Spotlight on Shon Coleman

StatTiger

The mere fact Shon Coleman is able to play college football is an amazing story in itself, having courageously battled acute lymphoblastic leukemia to return to the gridiron. Not only did he retun to play the sport he is passionate about, he became the starting left tackle for the defending Southeastern Conference Champions. Coleman replaces All-American Greg Robinson and the Auburn offensive line continues to grind the opponent into submission. Through 2 weeks into the season, Auburn has the No. 10 run-offense and has allowed only 1 sack. Coach J.B. Grimes believes Shon Coleman has the ability and potential to play at the next level (NFL) but for now, Auburn fans can watch him make history on the Plains.

The play...

SJS-ShonColeman_zps514e46fe.jpg

On this play the Auburn offense faces a 4th & 1 from the Spartan's 5-yard line. Auburn will run Cameron Artis-Payne off tackle with Shon Coleman leading the path. At the snap Shon Coleman crashes down on the DE, driving him inside and away from the point of attack. Cameron Artis-Payne takes the hand off, cutting outside to bounce the play to the corner.

After driving the DE inside, Shon Coleman advances to the next level to take on the OLB. He quickly reestablishes his feet and squares his shoulders with the OLB. Coleman remains engaged with the OLB until CAP is turning the corner. Though Coleman might have received a break on not being flagged for holding, this play is a great example of his effort and athletic ability.

He is a sophomore playing time wise. He could play two more years after this. Due to the fact he has already spent several years in college, if he has a good year this year and better one next, I would say he will probably only play one more. JMOFWIW. WDE

He is a sophomore playing time wise. He could play two more years after this. Due to the fact he has already spent several years in college, if he has a good year this year and better one next, I would say he will probably only play one more. JMOFWIW. WDE

And he already has his degree. War Eagle, Shon.

Barring injury, I expect Shon to enter the NFL Draft after this season.

Barring injury, I expect Shon to enter the NFL Draft after this season.

hasn't played enough yet. One more year next year and then go. He can significantly improve his draft position with another year.

Shon will have be close to finishing or already have his Masters degree if he leaves after next year.

Are there any limits imposed by the NCAA or SEC on how many degrees scholarship athletes can earn? Can he get a 2nd masters or would he have to start work on a doctorate?

Archived