Brodie calls Southern Miss play dirty

Draven

Anybody wanna hear some good lawyer jokes?  :big:

181073[/snapback]

I'll go ahead and move the thread as appropriate if they are good!!!

How about you AUesquire??

Good officials (and you don't get into the SEC without being a good official) make calls automatically WHEN THEY SEE THEM.

181040[/snapback]

Maybe in other leagues but in the SEC the way you become an official is to join the same country club as Bobby Gaston. I have heard many an SEC beat reporter talk about how all the officials in the SEC are golfing buddies and were before becoming officials. The SEC is the only conference where the commissioner has little or no say so over the officials. Bobby Gaston is all powerful and answers to know one. It is the major flaw with our league.

One thing I can say about Alabama is that in their many years of playing seldom have they played dirty ball. The lone exceptions were during the Ray Perkins era and Shula's teams have that same "extra step" mentality when it comes to the QB and hits along the boundary. We seem to forget that Bama tagged the crap out of the USM QB on their next possession in a similar situation – false start, whistle blown, and the defensive player took a whack at the USM QB. The differences were that Bama’s hit was clearly retaliation whereas the USM hit could be summed up to over zealous play and of course the Tide was not flagged for their cheap shot.

Archived