WMD Found

Jenny AU-92

I didn't put the link, as this is the entire article, but I got it off Drudge Report if anyone wants it. Should be interesting if this turns out to be the real deal, hmm?

Kuwait foils smuggling of chemicals, bio warheads from Iraq

Associated Press

Kuwait City, October 2

Kuwaiti security authorities have foiled an attempt to smuggle $60 million worth of chemical weapons and biological warheads from Iraq to an unnamed European country, a Kuwaiti newspaper said on Wednesday.

The pro-Government Al-Siyassah, quoting an unnamed security source, said the suspects had been watched by security since they arrived in Kuwait and were arrested "in due time." It did not say when or how the smugglers entered Kuwait or when they were arrested.

The paper said the smugglers might have had accomplices inside Kuwait. It said Interior Minister Sheik Nawwaf Al Ahmed Al Sabah would hand over the smuggled weapons to an FBI agent at a news conference, but did not say when.

Government officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

Iraqi Interior Minister Nouri Al-Badran met on Tuesday with Sheik Nawwaf and discussed cooperation between the two countries in security matters. His visit is the first by an Iraqi interior minister to Kuwait since 1990.

You'll have to excuse me if I wait for the test results to come back. This is certainly not the first time we've heard of a supposed WMD "discovery." Can't help but remember how the previous bombshells turned out to be ordinary stuff like fertilizer. If this is for real then OK. But I've seen too many BS headlines about WMD discoveries to instantly fall for them all hook-line-and-sinker. When these things have been inspected by experts and confirmed as WMDs then I will accept that. Until then it's just a headline.

P.S. - This is actually not even the first time I've made a post exactly like what I've said here, and then later found out that that previous WMD "discovery" was just a false alarm. Newly breaking stories have proven to be very, very unreliable sources of info where it comes WMDs.

You'll have to excuse me if I wait for the test results to come back. This is certainly not the first time we've heard of a supposed WMD "discovery." Can't help but remember how the previous bombshells turned out to be ordinary stuff like fertilizer. If this is for real then OK. But I've seen too many BS headlines about WMD discoveries to instantly fall for them all hook-line-and-sinker. When these things have been inspected by experts and confirmed as WMDs then I will accept that. Until then it's just a headline.

P.S. - This is actually not even the first time I've made a post exactly like what I've said here, and then later found out that that previous WMD "discovery" was just a false alarm. Newly breaking stories have proven to be very, very unreliable sources of info where it comes WMDs.

That is why I said "if it really happened". :D I think they are out there, but we may never find them. I still think they got moved to Syria. That is why it will not surprise me if we ever find them.

If they don't find WMD, what would it mean to the current administration. It wouldn't look entirely good, I'd say. {just curious what our liberal (Cshine and TigerAl) and conservative (ranger and Jenny) panelists have to say}.

Ok, I'll play. At this point, based on the information we had to work with when the decision was made to go into Iraq, and knowing what we now know about what was going on inside Iraq under Sadaam: If not one single solitary WMD was ever found, then I would still be fine with it. The President did a GOOD THING by going in there and kicking that man's ass outta Dodge, even tho the media and others are not EVER going to make that point. In twenty years, the world, the Middle East and Iraq are going to be a safer, better place for our having made that move. This all just takes time. Kids are back in school, for Pete's sake!!! GIRLS too!! For the first time in decades, there are no political prisoners in Iraqi jails. No mass graves being dug. No brides being raped on their wedidng day in front of their new husbands. No doubt we did the right thing.

To go ahead and address the "Well, there are other places in the world with leaders just as bad, but oil was the only reason we went into Iraq" - YES, there are places in Africa, South America, Asia, etc. that are as bad if not worse, but the strategic importance of Iraq cannot be discounted - it is certainly much more strategic than East Timor. It's location on the Persian Gulf, it's proximity to Israel and YES - it's share/control over a significant portion of the WORLD'S OIL make this a very strategic move for the security of the WORLD, whether France and Germany want to believe this or not.

I still believe that there are WMD in that country - maybe not finished, maybe not lying around waiting for someone to fire them up, but the knowledge and the means were certainly there. To me, the fact remains that because we have gone into that country and done what we did, and disrupted the ongoing development of WMD, an evil, psycho mass murderer will never again have the means or the ability to develop and/or use WMD against his own people, his enemies or the US or any of her allies. My concern now is that the WMD that WERE most certainly there, lying around, ready to go, (as everyone from Bill Clinton himself on down have to admit is true) are now in Syria or Iran, where they were shipped while we were trying to appease the UN and the other peaceniks by using "diplomatic means" we knew would fail to begin with. We bought Hussein time to dump his awful tools - he knew he was going down, and I am sure that in his twisted mind it would be better to share those weapons with anyone who would be sure to use them to take out Americans and Israelies even if he would not have the pleasure of doing that himself.

So as far as I am concerned - the Administration did the right thing and I would support them in doing this again, in Iraq or anywhere else in the world. President Bush will one day be hailed as a great man for taking this step that should have been done a long time ago.

- it's share/control over a significant portion of the WORLD'S OIL make this a very strategic move for the security of the WORLD, whether France and Germany want to believe this or not.

