Thoughts from the Weekend

I wanted to share my thoughts on what is now the SEC West leading Auburn Tigers.  Arkansas has already dropped two in Lexington (surprising for sure) so they will be at best tied with us and Ole Miss at 9-9 for the Western division lead.  Here are my thoughts on the team and the rest of the SEC stretch.

-I love Andrews and Fradejas at the top of the order, really set the table well.

-Varandore pitched great Thursday, I really hope is arm is fine.

-We have no other consistent starters, I have the most confidence in Luckie just because he didn't pitch this weekend.

-Our bullpen pitched really well this weekend props to Hendrix, Ray, and Smith for holding strong.

-Wallen and Ortman are our best options out of the pen and I have confidence in them.

-Alvord needs to prove he can field in practice before he plays again.

-Beisner needs to only be used as a pinch-hitter.

-Hopefully Gilmer has worked his way back in the lineup.

-Can we please win 2 midweek games this week.

-Lets win 1 in Columbia next weekend and our last 3 weekends should be winnable series.

I really believe 16 wins will win the West this year.  If we win 1 in Columbia, then take 2 vs UGA, Bama, and UT I think we will win the West.  That whole prediction rides on Varandore's arm as well as at least 1 other guy stepping up and starting for us.  The West is really weak.  Would love to hear any other opinions on the team and the race at this point.

Thoughts on other SEC teams

-Mississippi State will finish strong, they could get to 14 wins and steal an SEC tournament bid from us if we slip up at all.

-Alabama will fall off, I think they could be the 4th team left out.

-Ole Miss will get swept by UF next week and will be battling uphill for the rest of the year (we have to avoid getting swept).

-I have no idea what Arkansas will do the rest of the way.

Here's my thoughts on the weekend:

1. Varnadore is back to his usual dominant self

2. Our other two starter spots are up in the air. I don't think Blatt needs to start, I got to actually watch his start, and he was struggling the whole time. John Luke did better, but not by much. We gotta shore up at least one more solid starter to make a tournament run.

3. The bullpen is back. I agree, I feel fine handing a lead over to Wallen or Ortman. Ray and Slade did great. I still don't trust Hendrix until he can consistently find the strike zone.

4. Luckie could be hurt, and Irvin is off the team. This means problems, especially is Luckie's injury is severe. We need all the arms we can get.

5. The offense is coming around. I disagree about Alvord. Unless he makes like two errors in his next game, I say play him. Once he figures out SEC pitchers, he'll start raking. I do want Gilmer to start playing 3rd though, and move Gamache back to DH.

6. Brooks and Cullen can be used as defensive replacements, but neither should start over Bobby unless his wrist isn't good to go

7. We're #1!!!!!!

I know the OP said we need to win 1 in Columbia. While I get where you're coming from, USCe is the kind of team that we need to prove we can beat in a series. I mean if we assume that winning one in Columbia is a good thing then what are our overall expectations for the year? Just to make the SEC Tourney? Just to make a Regional? I'm ready for us to turn the corner with our baseball program. We got a little taste last year hosting a regional and giving Clemson all they wanted. I want more this year. I want to make a statement. Please understand that I'm not attacking you or even disagreeing with you. If we win only one in Columbia then so be it. It's better than getting swept any day. I just think that this weekend could be a turning point for our season.

South Carolina is so good that I'd be glad to take one. I'm hoping we don't get swept. I'm not sure AU is in a place to take a series from them yet. At least not this season. USCe is really hot right now, and I don't know of many teams that could win a series against them at this point in the season. Even Vandy couldn't do it.

I hope our guys have the mentality of winning the series, I'm just being realistic.  I remember going into Arkansas last year just wanting to win 1.  We gave everything we had (threw Hubbard 3 innings I believe) and won on Saturday.  The pressure was off us and back on them for Sunday and we ran away with the game.  Of course we turned the corner and got hot and ended up hosting a regional after another great series at Ole Miss.  If we could steal a game Friday or Saturday the pressure will mount on USC on Sunday and maybe we can steal the series.

My expectations were lowered after the Miss St and Vandy series.  We only have 1 decent starter who didn't even pitch 2 weekends ago, so its hard to expect to host a regional or make it to the CWS as it stands.  We do keep scrapping victories so maybe we can exceed expectations once again.

There's always a chance Auburn could win the series. I certainly don't think it's hopeless. But I watched So. Carolina play both Vandy and MSU, and they are really,really good. I'm not sure Auburn can hold them off for two games. I am just being realistic, but Auburn has a way of defying the odds.

:believe:

It appears so far this year that no one besides Varnadore can handle the pressure of starting an SEC game. Luckie, Jon Luke, and Smith have all had incredible long relief outings but when handed the ball in the 1st inning they pitch scared. If we wanna do anything big this season someone has to step up and give us a 2nd arm. Also our defense is pathetic. No other way to say it. Alvord, Hargett, Andrews, and McElroy are all HUGE liabilities on the field. That has to change. However I believe we are seeing that old fight we used to have at beginning of year and last year. We quit fighting in a few early SEC games but after the past 2 series we seem to have brought back that mindset which can help us recover and deal with all our other problems. Glad we back on top but long way to go!

It all starts with pitching. Less hits, less base runners....less chance to make an error. Less errors made....the more confidence the pitcher has in throwing what he needs to throw in order to win. Right now there is nothing much for either the pitchers or the guys in the field to build on.

Archived