OLDEST AE MEMBER

Just a hint.  I wasn't a brother but I spent alot of time at the ATO house.  They were frowned uopn around that time.  It was a blast.  That is one reason I spent only three years there and was a long way from being a Junior. 

Just a hint.  I wasn't a brother but I spent alot of time at the ATO house.  They were frowned uopn around that time.  It was a blast.  That is one reason I spent only three years there and was a long way from being a Junior.   

In my day, ATO was a class act!!!  Had the best girls!!

In my day, ATO was a class act!!!  Had the best girls!!

Oh, it still had the best girls.  Good girls like bad boys!!  :thumbsup:

Like I said I got enought to write a book.

One day at Sewell Hall dorm where the jocks lived. I came in the parking lot to park in my car. No it was not a free car. David sob Langer was washing his car. So I'm minding my own business and the SOB decides to stray my car. Bad ideal on my part because I get out and say a few choice words. David had a little temper and would fight the biggest baddest guys around. Next I know his got me on the ground holding me by my shirt collar. Lucky for me I had friends on the offensive line who saw it but they lived on the second floor. Chuck Flecher 'sp' one of the lineman weighted about 300lbs came down just in time to save my a**. True story less then 45 minutes later Langer see me again like nothing ever happen. All I can say about David is he was the dirtiest player around in practice and games. I will tell another story about him and when we played UGA in Auburn later. 

One day at Sewell Hall dorm where the jocks lived. I came in the parking lot to park in my car. No it was not a free car. David sob Langer was washing his car. So I'm minding my own business and the SOB decides to stray my car. Bad ideal on my part because I get out and say a few choice words. David had a little temper and would fight the biggest baddest guys around. Next I know his got me on the ground holding me by my shirt collar. Lucky for me I had friends on the offensive line who saw it but they lived on the second floor. Chuck Flecher 'sp' one of the lineman weighted about 300lbs came down just in time to save my a**. True story less then 45 minutes later Langer see me again like nothing ever happen. All I can say about David is he was the dirtiest player around in practice and games. I will tell another story about him and when we played UGA in Auburn later. 

He was a bad a--!!!  I used to know his brothers pretty well.  They could tell some stories about him.  I think today he would be diagnosed as bipolar.   

He was a bad a--!!!   I used to know his brothers pretty well.  They could tell some stories about him.  I think today he would be diagnosed as bipolar.   

No doubt about it. The guy was a frickin nut case.

Question for you guys?  How does David Langer and one of the most famous plays in our history relate?

pops look at my avatar you got your answer along with Roger trying to block the punt. Who block the extra point so the turds only scored 16 instead of 17

pops look at my avatar you got your answer along with Roger trying to block the punt. Who block the extra point so the turds only scored 16 instead of 17

You got me.  I'll know it when you tell me.  Is Langer #25?  Help me, I can't remember the other players!!  BTW  I WAS THERE!!!

You got me.  I'll know it when you tell me.  Is Langer #25?  Help me, I can't remember the other players!!  BTW   I WAS THERE!!!

Bill Newton blocked both punts didn't he?

You got me.  I'll know it when you tell me.  Is Langer #25?  Help me, I can't remember the other players!!  BTW   I WAS THERE!!!

Bill Newton blocked both punts didn't he?

Yes Bill blocked both punts and Roger Mitchum blocked the extrs point. Roger is number 25. David's number is 27 if memory serves me well

• Like 1

With out a doubt,this is the BEST thread Ive ever read on AE.

Living history guys,thanks for sharing.My father knew some guys who knew Langner,and he said he was the meanest guy he had ever known,he was one of those guys that would fight a lamp post for shining light in his eyes.

Another story.

A friend of mind on the team, not a starter, had a blind date with a girl from Leighton, Al., well it turned out to be Phil Gargis ex. girlfriend. Phil would be Auburns starting QB the following year. They were out partying having a good time. Well next think you know Phil comes out of the blue and sucker punches him. Knocked out cold. Gargis starts kicking him and continue to punch him. Gargis leaves with the ex. I get a call and haul a** to find my friend. Had to take him to the hospital and let Shug know what happen. Now what happens next I can not verify 100%. I called some members of the team , sorry no names, to let them know what happen. About 3:00am the next morning a few off. linemen pulled Gargis out of his room took him out of Auburn to some woods. My understanding is they had a heart to heart talk. No one hit Gargis. I was later told that Shug had made this suggestion.

Im 26 and rising! Yall better watch out.

I'm  66 and not rising as much as I used to!!!

Are you still in contact with him?  :dunno:

We stayed in touch occasionally up until 10 years or so ago.  I might see if a can contact him right now.

You guys make me feel like Methuselah . I am a proud 72 and working on 90 or so. My favorite football memory was the entire 1957 season. We had the most dominant defense I have ever seen. Guys like Jackie Burket, Zeke Smith, Jerry Wilson, et.al. made the defense absoultelu vicious. They allowed less than 3 points a game. Otherwise, the first game with Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley was memorable, as was their entire career. The 17-16 game is one I will never forget, particularly since Auburn had not crossed the fifty yardline until the field goal. Too many memories to list. By the way ATO was one of the top fratenrities during that time and I was proud to be a member.

You guys make me feel like Methuselah . I am a proud 72 and working on 90 or so. My favorite football memory was the entire 1957 season. We had the most dominant defense I have ever seen. Guys like Jackie Burket, Zeke Smith, Jerry Wilson, et.al. made the defense absoultelu vicious. They allowed less than 3 points a game. Otherwise, the first game with Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley was memorable, as was their entire career. The 17-16 game is one I will never forget, particularly since Auburn had not crossed the fifty yardline until the field goal. Too many memories to list. By the way ATO was one of the top fratenrities during that time and I was proud to be a member.

Thankfully, I have been topped by AU60!!!  Let me ask you about the 57 team; do you have any Bobby Hoppe stories?  I have one but not sure if I have it right because I wasn't there.

I thought at the time that Bobby Hoppe was the meanest guy in the world, on and off the field. He had to get permission from his parole officer to leave Tennessee. The story was that he was on probation for manslaughter. I believe he was driving a truck in Chattanoga during the summer and he started across a picket line to make his delivery. A big guy jumped up on the running board and threatened him and he shot him, then drove in and made his delivery. I think that story was basicly true. Back then the football players stayed in a group of cabins near the stadium with usually four to the cabin. One night a group in another cabin got to partying and were making a good bit of noise and Hoppe fired off four or five shots from his 45 in the general direction of the other cabin and advised them that he was trying to study and to be quiet. It did get very quiet.

I thought at the time that Bobby Hoppe was the meanest guy in the world, on and off the field. He had to get permission from his parole officer to leave Tennessee. The story was that he was on probation for manslaughter. I believe he was driving a truck in Chattanoga during the summer and he started across a picket line to make his delivery. A big guy jumped up on the running board and threatened him and he shot him, then drove in and made his delivery. I think that story was basicly true. Back then the football players stayed in a group of cabins near the stadium with usually four to the cabin. One night a group in another cabin got to partying and were making a good bit of noise and Hoppe fired off four or five shots from his 45 in the general direction of the other cabin and advised them that he was trying to study and to be quiet. It did get very quiet.

For those who don't know, those cabins were named "Graves Centre" and were located in a grove of trees just above what is now Plainsman Park.  Shug felt he could keep better tabs on the players if they lived in separate living areas.  The story I heard was the Hoppe shot a toilet from underneath a freshman player while he was , well, you know.....