins convincingly, the refs won't have any effect on the results. If a game is so close that one or two calls by the refs are that significant, then neither team has much to brag about--call it a wash and move on. Rather than blame the refs for the call on 1-2 plays, a team that lost should just blame itself for not taking control during the other 58-59 minutes of play.

But for drewau02 or any of the rest of you that want to play, I'm not flaming or calling you out...it's the off season and we're all looking for something to kill time with until August. Enjoy.

I never said that game still bothers me. In fact, I had completely forgotten about the '92 Georgia game until I saw that clip on youtube a couple days ago. After watching the clip and questionable call, I was curious about what other Auburn fans thought of the call all these years later. I don't know where you get the idea that I was blaming the refs for this loss because I was not. This call could have gone either way. Besides, we lost five games that year and didn't go to a bowl. So why would I worry myself sick over this particular Georgia game that was meaningless in hindsight? Sure, the loss was painful at the time, but hell, I was 13 then. I think I'm over it now. And yes, it's the offseason. What else are we gonna talk about?

My two thoughts:

I never said that game still bothers me. In fact, I had completely forgotten about the '92 Georgia game until I saw that clip on youtube a couple days ago. After watching the clip and questionable call, I was curious about what other Auburn fans thought of the call all these years later. I don't know where you get the idea that I was blaming the refs for this loss because I was not. This call could have gone either way. Besides, we lost five games that year and didn't go to a bowl. So why would I worry myself sick over this particular Georgia game that was meaningless in hindsight? Sure, the loss was painful at the time, but hell, I was 13 then. I think I'm over it now. And yes, it's the offseason. What else are we gonna talk about?

All's cool....again, I didn't mean to sound as if I was calling you out or anything, and I have no problem with the thread. I just infered that you were blaming the refs since you asked specifically about them and titled the thread "Georgia steals victory". But no offense intended.

I don't mind the title because I feel UGA was "cheated" out of several games the last 15 years.....

A specific one would be this game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1mwd5hnldc

His knee is clearly down...His shoulder is clearly down...he is clearly down....now, maybe we wouldn't have scored on Tech...ala AU in 2001...but I think we would have and thus feel UGA got cheated out of that game.

With that said, I have always said that a W is a W no matter how you get it.

I just like to complain when we lose and say a W is a W whenever we win ;)

My two thoughts:

All's cool....again, I didn't mean to sound as if I was calling you out or anything, and I have no problem with the thread. I just infered that you were blaming the refs since you asked specifically about them and titled the thread "Georgia steals victory". But no offense intended.

Sorry, that was the actual title of the youtube clip. I should have clarified it. Thanks.

Wow. That was the year before my freshman year at Auburn as I came in during the 93 year. The refs should have stopped the clock. That's terrible. I'm not sure there would have rivaled a painful loss like that one. The only thing for me that could even be close was the Ga. AU tie in 1994 after we had won 20 in a row. That toss from Zier to that Breadtruck where he split the defense and took it to the house for about a 70 yard td just about ripped my heart out. Okay it did. War Eagle. Oh yeah and the Charles Johnson catch from David Greene. I think it was 2002. That was a tough one to swallow as well. This is a great rivalry and the games are almost always close.

That was my freshman year at AU. I remember all of us standing around in disbelief. It's like the commentators were saying: nobody was comprehending that it was over. Wasn't it drizzling rain that day?

I was in Knoxville Pat Dye's first year, when the clock ran out on us at the Tennessee 1 yard line with no timeouts.

I was in Auburn 12 years later when the clock ran out on us at the Georgia 1 yard line, no timeouts.

Pat Dye did a lot of great things for Auburn, bless his heart, but I sure do wish he'd saved one timeout in each of those games.

Good call. I get all the Johnsons mixed up...Our DB had feet of clay on that play and Johnson clearly didn't...

Michael Johnson was the WR...Charles Johnson was our DE last year who got drafted by the Panthers ;)

I'm still mad about the terrible officiating in the '06 AU v. GA game at JHS. What terrible calls! We got robbed! <_<

I was in Knoxville Pat Dye's first year, when the clock ran out on us at the Tennessee 1 yard line with no timeouts.

I was in Auburn 12 years later when the clock ran out on us at the Georgia 1 yard line, no timeouts.

Pat Dye did a lot of great things for Auburn, bless his heart, but I sure do wish he'd saved one timeout in each of those games.

We had the same issue with timeouts in Knoxville in '87 (20-20 tie)...we were in range for what would have been a long FG (~50 yds), but we couldn't kill the clock in time. That was in the "pre-spike" era when you had to wing the ball out of bounds.

I had just moved to Texas and the '92 AU-UGA game wasn't on out here, so I've never seen that clip...I'll have to watch it and see what I think, but overall I agree with quietfan. Blaming the officials for a loss is weak.

Archived