Vandy leaving the SEC?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

BIRMINGHAM, AL - SEC Comissioner Mike Slive will hold a press conference on Monday to announce that Vanderbilt will be leaving the SEC, leading a group of schools that will form a conference of Southern Ivy League type schools to be known as the Kudzu Conference. Vanderbilt Chancellor Gordon Gee is believed to make statements this evening that a confederation of southern academic institutions would benefit the students, fans, players, and coaches by creating a level playing field for those schools interested in graduating students.

A source close to Vanderbilt's adminsitration who wished to remain nameless stated, "The anticipated announcement this evening has been a long time coming. No one other than those against the word 'confederation' has remarked negatively about the proposed Kudzu Conference.

Guest Tigrinum Major
April Fools!   :big:

153823[/snapback]

Good catch, TM. I was hoping since it was posted so late that people would have forgotten.

Vandy has enough "old money" coming into the school that they don't have to win big to stay in the conference. However, I do believe that they would be better off in another conference so long as their philosophy remains the same as it has been with regard to winning, graduation, etc. One thing that has always puzzled me is WHY they don't turn loose of some of the $$$ and hire a proven winner to lead them to winning seasons AND maintain high graduation rates? Just a thought! WDE! :au:

Not only does Vandy have "old money" coming into the school, but they share the revenue of the SEC which is considerable. If they were to move to another conference there would be a huge drop off in sports $$$$$ for them. Economically it is to their advantage to stay in the SEC. Whether they ever win in football or not. They are usually competitive in basketball and baseball.

April Fools!    :big:

153823[/snapback]

Good catch, TM. I was hoping since it was posted so late that people would have forgotten.

153840[/snapback]

Well. the idea of southern "Ivy League-type" schools naming themselves after kudzu raised my suspicions. "Kudzu" sounds about right for branch campuses & community colleges in Alabama, but not "Ivy League" types! :lol:

It would not be to our advantage to swap Troy State for uat. Troy State has a good Football program. :D

April Fools or not, I would like to kick Vandy out and bring Louisville in...

I want a piece of Petrino...Also Rick Petino would be a nice addition to the basketball side!

Petrino is going to have a cake walk to the BCS in the new Big East. I wish they would take the Big East out of the BCS alliance but that is a different topic!!!

Guest Tigrinum Major

BIRMINGHAM, AL - In an update to the news of Vanderbilt University leaving the SEC for an as yet unnamed conference of Southern Ivy-league type schools, Commissioner Mike Slive announced today that Vanderbilt's place in the East Division would be filled by the University of Miami. "It just makes sense," replied Slive when asked about the newest member of the conference. "They fit the mold of what the East represents: dominant football teams with no regard for public safety. With the news out of Athens, Knoxville and Columbia in recent days and Folrida's long history of low class behavior, Miami will have to go a little more 'thug' if they expect to compete this coming fall."

In a related story, UK announced that they would be dropping football after the 2005 season, prompting Slive to respond, "I thought they quit playing football around 1994 in Lexington."

No one with any journalistic integrity contributed to this report.

Archived