Really Alabama?

Texan4Auburn

Could have put that to use somewhere else. Silly.

They only get to use it for 5 years? And only to use the phrase and not the song.......

So, $'s been paid to be able to put the slogan on official state signs.

For 5 years.

And when that period is over, what ? Pay for another 5 years ? Pull all those signs down, and print up brand new ones, with out the slogan ??

What's the math on all that ?

I am NO fan of the Gov. we have today......or some of the boneheads in Montgomery. Waste of money.

I enjoyed reading the comments. ;D/>

I guess it was cheaper than going to court. I wonder who the check is made out to?

From the tax payers of the state of Alabama to the stock holders of Universal Records.

I guess it was cheaper than going to court. I wonder who the check is made out to?

From the tax payers of the state of Alabama to the stock holders of Universal Records.

Ah so.

Ironic that Alabama would need to pay Universal Records - wherever they are based - money to use the term "sweet home Alabama".

I wonder what the phrase "eat a peach" is worth? ;D

Ah so.

Ironic that Alabama would need to pay Universal Records - wherever they are based - money to use the term "sweet home Alabama".

I wonder what the phrase "eat a peach" is worth? ;D/>

Lol!!!! Thank God SC has the Palmetto locked up. :)

I don't know what the math is but I hate that song. Bama ruined it for me.

Amen to that.

ABSOLUTELY!

It was a great song, with one of the classic opening riffs of all time. Now I'm not sure you can hear it anywhere on the planet with some idiot throwing in a "Roll, Tide, Roll!"

Meanwhile, $75,000 /5 years = $15,000 a year just for the rights, plus as Raptor said, the expense of replacing all current signs and presumably more copyright fees or all new signs after five years. Just to have some silly slogan? I can't speak for others, but if I'm a tourist driving across state lines, no slogan is going to make me stop and spend money if that's not already on my agenda...whether the slogan reads "Alabama the Beautiful", "Sweet Home Alabama", or anything else.

Actually, it could scare off some potential tourists, like possibly Neil Young fans or those whose beliefs align with Neil Young's comments regarding the State. But then I guess we southern men "don't need them [or their tourist dollars] 'round". :rolleyes:

I likes Alabama the Beautiful myself. This is typical of our idiot Governor.

Archived