Changes coming to NCAA

WarEagle84

Interesting article on SBNation. It looks like we're going to end up with a 2-tier system in FBS after tomorrow's vote. They should just go ahead and split it into 2 divisions. IMO 128 teams is too many in one classification.

Everything you need to know about the NCAA's coming major changes

Between the five power conferences likely being able to make their own rules and the flurry of unions, lawsuits, and other court battles, the NCAA has reached the end of an era.

On April 24, the NCAA Board of Directors is expected to approve a new governance model, including some major changes. And on April 25, Northwestern football players will vote on whether to form a union, now that they're legally employees.

Adding these to the organization's many other ongoing legal issues can make things confusing, so we're assembling this guide. We will continue to update this as needed. If you have anything you would like to see added or updated, please let us know in the comments.

Potential policy changes: Big 5 autonomyPermissible vs. actionable legislationFull-cost scholarshipsFour-year scholarshipsEducational trustCountable hoursLong-term medical coverageBenefits and agentsExtended due processTransfer rules

Legal issues: CAPAEd O'Bannon lawsuitConcussion lawsuitsKessler lawsuitInjunction vs. damagesTitle IX

I don't know. I remember when NCAA power brokering shifted from coaches to the college presidents, everybody thought it would change everything, that fairness and objective reason would suddenly rule the day, that bowl selection would be pristine, that the lawyers were behind it and would have a field day, blah, blah, blah. In the end the money still rules the day, infraction findings and even investigations against the big programs are still less likely, 18-22 year olds are just as unsophisticated and fans still tune in. Specifically, IMO the union issue as it applies to college football is a lot of posturing without much substance and in the end it will have little if any visible impact on the game (I mean, Northwestern? Wo! Please, please don't unionize Vandy too).

There are changes coming but it will only be taht big money is more and more in control and the sacred cows are even more sacrosanct.

NCAA bowing down so that the Big 5 don't jump ship. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic - giving the Big 5 recliners on the Lido Deck.

This business about the Big 5 is a joke to me.

Do folks really think there is athletic parity from top to bottom in the SEC or ACC? Let's put Wake Forest's budget up against Alabama for example and see if the Deacs can really afford all the luxuries that the Tide will shower on their athletes....and the same goes for every conference where several schools are just hanging on financially...and just hanging around in order to get a share of the financial pie that the conference splits each year.

When the Big 5 conferences open the door to more amenities for their athletes, several schools in each league will be forced out....or just will see themselves falling further behind the top handful. Total AD income in the Big 10...Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State dwarf Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois. And the Pac 12 where no school exceeds $100M per year and most have total revenue that is less than 1/3rd of Bama.

I'm just saying that breaking this up into the so-called large schools and the rest of Div 1 does nothing to eliminate the huge differences within those Big 5 conferences ....and will not bring anything approaching parity within the leagues.

Take a look at the top 50 athletic programs at the link below and notice how many of the Big 5 Conferences schools are nowhere to be found...and look how quickly the numbers drop.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/21/top-50-highest-athletics-department-revenues/

It would be nice to have some revenue sharing arrangement with the conferences that would give the Vandys and Wake Forests a larger share to help them compete better. I doubt the Bamas or even Auburns would be on board with that, but in the long run it is beneficial to have a more competitive league.

It would be nice to have some revenue sharing arrangement with the conferences that would give the Vandys and Wake Forests a larger share to help them compete better. I doubt the Bamas or even Auburns would be on board with that, but in the long run it is beneficial to have a more competitive league.

Vandy has always been the wealthiest school in our conference, Wake Forest is far from the poor's as well. Money is NOT the reason those schools are poor competitors in football. The SEC better not give Vandy one red cent more than what the rest of the teams get.

Vandy has always been the wealthiest school in our conference, Wake Forest is far from the poor's as well. Money is NOT the reason those schools are poor competitors in football. The SEC better not give Vandy one red cent more than what the rest of the teams get.

I could be wrong but I think this is about more than football.

As for wealth, Vandy is indeed a wealthy school but does not necessarily spend that endowment on athletics though it does subsidize baseball and some other minor sports. But as the cost of providing a competitive football team increases, I think we can look for the amount of money being spent on other sports to decrease. My prediction is that in their effort to stay competitive in football, fewer schools will sponsor the low or non-revenue sports gymnastics, swimming,golf, track and perhaps some others in the years ahead.

Back in the day when I was in HS in south Alabama we had baseball, football and basketball....that was it. So maybe we are headed back to that....and to having many more Div II and Div III schools.

Archived