OLDEST AE MEMBER

You guys make me feel like Methuselah . I am a proud 72 and working on 90 or so. My favorite football memory was the entire 1957 season. We had the most dominant defense I have ever seen. Guys like Jackie Burket, Zeke Smith, Jerry Wilson, et.al. made the defense absoultelu vicious. They allowed less than 3 points a game. Otherwise, the first game with Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley was memorable, as was their entire career. The 17-16 game is one I will never forget, particularly since Auburn had not crossed the fifty yardline until the field goal. Too many memories to list. By the way ATO was one of the top fratenrities during that time and I was proud to be a member.

You were an ATO. We had a few battles with them in 70 and 71. Finally the University made us make peace. Well it was kinda peace instead of doing the battles between the 2 frat house buildings we had to go outside Auburn city limits. By the time I got my degree I had several friends who were ATO's.

Were you an SAE? We had a few battles with them when I was there.

No I was a Theta Chi

Wow! I opened the 1st page of this thread just to simply check to see if in fact Pops is the oldest, and found that this is one of the greatest all-time threads. I got sucked in and ended up reading all 6 pages word for word. Thanks to Pops for starting this, and to Golf for the 1st response (in which he said "I don't think this will get many replies". Haha. All of you have shared some wonderful, and eye-opening stories.

As for myself, I'm 26 (Sept. 27, 1983). As far as I know, that's the same age as WarEagle4Ever and GA. I'd say that's some pretty good company.

Wow! I opened the 1st page of this thread just to simply check to see if in fact Pops is the oldest, and found that this is one of the greatest all-time threads. I got sucked in and ended up reading all 6 pages word for word. Thanks to Pops for starting this, and to Golf for the 1st response (in which he said "I don't think this will get many replies". Haha. All of you have shared some wonderful, and eye-opening stories.

As for myself, I'm 26 (Sept. 27, 1983). As far as I know, that's the same age as WarEagle4Ever and GA. I'd say that's some pretty good company.

From where I sit, you are , indeed, in good company.  WDE!!!

OUCH!!! DJ, your GRANDMOTHER????? Boy that hurt. Couldn't you least have said your mother. JK. Well I am sure she has some stories. That was a great time to be at Auburn. I think the boy/girl ratio back then was 4:1, not in our favor, so I am sure she had a great time. They were pretty strict on the girls back then however, especially if they lived in one of the dorms which most did. They had to be in by 8:30 during the week and 9:15 if they made their grades which was a 1.0. We were on the 3.0 system back then. I don't know what is going on with the rules these days but I am sure things have changed tremendously. Also, I bet the ratio has improved  :thumbsup:

Ha,ha! Sorry, slammer!! Didn't mean to make you feel old! I save those shots for augolf!  ;) If it makes you feel any better, my grandmother was aslready in her 30's when she went to AU! She had already graduated from Jax St. and then went on to AU to get her teaching degree later on.

I found a couple of highlight films with some "vintage" footage on them... they're NOT the best quality, but are still pretty good! Check 'em out:

Glad I was incorrect on that prediction.

augolf1716, I see in your profile you live in Buford. Did you play on AU's golf team? I live at Chestatee up in Dawson county. In fact the 18th fairway is about 100 yds from me. If you would like to play sometime please let me know. I have a group that plays 3 times a week on Mon, Tue and Thurs, but if you are 52 you might still be working and not be able to make it during the week. We have some pretty good shooters in the group (ie low 70's). Anyway let me know if you are interested. On another note, I went to an alumni meeting about a month or so ago at a boys ranch just south of gainesville off Mcever road. Ted Roof and Randy Campbell were the guest speakers. In fact both of them were at our table. I was just wondering if you were in attendance. As you probably know Randy was our QB for our 1983 SEC Championship team.

DJ, no problem. I thought not all the facts were visible, either that or she was a slow learner  ;D Also, being 30 I doubt seriously if she stayed in a dorm. I don't think a 30 year old woman would like being told they had to be in by 8:30. 

augolf1716, I see in your profile you live in Buford. Did you play on AU's golf team? I live at Chestatee up in Dawson county. In fact the 18th fairway is about 100 yds from me. If you would like to play sometime please let me know. I have a group that plays 3 times a week on Mon, Tue and Thurs, but if you are 52 you might still be working and not be able to make it during the week. We have some pretty good shooters in the group (ie low 70's). Anyway let me know if you are interested. On another note, I went to an alumni meeting about a month or so ago at a boys ranch just south of gainesville off Mcever road. Ted Roof and Randy Campbell were the guest speakers. In fact both of them were at our table. I was just wondering if you were in attendance. As you probably know Randy was our QB for our 1983 SEC Championship team.