Jenny, I agree with all you say, and it was exactly the politics of oil that motivated France and Germany to defy the US. They wanted to maintain their current illegal contracts with Saddam and potential future contracts after they forced the UN to lift sanctions, so that they could control the oil, not the US. France and Germany put their own economic interests ahead of humanitarian interests, all the while claiming to be the champion of the Iraqi people and playing to the world's peaceniks. This is how asleep and naive the liberals were in the buildup to the war; the liberals in this country and Europe thinking they held the higher moral ground in opposing "war for oil". And this continues to this day, they keep accusing Bush of lying about his motives to free the Iraqi people, whereas it was the French and German Governments that were pulling the wool over the eyes of their own population during that time.

One other point, can you see the situation in 1937 Europe, if Churchill had come to power and then defeated Hitler instead of appeassing him for another 3 years? All of the liberal press would be hounding him because they wouldn't be able to find the Jewish death camps...

Pres Bush today pointed out that while WMD have not yet been found, there is CLEAR evidence that Hussein was blatantly and repeatedly violating the terms of all those bajillion useless UN resolutions:

Bush stressed that while Kay, in his ongoing investigation, has yet to uncover weapons of mass destruction, he found ample evidence that Saddam "was a danger to the world."

"The report states that Saddam Hussein's regime had a clandestine network of biological laboratories, a live strain of deadly agent botulinum, sophisticated concealment efforts and advanced design work on prohibited longer-range missiles."

Kay, speaking to reporters with Levin and Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, R-Va., said that while they hadn't found actual weapons in their first three months of work, "We have found a lot of evidence of the Iraqi regime's intent to continue to acquire weapons of mass destruction.

"We have found significant evidence of continuing in prohibited activities that were hidden from U.N. inspectors, particularly in the biological and missile area; a lot of examples of foreign procurement that went well beyond anything that was known before the war," Kay said.

Might I point out to all the naysayers that under the terms of the ceasefire in 1991, Hussein had to agree to abide by the UN resolutions or else the US and its coalition would have absolute legal grounds to resume suspended hostilities in Iraq. We have CLEAR PROOF that he did not abide in the slightest little bit, so we are legally and morally justified in going in there and kicking his ass even if we never find the first WMD.

And as a side note: another BRILLIANT comment from Ole Teddy Boy:

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., a prominent critic of the Iraq war, said that after listening to Kay he was "convinced more than ever" that the main administration justification for the war — that Iraq posed an imminent threat — was unfounded.

He said the $600 million to hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq could be better spent by devoting $300 million to the search for Osama bin Laden and another $300 million investigating North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

SOmeone PLEASE 'splain to me how we spend $300M to investigate the nuclear weapons program of a closed society that openly admits they have nukes and arean't afraid to use them, when the only reason they have nukes to begin with is because our FABULOUS FORMER PINKO PRESIDENT LET them have them???????? Is Teddy Boy gonna use that $300M to investigate Bill the Pimp and Madeleine "I Kept My Job Because I Am Too Old And Ugly For Bill To Want To Do Me" Albright?

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

At this point im kinda torn. I'm a republican and was all for the war effort...but i feel misled at this point. They painted a picture as if these WMD's were so prevalent that you can trip over one on a playground and itd be the norm.

But now its been how many months and they haven't found one. Seems that Bush is left grasping at straws. If they don't find any weapons...I will be questioning what the real motive was behind this war.

...I will be questioning what the real motive was behind this war.

The real motive behind the war was to prevent the mass slaughter of Americans by Islamic extremists, as happened on 11 September 2001. Removing Saddam Hussein from power and installing a free, democratic Government in Iraq is one huge step in accomplishing this for 2 reasons; to remove forever his threat of WMDs and open the door finally in the Middle East for true free, liberal democratic passions to spread. Don't think that because WMDs are not laying all over the place, that your President's motives are impure. He has shown he cares more about yours and my personal safety than his own political fortunes, something the last President would never understand in a million years.

rexbo...i agree with what you're saying. im not accusing bush of having ill concieved motives...yet.

at this point im just taking it all in.

Try this article from Victor Davis Hanson. This is from a very conservative magazine, not one TigerAl would ever read, but this columnist has been right on during the entire Iraqi war. His writing's have focused on the long view of the entire West vs Islamic Terrorists war we are fighting; and from even before the Iraqi war his predictions have been mostly fulfilled so far.

What’s It All About?

Here is a quote from the author on Jan 17, before the war, regarding WMDs.

"Second, given the history since September 11 the burden of proof of innocence rests with our enemies, not the United States. Terrorists from the Middle East butchered 3,000 of our citizens on our shores in a time of peace. There is no margin of error after 9/11. When we know Saddam Hussein's illegitimate regime sponsors terrorism, pays cash bonuses to suicide murderers, has fought the United States in the past and not lived up to its bilateral and international agreements, and now seeks again to obtain terrible weapons, we have no choice but to act to prevent another catastrophe. Perhaps we will never have 100-percent proof of Saddam Hussein's direct connection with terrorists who use weapons of mass destruction until we are hit; but if we move now to preempt such an attack we will at least know that his evil regime can no longer harm us or his own people."

i saw a clip today from foxnews about the AP article jenn posted here.

first i've seen any about it on TV. it basically just said waht the article said.

if this were true, it seems like it'd be a bigger story than this.

ct

there will be a lot of disappointed people if WMDs are found.

they would never admit as much, but lots of people are taking glee in our heretofore inability to find them.

a sad commentary on where politics has gone over the past several years.

ct

there will be a lot of disappointed people if WMDs are found.

they would never admit as much, but lots of people are taking glee in our heretofore inability to find them.

a sad commentary on where politics has gone over the past several years.

ct

Sadly, I think you are right. Some in the democratic party have placed themselves in that position.

Archived