Barkley on why he didn’t lose weight at Auburn

al.com

Charles Barkley on why he didn’t lose weight at Auburn, makes Zion Williamson comparison

Published: May. 05, 2024, 1:20 p.m.

2–3 minutes

When Charles Barkley sees Zion Williamson, he sees a reflection of himself.

Don’t misunderstand the former Auburn star, he quickly admits the New Orleans Pelicans star is more athletic and explosive then he ever was.

But as players, both deal - or dealt - with a similar issue: Weight.

The Inside the NBA analyst began his Auburn career at 300 pounds. From the day he began his career on The Plains, he led the team - and the SEC - in rebounding. In short, that’s why he didn’t try to lose weight.

“I led the league in rebounding every year,” Barkley told Shannon Sharpe on his podcast Club Shay Shay. “I led it every year. I’m not thinking about flaws. I think I’m doing pretty good. I’m not thinking about losing weight.”

RELATED: Barkley reveals when he almost did cocaine

Barkley said his coach at Auburn Sonny Smith “tried to get me to lose weight.”

It generally ended with them fighting early in his career. “I had to go back and apologize,” Barkley said. “I had to say, “You were right.’ I should’ve lose some weight sooner. I could’ve been better. When you are 18 and having success, you think you’re good.”

And for that reason, he said, Williamson reminds Barkley of himself.

“I got in share for $2 million,” he said. “The money these guys are making today, I’d be damn near anorexic.”

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Haha 1

I don't agree with some of what he says, but I can mostly get along with folks that say what they think. And he will admit when he's wrong. Politics aside, he would be fun to have a beer or two with. Or so many you have to call an Uber to get home .....

• Like 1