Compare Pat Dye to CTT in recruiting

Wishbone

It seems to me that CTT does a good job of coaching up players that are not heavily sought after, while Dye just recruited the best players available and instilled a hard-nosed mentality.

I think if CTT could land some big time recruits, like Dye did year-in year-out, We could be playing for the NC every year.

Dye learned under Bryant, hard nosed edged football. CTT has always been kind of a pascifict. I Auburn had not a string of good years CTT would have hit the road. I have always thought of CTT as a kind of wimpish character with no tenacity. Like when he hurt his neck and walked around the sidelines with his hands on his hips. girlish. he should act like a Demon and recruit the best their is and then put the fear of god in them.

Dye learned under Bryant....

I loved Coach Dye and his teams, and am not accusing him personally of anything. However, when it comes to recruiting and looking at the history of many of Bear's disciples vs. the NCAA, I'd guess they learned a few more things from Bryant than just "hard nosed football".

I'm not quite sure where all these questions about CTTs recruiting are coming from. His classes are consistently some of the tops in the nation. Did anyone pay attention to this year's class? Did you even notice how many of these kids were playing in the biggest all-star games high school football has to offer? Do you have a clue how many young men that CTT recruited are playing in the NFL right now?

The wimpy and girlish comments don't even need to be addressed. If you want to know how much discipline, toughness, agression etc. is instilled in these kids....go to practice. That will tell you all you need to know about that. Go to a Yoxall seminar. That will tell you how hard these kids work. This team has more SEC wins than any team in our conference since 2000. Not quite sure what you guys are wanting. And don't forget, Dye was one more 8-4 season away from being run off himself after Texas A&M blew their doors in.

Guest Tigrinum Major

It seems to me that CTT does a good job of coaching up players that are not heavily sought after, while Dye just recruited the best players available and instilled a hard-nosed mentality.

I think if CTT could land some big time recruits, like Dye did year-in year-out, We could be playing for the NC every year.

Stop drinking now. You'll thank me later.

Not to lend credence to your hypothesis, but if true, why didn't Dye compete for the national championship each year?

Dye learned under Bryant, hard nosed edged football. CTT has always been kind of a pascifict. I Auburn had not a string of good years CTT would have hit the road. I have always thought of CTT as a kind of wimpish character with no tenacity. Like when he hurt his neck and walked around the sidelines with his hands on his hips. girlish. he should act like a Demon and recruit the best their is and then put the fear of god in them.

So, you want a coach more like this cat:

orgeron.jpg

The picture of Coach O, scared me a little, maybe I willl retract the earlier statements. Auburn has had some great recruiting classes of late, and our off the field incidents is spetacular when you look at Bama , and Miami.

Were you drunk when you wrote this?

In addition to it being ridiculous, it's riddled with so many errors I first thought a bama fan had written it.

Reconsider and delete your post. I'll delete this response once you have.

Pat Dye had a few years of "burning up the road" recruiting, especially the year he signed Bo Jackson, Jeff Parks, Tommy Agee, Alex Dudchock, et al., but Pat didn't go after the 5 star players either year in and year out. He believed that too many 5 star players wouldn't make a solid foundation for a team because of talent issues and team unity. He preferred to recruit several super talented players and then sign some of what he called "blue collar" players to "coach up" and "instill the killer instinct in" to round out the team. That concept worked well for him. Never believe what Bryant used to say when he cried about his little ole skinny leg boys, etc. Bryant once said: "you can't make chicken salid out of chicken feathers" meaning the talent has to be there to work with. He signed the best players he could get and usually got what he wanted. Auburn was usually left in the cold,especially in the 60's and 70's.

Historically, CTT signs more 5 star players each year than Dye did. He also has a talent for evaluating players and finding that "certain something" that makes one believe that the player could be special. He isn't as hard nosed as Dye but then again, the game has changed some since the Dye era. Dye despised passing just as Bryant did and as such, hard nosed linemen were needed to move the football. He also believed in a brutal defense and a sound kicking game just as CTT does. Put all these factors together and CTT and Dye and similar in a number of respects. Each have their strong points and weak points but altogether, they are and were outstanding football coaches and we were and are fortunate to have them.

I do believe that our powers that be could make a stronger effort to secure wider national publicity for the school which would counter some of the negative pub we have gotten in the past as well as negate some of the hateful comments made by Finescum and others in the local Bammer loving media. This would help recruiting as well. IMO, we have to protect our recruiting territory and should remain competetive in-state. Failure to do so will weaken our recruiting base and give the Bammers an advantage because their recruiting base has historically been wider than ours to begin with. We can't concede the local talent to them. I hope CTT answers this challenge in a vigorous way.

