DBs in the NFL discussion (from Geno Smith Thread)

AUnCullman

Exactly which DB's have Nick Saban sent to the NFL????  :dunno:

People make it sound like he has dozens in the NFL, I am trying to think of just one. I know the kid last year that the NFL coach said he needed alot more coaching to be an NFL player but who else?   :-\

On top of that, who has more Thorpe award winners, Chizik or Saban? I've never wondered what the obsession has been with Saban. Yes, he's a great recruiter, but in order for him to win games, he has to have 5 star caliber athletes, because, if you ever notice, he is not good at in-game adjustments. He's not the type of coach who can coach up a kid who is a 2 or 3 star to a high level. He's a type of coach who takes exceptional athletes and just polishes them. Also, I am tired of hearing how many players he has put in the NFL. If you are good, no matter where you play in college, you will be drafted in the NFL. So please, save the Saban has great NFL credentials, because he doesn't, except of being a failure in the NFL....

On top of that, who has more Thorpe award winners, Chizik or Saban? I've never wondered what the obsession has been with Saban. Yes, he's a great recruiter, but in order for him to win games, he has to have 5 star caliber athletes, because, if you ever notice, he is not good at in-game adjustments. He's not the type of coach who can coach up a kid who is a 2 or 3 star to a high level. He's a type of coach who takes exceptional athletes and just polishes them. Also, I am tired of hearing how many players he has put in the NFL. If you are good, no matter where you play in college, you will be drafted in the NFL. So please, save the Saban has great NFL credentials, because he doesn't, except of being a failure in the NFL....

well, though i somewhat agree with you, marcel dareus (sp?, too lazy to look it up) was a 3 star and he just went first round.  not saying he was that "coached up" per se (because i think he was a diamond in the rough) but he certainly wasn't a five star talent out of high school.  saban is a good coach but i agree, the obsession the media has with him could be a little overboard

Exactly which DB's have Nick Saban sent to the NFL????  :dunno:

People make it sound like he has dozens in the NFL, I am trying to think of just one. I know the kid last year that the NFL coach said he needed alot more coaching to be an NFL player but who else?   :-\

Javier Arenas?

Simeon Castille

Ramzee Robinson

Kareem Jackson

Rashad Johnson

Marquis Johnson

Roman Harper

Did they all play for Saban?

You could slash Roman Harper.  I think that was before  :devil: time.

You are correct, he and Peprah left the year before weeman graced the Crapstone.

Saban gets a lot of credit for getting players to the league. I think that credit is undeserved. I would be willing to bet that if someone compared the overall average of 4 and 5 star players that make it to the NFL and compared that average to Sabans average of putting his own 4 and 5 star players in the league it would shock quit a few people. For all the hype he gets for preparing people for the NFL would anybody care to guess the number of all pro selections that Saban coached in college? Lots of bust but to my knowledge 0 pro bowlers.

Saban gets a lot of credit for getting players to the league. I think that credit is undeserved. I would be willing to bet that if someone compared the overall average of 4 and 5 star players that make it to the NFL and compared that average to Sabans average of putting his own 4 and 5 star players in the league it would shock quit a few people. For all the hype he gets for preparing people for the NFL would anybody care to guess the number of all pro selections that Saban coached in college? Lots of bust but to my knowledge 0 pro bowlers.

Easier to get a 4-5 star to the NFL than a 2-3 star player. An excellent player can go to the NFL regardless what university he goes to. 4-5 stars to the NFL is not breaking new ground from the coaching standpoint. If you can take a 2-3 star diamond in the rough, so to speak, and get him to the NFL that is real true coaching.

Easier to get a 4-5 star to the NFL than a 2-3 star player. An excellent player can go to the NFL regardless what university he goes to. 4-5 stars to the NFL is not breaking new ground from the coaching standpoint. If you can take a 2-3 star diamond in the rough, so to speak, and get him to the NFL that is real true coaching.

That's simply isn't true. There are more 3 star players in the NFL than 4 and 5 stars because the number of 3 star players are more. You fail to realize that a 3 star is a major college prospect. I don't put too much stock in star rankings. Auburn wouldn't have won the NC if that was the case.

That's simply isn't true. There are more 3 star players in the NFL than 4 and 5 stars because the number of 3 star players are more. You fail to realize that a 3 star is a major college prospect. I don't put too much stock in star rankings. Auburn wouldn't have won the NC if that was the case.

Plus if you look at the number of 4/5 stars (especially top 100s and stuff) you notice a lot don't pan out due to work ethic, off-field issues, etc. 3 stars don't have the mega spotlight on them and don't feel "entitled," so to speak, because of a perceived status. More ground to till, but hey, who knows what you might dig up?

:wareagle:

Plus if you look at the number of 4/5 stars (especially top 100s and stuff) you notice a lot don't pan out due to work ethic, off-field issues, etc. 3 stars don't have the mega spotlight on them and don't feel "entitled," so to speak, because of a perceived status. More ground to till, but hey, who knows what you might dig up?

:wareagle:

I'm glad you can justify it to yourselves so you can sleep better at night.  The probability of a 5* making it to the next level is much greater than that of a 3*...PERIOD.  Also notice the initial post said 'average' not total numbers.  You're fooling yourselves if you think it's better to recruit 3* rather than 5* in most cases.

This issue came up a while a go - a few years ago at least. Someone had some statistics about the different stars. There is a correlation of stars to going pro albeit not near a given. A higher PERCENTAGE of 4-5 star players make it to the pro than 3*. But, I'd believe there were fewer 4-5*s because of the sheer number of 3* players.

At the end of the day a select player's personal rating is right probably 60% of the time at best. But, a school that continuously pulls in top ranked classes will be at the top of the rankings. Look at every national champion and they typically have high average class rankings on the rosters - top 10 or so.

Archived