Softball vs. St. Francis

WarTiger

Martin sets them down in order in the 7th and a complete game shut out for Martin.   Auburn wins 5-0.   Auburn surrendered only 2 hits today.   11-0 on the season.

I like the Snow sisters.  They are going to be special this season and seasons to come.  Martin is a different pitcher than last year.  I am feeling better about this season with each game.  

WAR EAGLE LADIES!!

the Snow sisters are definitely living up to the hype so far.   I love the change in philosophy with Mickey Dean.   Draper stole  bases all season last year..  She has 10 already.  I never understood why we didn't take better advantage of her speed and the speed of others that we have.     So it appears we are and its paying off.

I was finally able to attend some games and was at today's games.  Here are a few observations:

Taylon Snow is a hitting machine.  What can I say?  She hits the ball where they ain't.

Victoria Draper is a base stealing machine.  She get's from first to second in the blink of an eye.  When she wasn't getting hit by pitches, she was placing the ball very well.

Shea looks much improved this year.  She looks slimmer physically and her arm strength is vastly improved.  In pre-game and in between games, she worked quite a bit                throwing from her knees and was making strong throws.

She still needs to work. on blocking balls in the dirt, but I see a much better catcher this year.

Veach is struggling on defense and it may be affecting her offense.  I noticed in pre-game warmups she struggles with the short hops, which is strange  after

the year she had last year at first base where she constantly made great scoops to save her infielders.  She's made a lot of errors so far and I think it's affecting her bat.

Makayla was dominant tonight.  It should almost be illegal to throw 67 mph drop balls, but I'm glade she's on our side.  She struggled with her changeup early in the game, but  started throwing it for strikes in the later innings.

The SF pitcher changed speeds very well and kept our hitters off balance all night.  It really bothered JP, KK, and Veach as well as Riveria.  The SF coach calling pitches fell in love with the changeup and  we finally adjusted and started  sitting on it.  Tannon's HR was on a changeup.

The top of our order is hitting well.  I hope they can keep it up when the SEC season starts.  We need more from the bottom, as usual.

I read where the only ranked ACC softball  team is FSU.  I can believe it.  Watching Maryland play, it was hard to believe they were a Power 5 team.  They finally brought in a        pitcher (their 3rd) who threw over 60 mph consistently.

Overall, I don't see how we will finish sixth in the conference as was predicted.  We're better that that.

War Eagle!!

A couple of additional points:

Carlson isn't throwing the rise ball close enough to the zone to get swings and her change-up isn't close either.  This has got to change.

KK is striking out way too much for a number 2 hitter.  More than once Victoria would get on First, steal Second and KK would leave her there with an unproductive strikeout.  I know CMD doesn't like wasting outs, but letting her bunt in those situations may help get her confidence back.  In most of these situations, Taylon bailed her out with a RBI hit.

I like Chardonnay Harris in the reliever job.  She has a nice easy delivery, but brings it.  Sneaky fast.  Being a lefty doesn't hurt either.

Archived