i have a coaching question

aubiefifty

when teams are struggling during the season do they play "scared to lose" versus playing all out during some games? i know players have to be tough mentally but i just wonder how hard it can be to keep them at the top of their game mentally. thanx

i often do as well. but at 64 i have no idea how many more auburn games i will get to watch so i enjoy what i can while i can. i know ol miss is ol miss but i sure enjoyed the game. that and i think pulling for your team to lose is bad juju, hoodoo, karma, or whatever.

Don't think a team plays "scared to lose".  

Some players may play 'scared to screw up' from time-to-time.  I think some coaches play scared to lose.  I think that's where we are now.  It's a mindset that increases the chances of losing..

Players go flat out to win always.  You may see a QB playing tentative when he has no confidence (injury, o line personnel, scheme). 

Only coaches make the decision to be cautious based on fear. 

13 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Don't think a team plays "scared to lose".  

Some players may play 'scared to screw up' from time-to-time.  I think some coaches play scared to lose.  I think that's where we are now.  It's a mindset that increases the chances of losing..

This

I played travel, club, varsity, Olympic development, and Division One soccer. I was used to tournaments that meant less than 2 hour turnovers between games at times.

Had to walk away and leave all the negative, the doubts, all that crap on that field immediately.

I think social media makes it harder these days for players to move on. I know when I was at Auburn I did see players reading this very board. This place is very very toxic for an athlete if they are the type that want to worry about fans.

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i often do as well. but at 64 i have no idea how many more auburn games i will get to watch so i enjoy what i can while i can. i know ol miss is ol miss but i sure enjoyed the game. that and i think pulling for your team to lose is bad juju, hoodoo, karma, or whatever.

If any fan is pulling to lose any game he has issues that run deeper than fandom 

Archived