Kick return question

thacheetah11

I want to apologize before hand if this has been asked bit did anyone ask or did anyone even realize that Ryan smith was the return guy first before we froze the kicker? When we reset after the timeout, Chris came out the second time.... I wonder whose decision this ultimately was and I would like to donate a few bucks to his salary... That is all.

WDE

I want to apologize before hand if this has been asked bit did anyone ask or did anyone even realize that Ryan smith was the return guy first before we froze the kicker? When we reset after the timeout, Chris came out the second time.... I wonder whose decision this ultimately was and I would like to donate a few bucks to his salary... That is all.

WDE

I read in an interview it was Coach Johnson that suggested putting a man back there, and it was Malzahn that suggest making it Chris.

"After calling a timeout to ice Alabama kicker Adam Griffith, head coach Gus Malzahn weighed in. He suggested putting Chris Davis, Auburn’s regular punt returner, deep. They did, and what happened next will be talked about for years to come. Davis returned Griffith’s kick 109 yards for the winning touchdown in Auburn’s 34-28 Iron Bowl victory over Alabama."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120113aaa.html

Gus said the timeout was all about getting the correct person in the endzone and on the field for both the kick block and return. when we originally set up we had Ryan back there. We were already set in the standard FG block/kick return set. Gus just wanted to adjust personnel and get the right guys on the field.

Archived