How will this affect the future

AUinVA

I have one question that I would like some opinions on. From what happened this year are these safe assumptions going into the future:

1. If you are not rated in the top ten at the beginning of the season (barring a fluke like last year) can you just toss a NC hope out the window. Do you just tell your players that if you win your conference championship you did the best you can?

How can any team or coach sit there and tell their players this? Also, how do you tell recruits that we will win it all even though you know you will not even if you go undefeated. Is it necessary to play for one of the 6 or 7 glory schools to even get a shot at a NC anymore. I mean USC and OU can go to recruits and say hey, "We will have a shot to play for the NC every year because we really only have to play one team each year to get there. It is so easy for us, while AU has to play week in and out to get there. Unbelievable!!

If the trend continues, this is how it will work:

Team X gets screwed out of national championship game

Team X and it's fans complain about the BCS formula

BCS formula is tweaked to ensure Team X does not get screwed next year

Team Y gets screwed out of national championship game (the next season)

Repeat steps from above

Yes, it is almost impossible to win if you're ranked as low as we were pre-season. The pre-season polls are a crock (i.e. AU last year). The teams should have to play some football before rankings are established. As we've seen, if you start out high, no matter who you beat, you finish high. I think this season should help AU recruiting because Tuberville has finally shown he can win. However, unless a kid is just an AU fan for life, they'll probably go to a USC or OU simply because of the way the system is set up.

This is all the more reason WE NEED A DAMN PLAYOFF!

I have one question that I would like some opinions on. From what happened this year are these safe assumptions going into the future:

1. If you are not rated in the top ten at the beginning of the season (barring a fluke like last year) can you just toss a NC hope out the window. Do you just tell your players that if you win your conference championship you did the best you can?

How can any team or coach sit there and tell their players this? Also, how do you tell recruits that we will win it all even though you know you will not even if you go undefeated. Is it necessary to play for one of the 6 or 7 glory schools to even get a shot at a NC anymore. I mean USC and OU can go to recruits and say hey, "We will have a shot to play for the NC every year because we really only have to play one team each year to get there. It is so easy for us, while AU has to play week in and out to get there.  Unbelievable!!

129213[/snapback]

Not a problem if you're Miami and a freakin' media darling...went from unranked to #1, jumping from 5th to 1st over 3rd ranked Auburn in 1983, after the bowl games...even though AU beat Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.

Just another example of AU getting screwed, and other teams profiting from our failure to impress the elite media!!! :angry:

Hell with em! They can't take away our finest season!

What you are all overlooking is the one and only reason for the BCS.

# 1 reason for the BCS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!

The BCS was set up to protect the bowl system and to give the fans #1 against #2, to give fans a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. It has done those things. It (BCS) has protected the $$$ money the "big" schools receive and for the most part kept the smaller schools out of the BCS payoff. By giving fans an illusion of a true championship, the BCS has in truth actually kept fans from what they want. To the men in the smoke filled rooms, it does not matter that a very deserving team, (AUBURN), will be kept out of the championship game. All that matters is that they have #1 against #2. They promised you that and they gave you that. Right & wrong does not matter to them, only $$$$$$$.

Archived