I really like Vandy's hire at HC

BamaGrad03

Mason has really impressed me so far. Granted, none of it has been 'on the field' but I really like this guy. And honestly, snagging Stanfords DC is a bigger get than I thought Vandy could do.

I hate how Franklin did Vandy on the way out, I hope they have a decent season and make that guy a distant memory.

I like him, too. I hope he can continue what Franklin started. I think it's good for the SEC and college football if they stay competitive.

Vanderbilt owes James Franklin a debt of gratitude. If not for what he built, they probably would have had to aim lower than Derek Mason. I know they were not happy that he left (who would be -- it's kinda like your wife telling you she's leaving to marry Tom Cruise: you know he's better looking and has more money, and she probably has a better future with him, but you hoped she loved you enough to stay with you anyway), and that he convinced some of the Vandy commits to follow him to Happy Valley (in theory they committed to Vandy, but in reality it's mostly about the relationships built with the staff, most of whom are now at PSU), but I thought his departure was about as good as it could have been. Did I miss something?

I think they do owe him for building the program up, but I've never seen an outgoing coach poach his previous team's commits as badly as Franklin did. I also think the way he handled the rape accusation stuff was very poor and left a black eye on Vandy's face.

He just didn't "hold the rope"......No wait......That was ANOTHER exiting Coach....... :jossun:

Kiffen and Orgeron tried to poach TN recruits pretty bad when they left.

Yeah and crap like that is why Kiffin is no longer a HC.

Umm Kiffin sucks, that's why he's on longer a HC.

Vandy still hasn't seen the repercussions of Franklin's dealing with the rape case. Vandy may still suffer for Franklin's actions in that fiasco.

One of the biggest contributors to him sucking as an HC was his constant struggle with maturity/character decisions.

One of the biggest contributors to him sucking as an HC was his constant struggle with maturity/character decisions.

His or his players'?

Sorry... couldn't resist.

His or his players'?

Oh completely his. Sorry, that wasn't clear as worded. I absolutely think Lane is no longer a head coach because he wasn't mature enough to handle the position.

Nor smart enough..........

His or his players'?

Oh completely his. Sorry, that wasn't clear as worded. I absolutely think Lane is no longer a head coach because he wasn't mature enough to handle the position.

Well, he's got a golden opportunity to redeem himself. If and that's a big "if" LK can swallow his pride, take some direction from one of the best college coaches in the buisness, learn some self restraint and discipline then he may be able to get his career back on track. He will be forced to STFU because NS keeps a muzzle on his staff, that's probably a good thing for someone like LK. I'm just not sure humility is in LK's vocabulary. We'll see.

Well, he's got a golden opportunity to redeem himself. If and that's a big "if" LK can swallow his pride, take some direction from one of the best college coaches in the buisness, learn some self restraint and discipline then he may be able to get his career back on track. He will be forced to STFU because NS keeps a muzzle on his staff, that's probably a good thing for someone like LK. I'm just not sure humility is in LK's vocabulary. We'll see.

Unfortunately for Lane, I can see him turning a successful season (assuming we have one offensively) into being about him, and trying to parlay that into another HC job prematurely. I think he's a good offensive mind and an elite qb coach. But I'm not sold on him having learned his lesson with his mouth and ego.

I think they do owe him for building the program up, but I've never seen an outgoing coach poach his previous team's commits as badly as Franklin did. I also think the way he handled the rape accusation stuff was very poor and left a black eye on Vandy's face.

James Franklin did nothing wrong in the rape allegation case. He and Vandy were victims of bad or biased reporting based on half-truths and innuendo. Auburn fans are all too familiar with that.

As for the poaching, I don't think for a minute that every departing coach doesn't try to poach every one of his recruits. If you want to hate Franklin because he's better at it than anyone else, then you know part of why so many people dislike your coach.

If you want to hate Franklin because he's better at it than anyone else, then you know part of why so many people dislike your coach.

OK?

The only person in west Vance that is a bigger jerk than lame is the munchkin. They deserve each other.

Archived