HERE

HERE

I'm guessing that will leave a mark of some sort. A mild chafing, if nothing else.

I guess you had to grow up watching how physically dominant Auburn was in the 80's. We were the toughest guys on the block in the SEC and no one ever questioned it. In some ways CTT is a better coach in terms of coaching schemes, but Dye definitely gave his team a hard-nose mentality that is rare to achieve. I think overall, Dye had more talent, especially in the trench and especially on the DL.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I guess you had to grow up watching how physically dominant Auburn was in the 80's. We were the toughest guys on the block in the SEC and no one ever questioned it. In some ways CTT is a better coach in terms of coaching schemes, but Dye definitely gave his team a hard-nose mentality that is rare to achieve. I think overall, Dye had more talent, especially in the trench and especially on the DL.

So, why didn't Dye compete for the National Championship season in season out?

So, why didn't Dye compete for the National Championship season in season out?

I thought he did.

AU was in legitimate contention in 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 and 1990.

Won it in 1983 by any reasonable estimation. Couldn't do any more than AU did. Ended the season 1st.

Got to #5 in 1986 before coughing up a 17-0 lead on the road at Florida on a two-point conversion dammit. Ended the season 6th.

Started 5th in 1987. Got to #3 before a tie at Tennessee. Stayed at 5 or 6 until FSU drubbed AU. Tied Syracuse in the Sugar ending their national title chance. Ended the season 7th.

Started 7th in 1988. Were 4th going to Baton Rouge and would have ended up second by the next week had AU not played it too close to the vest. Lost 7-6 to the stinking Bayou Bengals. Notre Dame knocked off Miami the following week. AU would have gotten the Irish in the Sugar instead of FSU. And won. Dammit. Ended the season 8th.

Started 8th in 1989. Got to 4th before losing to stinking ass Tennessee. Ended the season 6th.

Started the season 3rd in 1991 with a freshman under center (Stan White). Jumped to second in week 2, then tied Tennessee. Dropped to 5th. Got back up to 2nd. Then the wheels came off. Freshman starter in the SEC? Eric @!#($@!#& Ramsey? Donald @*%#@& Watkins? A seriously ill Dye? Too much to ask. Three losses in the last five games dropped AU to 19th.

For those keeping track, from January 1, 1986 when AU lost the Cotton Bowl to Texas A&M until December 29, 1990 when AU beat Indiana in the Peach Bowl, Auburn was in the Top Ten for 41 of 60 weeks (season weeks). AU was in the Top 15 for 54 of 60 weeks. AU was in the Top 20 for 59 of 60 weeks.

I think Tuberville has done an excellent job with this team. I'm perfectly happy with his leadership and don't waste a lot of time wishing he was Dye or vice versa. All I'm going to say is that I lived through those years. And they were every bit as good as what we're living through now. How easy it is to forget.

Also remember that AU beat UA four straight during this period. After the fourth win -- and AU moving the series out of Birmingham to Auburn -- Donald Watkins and pals dug until they uncovered a golddigging skank named Twiletta. With implicit backing by UA boosters, Watkins and his crew set about systematically trying to destroy Dye. Because they feared him. They're afraid of Tuberville now.

I did have a round of Bud last night. It affected my judgment tremendously. Please disregard my post.

I did have a round of Bud last night. It affected my judgment tremendously. Please disregard my post.

Too late. You started something. You made me laugh with this, though.

HERE

I'm guessing that will leave a mark of some sort. A mild chafing, if nothing else.

I don't think Tuberville is as hard-nosed as Dye, but I do think that Tuberville's assistants, particularly Muschamp and Nall are. Tuberville is a CEO and he lets his assistants do the coaching and asschewing.

• 3 weeks later...

HERE

I don't think Tuberville is as hard-nosed as Dye, but I do think that Tuberville's assistants, particularly Muschamp and Nall are. Tuberville is a CEO and he lets his assistants do the coaching and asschewing.

I really don't know about Muschamp's coaching ability. When I say I don't know, I don't know. It's not that I'm saying I think he isn't good in a discrete way. He must be pretty good, at least. from looking at his past jobs. But there were some questionable defenses last year, even to the untrained eye. That being said, I saw him get into a d.b.'s face (approx. 1.5" away) and scream obscenities during the A-Day game..after a blown coverage. I loved it. He needed it and I'm sure he's better for it. I like his intensity and I think it's contagious. :cheer::au:

Archived