Alaskan Crab Fishermen Are Wusses...

Electricity and high places. Two of my least favorite things. If only he had been carrying a ventriloquist dummy we could have had all of my biggest childhood fears in one place.

Electricity and high places. Two of my least favorite things. If only he had been carrying a ventriloquist dummy we could have had all of my biggest childhood fears in one place.

Electricity, Heights, Clowns he would have had my trifecta.

That was not cool. I had to stop watching it as soon as I saw and heard the electricity.

There are two things that I can see or hear that makes me cringe and that is snakes and electricity.

Snakes because I have been snake bitten before by one of the nasty of the species.

Electricity because I have been unfortunate enough to be tagged by enough voltage to knock me on my ass. So, ever since then, the sound or sight of electricity is something I can't stand. Gives me the "willies" just talking about it.

The electricity wouldn't bother me, I think I'd be more nervous about the possibiity of the helicopter's rotor tangling with the lines if there was the slightest downdraft or gust.

Heights to me are a weird thing. This video didn't bother me, but views with a large structure immediately adjacent will make me shiver and close my eyes (because of scale, I suppose): things like base jumpers climbing into position to jump, movie scenes on the edge of skyscraper roofs or ledges, high rise window washers. (The telephoto close ups of 9/11 victims jumping from the upper floors of the World Trade Towers were terrible.) Skydiving views, aircraft views, or these wires with no large structure nearby don't bother me however.

Man, that was freakin' unreal! One of the cooles things I've seen in a while. I wonder which guy was the 1st guy to try climbing out of a helicopter and onto live wires. ( I hope his widow was taken care of. )

Just curious, if anyone knows:

What exactly is he trying to fix? I mean, what can go wrong with what appears 2" or better diameter cables still strong enough to support your weight that a single man can fix? Or, what can one man do for giant insulators strong enough to support these cables without become the short circuit between the cable and tower himself?

Archived