Yes I played at Auburn. I retired over 3 years ago also I'm 58 grad of 1974. I would love dearly to play golf with you and the guys but I physically can't play anymore.  :'( Haven't been able to play in the last 5 years. Sounds like you got show good golfers in your group. Chestatt is a fun course to play. I have played all over the country but most of my favorites are in the south. 

augolf, I am so sorry you can't play anymore, what a bummer. I thought I might be in the same boat 3 or 4 years ago. I have a back problem that when I played the pain would be excrutiating. It wasn't the twisting motion of the golf swing but the walking up and down hills that got me. During my flying career in the Marine Corps I pulled a lot of G's (dog fighting, acrobatics etc.) and was not always in an erect position in the cockpit and it just took its toll on my spine and discs over the years. Cart path only would just kill me. I started taking glucosimin daily and that has given me some relief. At least I can make it through a round and still feel fairly good. I take hydrocodone during the round and it really makes a difference. BTW I have two Auburn careers. The second one started when I got out of the Marine Corps in Sep of 1973. I just wanted to finish what I started back in 1957. I graduated in Aug of 1975 so we were there at the same time. The place had sure changed since the first time. We never had any streakers in '57  ;D Well its too bad we can't play a round but I understand. I will have to quit sooner or later.  >:(

augolf, I am so sorry you can't play anymore, what a bummer. I thought I might be in the same boat 3 or 4 years ago. I have a back problem that when I played the pain would be excrutiating. It wasn't the twisting motion of the golf swing but the walking up and down hills that got me. During my flying career in the Marine Corps I pulled a lot of G's (dog fighting, acrobatics etc.) and was not always in an erect position in the cockpit and it just took its toll on my spine and discs over the years. Cart path only would just kill me. I started taking glucosimin daily and that has given me some relief. At least I can make it through a round and still feel fairly good. I take hydrocodone during the round and it really makes a difference. BTW I have two Auburn careers. The second one started when I got out of the Marine Corps in Sep of 1973. I just wanted to finish what I started back in 1957. I graduated in Aug of 1975 so we were there at the same time. The place had sure changed since the first time. We never had any streakers in '57  ;D Well its too bad we can't play a round but I understand. I will have to quit sooner or later.  >:(

slammer just call me golf from now its earier also I was at Haley Center when Auburn's first streaker appeared. He was a Lamaba Chi I knew so I had some inside info. I was shocked that he went thru with it.  :-X I was waiting next to the car that picked him up at the end of the concourse.

DJ, thanks for the videos. I think the first play of the second one is Jackie Burkett intercepting a pass and taking it to the house. My old snooker buddy. You may or may not know but they played both ways back then and I am not talking about sexual oreintation. In this modern age that statement might be taken the wrong way. But don't get me started on that. As I have told golf, I had two AU experiences, the second one being from 1973 to 1975. So your grandmother doesn't have anything on me. I was 36 when I graduated.  ;D I really enjoy this board. NO turds to put up with.  :thumbsup:

Yes...yes you are in good company!    ;D:thumbsup:

That could be debatable 4Ever j/k  j/k

:laugh:  :laugh:  I was thinking the same thing.

:laugh:   :laugh:  I was thinking the same thing.

>:(:laugh: :laugh:

This thread has been an absolute pleasure to read. I love hearing these old stories, I got lost in just reading this thread. Please keep the stories coming. WDE!

In the mid-70s, I took a date to homecoming.  Took her to the "tourist plaza" atop Haley Center to view the campus before the game.  I pointed to the shop buildings and noted that I was walking between #2 and #3, in 1963, when I saw a couple listening to a hand-held radio.  They were mortified so I asked what was going on: they said President Kennedy had just been shot!!  My date said, "You were in college when he was asassinated? How old are you?  I said I was 30, and asked how how old she was and where she was when that terrible event happened.  She said she was in her 5th grade classroom!!!  We had just started dated, but I could have been arrested for........  She was 19 at the time.  I seriously considered jumping from the observation platform, but wanted to see the game, so I didn't.

Just reading the thread on student section, and it reminded me:  In 1965 we were playing Steve Spurrier-led Florida, he had just won the Heisman the previous year, they were highly ranked, and we had 2 or 3 losses. I secured my seat in the student section, found the Coke boy and bought the entire rack for myself and a couple of my frat brothers.  We had already started our pre-game partying before entering JHS, but had managed to get my close friend, Jack Daniels, into the stadium without a ticket.  He needed the Cokes as his companion.  Somehow, an elderly lady managed to find a seat behind us, with her little stadium seat,  to our left, in the middle of the student section!!  The game was extremely exciting, and when Bill Cody recovered a fumble for a TD, I spilled my friend and his companion all over the lady.  When Cody intercepted Spurrier for another TD, I  doused her again!! Bless her heart, everytime Auburn made a big play, she would get her program and cover her face.  But she hung in there for the whole game. It was the first and only time Auburn ever wore jerseys with four numbers on them!!!

Good storys pops. I'll post a few later. I can't believe you could actually get your friend in for free.

Security was a lot looser back then.  Someday, I'll share places where I've hidden my friend to get past them!!!

Good storys pops. I'll post a few later. I can't believe you could actually get your friend in for free.

Security was a lot looser back then.  Someday, I'll share places where I've hidden my friend to get past them!!!

Oh I know. Back then you could get just anything you wanted to inside the stadium