Why Poor People Stay Poor

AUDub

12 hours ago, alexava said:

This is what i mean when i say i know people who seem to "expect" to be poor. They work hard, they are not dumb or untrainable but ignorant and oblivious to facts and basic knowledge that could change their finances. I also see people do it to themselves too and they do know better. However I still think it is largely an inherited problem.

Sounds like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor-Teach-Middle/dp/1612680011

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, maxwere said:

The point is?  People are born into unequal economic circumstances or lack of economic education or a perpetuate nature that effects the cure?

The point is phrasing this as "moral" or "values" issue ignores the reality of people born into poverty.

Let me try and spell something out systematically that the author fails with his silly circumstantial anecdotes.

Just to be clear, my a priori assumptions are as follows:

• Poverty is relative.
  • Humanity is less poor today than anytime in human history.
  • Man will never fully eliminate poverty from the Earth.
  • Humans begin in drastically economically different starting points (in the west in general, this country in particular, that is not nearly as heavily correlated to where they end up as is widely believed).

Given that, I'd say the common characteristics observed for upward movers are:

1. Implications of History, the past, present and future matter.  Without which saving is impossible.
  2. Fiscal discipline.  Basic finance and economics, but also the willingness to deny today to save for tomorrow.
  3. Skills attainment.  Knowledge and discipline to improve ones economic value in the marketplace.
  4. Independence & Accountability.  Ownership of bad choices and process to learn and correct from them.

Now consider what John Taylor Gatto (c1990) has to say about compulsory schooling here (these are the adults of today): https://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-Curriculum-Compulsory-Anniversary/dp/0865714487

56eHi6XyzAMi8W6desWVd6EhASGYczNzdVqtbu7O

Tp06dKSkpsbGwWFhawVBkltsVrTElJ0dfXB4fRf5

FYqFQqLe3NxqNor4gyB+hECUGAhZFUfb392G7Qbu

Archived